XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

New air spring repair idea

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts
Default New air spring repair idea

Ok, im gonna throw this out and someone needs to try it. I use Green slime in my wheel barow, and riding mower tires and it works very well keeping air in them much longer than without. I also only buy green slime inner tube for my bike tires too. So someone with leaking air spring should try this. You dont have anything to loose and may fix the problem. you need to pull out the brass adapter that the air line screw into. and you may even need to remove the spring and put slime in it and let it sit upside down for awhile to get the slime up in th top and then reinstall the shock. any takers that wanna try it??????
green slime is much better than ifx a flat beciuse fix a flat just stays a liquid in your tire rolling around to screw up the tire balance. But green slime tends to stay in place at leaks and seal

Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wrong forum, Brutal!

But I'll have to look into slime bike tubes.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Yep and yet i clicked on the 04 and up forum

Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

OK, sorted

Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Heh Heh, BRUTAL, I had just finished writing a very very strong email to the person who reported this post. Outlining policy and defending the honour of our Techs and stating that calling you an 'Effing Moron' was totaly unacceptable behaviour and would result in being hung drawn and quartered with a lifetime ban thrown in for good measure.

When, like a plonker it dawned on me that you had reported yourself; DOH

So yes no problem will move the post. (thanks for the laugh). Oh looks like Caddie beat me to it.

Going to try the slime trick in my wheel barrows, if I can find any.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Used a Lot on Land Rovers

I've seen this posted a lot on Land Rover forums - seems that quite a few people get positive results with the stuff in the air shocks on those vehicles.

I would suggest maybe a different product than Green Slime. Although I do not have any personal experience with that product, in the motorcycle world it is generally thought to be one of the worst of those types of products for leak repairs. I HAVE use a similar product from NAPA - a thick tan goo that successfully stopped a nasty leak around a big angled hole in a bike tire that a plug just couldn't completely seal.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by translator
heh heh, brutal, i had just finished writing a very very strong email to the person who reported this post. Outlining policy and defending the honour of our techs and stating that calling you an 'effing moron' was totaly unacceptable behaviour and would result in being hung drawn and quartered with a lifetime ban thrown in for good measure.

When, like a plonker it dawned on me that you had reported yourself; doh

so yes no problem will move the post. (thanks for the laugh). Oh looks like caddie beat me to it.

going to try the slime trick in my wheel barrows, if i can find any.
lol, i can laugh at myself

Old 02-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 754 Likes on 632 Posts

Brilliant idea!

I would have thought that you are in the ideal position to try this Brutal since you have access to a supply of failed air springs. You could try this "on the bench". Inject the liquid then roll the spring around as you say for a while.
Fit one of your pressure gauges, pressurise the spring and see what happens to the pressure reading.
It could work!

I have recently dismantled my air compressor and am looking to have a new piston seal made.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Using a tyre sealer or similar, (if it works), sounds like the answer to the maiden's prayer ! However, what sort of pressure do these things operate at ? A car tyre is around 35 psi, a sealer would have to be very, very, good if it is a 100 psi or more in the unit, surely ?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

hey, for an experiment, I think its a great idea. I'm sure someone out there has one lying around, perhaps from their own replacement...but might have had to send it in for a core, unless the dealer gave back the damaged one. C'mon group, someone offer up the part for the experiment (or two) and then someone else volunteer to do the lab work.

Unless brutal wants to go dumpster diving, I have heard that is the only way techs can get some 'discarded' items replaced during repairs. I believe someone told me everything is documented as to its disposal/recycled/salvaged means...and its a no-no at the dealer to openly save parts...at least until it ends up in the public dumpster.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Better to go dumpster diving than dumpster driving!

Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

It's hard to imagine that "slime" could stand up to 100 lbs+ pressure but stranger things have happened. I recently replaced an air shock. Wish I had heard of this idea before.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM

I dont see why it wouldnt work at 100 psi. It sure works fine on my road bike tires and theyre aired to 100psi. All right it looks like im gonna have to be the one to put in the effort since i have slime and can get used airsprings......ratsso fratso mamby pamby *&%^#@(*/

Old 02-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Brutal, I think everybody with an X350 will be eagerly awaiting the results of your tests ! Think of it, one would only need to spend a few pounds (or dollars) instead of hundreds.

Worth a look in my opinion

Old 02-18-2011, 04:30 PM

^^^ yeah but what do I get out of it
and 20 or 30 thumbs up thankyous???

The following users liked this post:
hlgeorge (02-18-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

^Nah, it's got to be worth a whole hand. lol

Unless of course you can get some of the slimy stuff from China, repackage it and name it 'BRUTAL AIR SPRING CURE', then flog it, through the Auto Parts stores.

I'll just take 5% off the top for the idea.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wonderful idea

I do hope your suggestion, or similar, works. I've not had to change out suspension bags on the X350 yet, but I've done it on a '93 Lincoln MK VIII and a '97 Lincoln Continental. It's not hard on those cars, but the parts are expensive. Of course, even more so on the Jag, even rebuilt. It's just one more thing of a myriad of things that can and most likely will go wrong. Does the world really need an ever more complicated sybaritic cocoon to languish in getting from point A to point B? I don't think they do and I for one found my 66 MK X the most comfortable car to travel in I ever had and also the most reliable with everything anyone would ever need for cosseted traversal. The Continental was a close second. I've done long trips in both the X308 and the X350 and they aren't any better, if as good, than either of those.

As for no-no dumpster diving, what's up with that? They're throwing it away, aren't they? Does it offend some sensibility that Mammon would object to? Here in Fort Worth their dumpster is now behind a chain link fence so it would be very difficult. However, many moons ago before that was the case, I chanced to see some stuff fluttering in the breeze when passing by it and decided to look. I managed to rescue some pretty good shop manuals and a, by now rare, mid-sixties Jaguar color and interior leather availability "brochure" complete with leather swatches and a clear plastic page with the three current models, E-Type, MK X and MK II printed in black outline which one could overlay on the color pages and see what that car would look like in any available color. BTW, the MK X was not available in Carmen Red. A really very nice item and far better than anything handed out today. Progress, bah!

Brian

Old 02-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 754 Likes on 632 Posts

Another thought on the air spring repair idea.

If you pressurise a spring on the bench, do you need a jig to clamp it to prevent over extension?

On the vehicle the spring is loaded with the weight of the car when pressurised.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Yes.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:33 PM

actually no they dont overextend. I have aired them to 100-125psi without issue. And if this works Im gonna have some for Ebay
So far so good. I filled and aired one this morning. I dont think it will help with big leakers, but small and ones that drop when cold may be just the trick. And so far Ive filled and had to turn up side down and roll around

Quick Reply: New air spring repair idea