XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

New First Time Owner - Need Help with Radio and Voice Co

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New First Time Owner - Need Help with Radio and Voice Co

Folks:
I've always admired the styling of Jaguar cars and finally couldn't take the pressure and bought a used 2006 XJR here in Texas. It looks like a new car inside and out but with 98,500 miles "on the clock" has a variety of problems I'm going to need to address. So, you'll see a couple of posts by me describing each of the issues I'm trying to resolve. Any help that can be offered will be much appreciated.

First problem:
a) None of the lower (5-1/4 inch I think) door speakers are operational. Sound comes from the front dashboard mounted speakers the small upper door tweeters and the rear subwoofer but nothing from the lower Alpine door speakers in either the front or rear doors. Has anyone had this happen to them?
b) How do you select the Sirius satellite radio receiver embedded in the center console? Cycling thru the radio input Modes takes me between AM and FMA bands but includes no other input mode. There's no mention of Sirius satellite radio and how it operates in the owners manual.
c) I can't get the voice recognition system to work. Pressing the left steering column button only Mutes the radio. I know from the owners manuals that the system is supposed to go into "Listening" mode but that doesn't happen. The touch screen and instrument panel informational display only indicate "Muting".

Thanks in advance for you help.
Brian
Fort Worth, TX

Old 05-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

a.Do a search for "door speakers"--the Alpine speakers fail occasionally. There are some really good write ups.

b. can" t help.

c.are you sure the Voice Recognition System is fitted. I have the controls but the system is not fitted.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Six Rotors. I'll search on "door speakers" and see what comes up. I find it amazing that all 4 could fail at the same time but I guess stranger things have been known to occur.

As for JaguarVoice, I thought it was standard equipment but perhaps not. Could be one reason it's not working (because it's not there).

I've stumbled across the instructions to dealers to install the Sirius satellite radio and it mentions the frequency output by the unit. I'll test to see if that works.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:23 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

In the Sirius display unit, press menu and you'll eventually see Freq options. There you can set the frequency and whether the frequency override is on of off.

As for question C, the behavior you're describing is what happens if you don't have the Jaguar Voice module installed.

The following users liked this post:
BadDog42 (05-13-2015)