XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

New front Bilstien Air Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 261 Posts

Oldish git,

In one of the links I provided above, thinking that it may be relevant and useful (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acking-143073/), there was a mediafire link provided by Don B towards a Jaguar training course on air suspension and ECATS, explaining how the suspensions system is designed and works, 28 pages of text, tables and drawings.
It explains in particular how the car puts istself in jacking mode and what this means.

You may have your own opinion on what Jaguar recommends or claims, up to you.
People who post here on your thread are trying to help you.
So please be more open and make your homework before dismissing advice from members here as being rubbish .
Otherwise you'll remain alone on your thread.
Not what you are seeking, eh?

The following users liked this post:
oldish git (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 10:14 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank-you for the above post.
It was perfect and yes I go off on one but not intentionally.
I am meant to wait until my carers are here to help what I say and write as my brain damage is annoying and affected my thinking and personality.

My carer came in at 3pm and I showed her what I have been asking and all she said was it's was my own fault for not waiting to get help.

I am meant to email my carers before I send any letters or anything really for them to know what I'm trying to say.

So I apologise totally for going off on one about the car jacking.

I phoned Jaguar direct and they talked me through the entire fault check to see where my system has actually failed.

I have to take all four wheels off the ground BEFORE I disconnect the pipes on the valve block if this has gone faulty, if not the rear wheels will sink.(This is only if I have to remove and replace the valve block assembly).

Because I have the rear working already and one front they talked me through how to find the problem before I remove the valve block pipes.

I have to remove the front driver-side pipe from the rear valve block and connect it up to a compressor and it should inflate the front drivers shock.
This has to be done obviously with the wheels back on the ground.
If this works then the air-pipe is perfect from front to rear.

OR I can remove the two front air-pipes from the valves and swap them over and if the passenger side does not lift then 100% shows the valve has failed.

They said only two things are causing the failure, this is after I explained I swapped the front shocks over to check if the actual new shock was faulty, which showed me only the drivers side front is faulty.

If air is escaping in a burst in the pipe they said you will not always here it as when it runs inside the passenger side sill it is muffled and acts like a silencer as it goes to the rear valve assembly.

I also asked about the air-compressor and he talked me through how to check it for air/power and strength.

He listened to it over the phone with me when I connected it up and it sounds perfect. I did an air test on it and it was then he said this is fine but weak, so if I can, change the piston seal and this will put it back up to full compression.

p.s Hold the compressor in your hand and wait until you feel the vibration these things give off when running and you will soon see why it is suspended on rubbers and springs.

So once again, sorry for going off on one as all I was trying to find out was what will happen when I remove the entire pipes from the rear boot valve assembly block. jaguar told me quite rightly to lift the body and leave the suspension hanging. This way when I put it all back together the air-shocks are not having to be blown up so much, taking the stress out of the compressor of having to do the lifting from zero on all four shocks.

But I still stand about what I said about the car getting twisted and when I asked the Jaguar person who talked me through how to do my repair and fault finding he also said this is rubbish as then Jaguar would state you cannot lift one side to change the tyre and also Jaguar would not supply a jacking kit in the boot for one wheel if this was going to cause the monocockpit to twist.

Standard practice in any garage is to lift both sides, i.e front or rear together as this is easier to work on and everything is level. Ramps are designed to do this automatically.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:37 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Last part when I get the suspension sorted as to why one side is not working.
He talked me through the set-up process which is very easy.

All four wheels have to JUST be touching the ground so you cannot spin them on their hubs with your hands.

Start the engine and wait at LEAST two minutes then lower the rear to 380mm and then the same on the front.

Wait another two mins and then lower all four down to 340mm while the engine is still running.

You should now see all four shocks begin to rise on their own with the car doing the work.

Then remove all jacks or what-ever you use and let the car sit another two mins, engine running and look at all four wheels and check the heights.

Then drive it to Jaguar and have them recalibrate the entire system as sometimes when the fronts are swapped out the actual unit sensor for lifting heights gets disturbed or affected as was done in my case as I removed and replaced rubber bushes for bottom suspension mounting on the bottom arm with the sensor unit so I had to remove the unit and put it back.

The camber is controlled on the bottom rear lateral arm and front bottom arm so this has to be correct BEFORE the height is corrected or adjusted by the computer or this will also affect the ride height.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 261 Posts

Thank you for all this reporting, useful.
No worry for your going off, also understandable when under stress.
Please go on and tell us what is at fault and how you finally repair