XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

New Genuine Mongoose Pro

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,907 Posts

I would think with the year of your car that SDD would drop back to IDS automatically?
I know it does when I work on my friends older XJ's from 2004-2006.

Old 12-07-2021, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 853 Posts

v130 lets you use SDD on even the earliest known car (G00001)

Old 12-07-2021, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Thanks xalty;
Was wondering why my 04 didn't shift to the IDS side of the software

Old 12-08-2021, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks xalty as that explains why mine drops back as I am using V160 SDD.
So many details to know about SDD!

Old 08-08-2022, 12:04 PM
Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi, I have spent quite a bit of time reading all these posts and wanted to ask for some specific advice.

I have the seat back issue on my 2008 XKR where all the motors and switches work, but will not return all the way to vertical position. Both seats started exhibiting the same behavior at the same time. The cause was that I was steam cleaning the carpets and MAY have depleted the battery a little during the process of moving seats back and forth. I have tried pulling all related fuses, the 2-second hold trick, all to no avail.

The dealer wants $250 to reset (recalibrate) the seat module, the independent told me that it is not possible to reset the module (!) and that all the motors and modules will have to be replaced (???!!) ...whatever.

So I am in the process of considering a Mongoose clone cable and the SDD130 software. I downloaded that from a user on Jaguarforum and downloaded the Drew Drive from this forum. I plan on running it on a Mac with XP running in VirtualBox.

I do need to find the cable, and have not decided which to buy - most come from China and are going to take a while e.g. JLR Mongoose Pro.

My question is this. Should I go ahead with this, I am willing to go down the path of an adventure and save some cash, or is there any danger whatsoever of bricking or causing any other damage when it comes to a seat recalibration?

Disclosure - my abilities are pretty advanced when it comes to rebuilding mechanics, not so great with auto computer electronics ! - also pretty good with basic computers abilities.

Many. thanks!

Phil

Old 08-08-2022, 04:21 PM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Keep me in the loop @philbone. I may have to go this route to reprogram my X358's height sensor. I already bought a "new" sensor but I was told by many forum members that programming is necessary.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

PM me and you an have my clone. I had a really junky laptop and it locked up consistently the cable seemed to work okay.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member

philbone wrote
philbone
Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
DefaultHi, I have spent quite a bit of time reading all these posts and wanted to ask for some specific advice.

I have the seat back issue on my 2008 XKR where all the motors and switches work, but will not return all the way to vertical position. Both seats started exhibiting the same behavior at the same time. The cause was that I was steam cleaning the carpets and MAY have depleted the battery a little during the process of moving seats back and forth. I have tried pulling all related fuses, the 2-second hold trick, all to no avail.

The dealer wants $250 to reset (recalibrate) the seat module, the independent told me that it is not possible to reset the module (!) and that all the motors and modules will have to be replaced (???!!) ...whatever.

So I am in the process of considering a Mongoose clone cable and the SDD130 software. I downloaded that from a user on Jaguarforum and downloaded the Drew Drive from this forum. I plan on running it on a Mac with XP running in VirtualBox.

I do need to find the cable, and have not decided which to buy - most come from China and are going to take a while e.g. JLR Mongoose Pro.

My question is this. Should I go ahead with this, I am willing to go down the path of an adventure and save some cash, or is there any danger whatsoever of bricking or causing any other damage when it comes to a seat recalibration?

Disclosure - my abilities are pretty advanced when it comes to rebuilding mechanics, not so great with auto computer electronics ! - also pretty good with basic computers abilities.

Many. thanks!

Phil
Bought a genuine used Jaguar mongoose cable.
The previous owner was a retiring Honda tech.
Said he had bought it used, to program keys???
Called Drew to ask if this sounded legit.
A Jaguar interface cable, used for Honda key programing???
Was told, that connecting it to the Honda software.
Not an issue, would work just fine.
Seems that they all must be similar, if not identical???
Didn't think to ask at the time.
Drew's techs vary, with just how much information, that they provide.
This one was very helpful, me asking about an old well used cable.
Was told that as long as it was flashing green.
Recognized the vin number, goes with your car.
Looked at the modules, it was fine.
Point being, appears that any genuine Mongoose, should work???

Old 11-27-2022, 12:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a China Mongoose and use it without problems in the Win7 VM on Win10. What you also need is a power supply to support the battery. The power consumption is very high and the Jags are very sensitive.
Greetings Torsten

Old 11-27-2022, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Computer power supply module provides a steady 14.2 volts, up to 65 amps of clean power.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

Please read some more the Mongoose cables are NOT all the same and that's one of the huge problem's when people get into this with little to no research. Your going to have a mess!

I have posted this before. Here is all the versions of the Mongoose cable note there are 9 versions of this cable depending on the make/model of car your attempting to work on. Please see below.

Any attempt at reprogramming without the correct JLR cable will NOT work!
Now any cable SHOULD allow you to read codes and that is about the least risky operation you should try.

Also note Drew Technologies no longer make the official Mongoose cable and offer the Mongoose-Plus now. Take a look they don't even mention JLR as a OEM compatible brand.

Mongoose-Plus

We have massive threads on SDD and the moderators want it all in one place because it is such a big project. Have you read the big threads?
This one is mandatory. There are many details to consider and try the VM but again many problems with the install and usage.
SDD Install

Old 11-28-2022, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Makes sense to me, NOT to try flashing any modules.
With any generic Jaguar interface cable
Genuine Mongoose cables are rare to find. new or used.
That's the main reason i picked it up.
After calling Drew, to ask about the Jaguar cable.
Being used, to program Honda keys.
Also about this harming the cable. was told no worries
Pin # 12, that was mentioned, is curious.
Ground, instead of 5 volts, seems it would matter somewhere