XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

new guy

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile new guy

like to start off by saying hi to all, and if any one is ever in Branson mo hit me up for free tickets!!
any way first off, I'm so glad to have found this sight. The help has been more than helpful.
my story short and sweet. iv have cancer and MS and I wanted to make sure my little girl had a nice car just in case I wasn't here next yr. so I bought her a 2005 jaguar xjr super charged.
sad to say the guy I got it off was a crook to put it nicely - we took a buss 36 hr to get when we got there the car was nothing that he said it was. windshield broke, shocks not working, abs and tc light on head lights and fog lights weren't working and to make it worse 1 and a half hours from him we hit storms of bible proportions only to find out the wipers didn't work. found a fuse had been pulled so replaced it only to find out every time the wipers made a pass the motor died. well been home a week and found the short, wires behind head light were broke off. fixed the wipers, fog lights, shocks, abs and traction control. head light needs a new balance so waiting on that. in mean time working on sunroof have a 2000 ls that's the same. trying to see best way to get to the drivers side balancer. sunroof and a few other small things.
me and my daughter both love the car and found a lot of help on here. but I have searched the forms and read all I could find but cant find what I need.
the car go's into restricted performance at about 35 to 40 miles of driving, some times I can keep driving and it goes off some times not. the pcm gives no codes and cant find any other problems. doesn't seem to be ebrake or any thing else I can find, plugs are good no oil on cops - I'm lost!!! I see there a lot of people here that seem to know a great deal about these cars and any help would be much aprecheated. thanks in advanced.
troy or Moses is what most call me.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:30 PM

and if I posted this in the Wong place I apologize

Old 05-08-2016, 11:05 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Welcome and sorry to hear about the sad state of events surrounding the purchase.

I would get the battery checked for voltage and crank amps at Autozone or similar. These cats are very finicky about their electrical systems and even the smallest of power fluctuations can make the car do spurious things.

You will also need to get a proper OBDII reader if you want to see ALL of the codes this car has. A normal OBDII reader will normally only show engine codes. It maybe worth taking the car to an indy garage or Jaguar Dealer and pay to put it on their SDD, this will definately show all codes (even the hidden ones) and they may point you in the right direction for priority repairs.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 637 Posts

Here is something you could try for zero cost:

"I read with interest the problem of you having the "Restricted Performance" appear on your car. I had the same problem about a year ago where it suddenly came on after about a 1/2 mile when starting from cold, on restarting the car it would come back on again shortly after pulling away. My solution was to stop the car, turn off the ignition and then press the Sport button. As soon as the engine was restarted I hot footed it down the road as fast as it would go, allowing it to rev as high as possible untill it changed up a gear. All I can say is that the "Restricted Performance" indicator has not come on since, so since then I often give it a good thrashing once in a while to ensure the exhaust system is cleared of any soot. "

Best of luck.

Dave

BE CAREFUL!

Old 05-09-2016, 01:31 PM

thanks, I have already done both more times than once..lol still no luck

Old 05-09-2016, 01:40 PM

battery good, no codes. I might want to add as maybe I didn't let it be know but iv been a mechanic almost 40 yrs used to do a lot with the British bikes and have had several Lincoln ls's along with mg, triumph ,Vega, Mazda etc. I even have 2 complete sets of whit worth tools.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:43 PM

I'm thinking its in my eb or may be a miss every so often, I have noticed one but just thinking out loud

Old 05-09-2016, 01:44 PM

did hook up to scanner this morning, no codes but the restricted performance went off

Old 05-09-2016, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Hi Troy
As a mechanic of long standing, you shouldn't have any problems getting your car fixed. The only thing you maybe need to purchase is a scanner that can read all of the Jaguar codes; maybe you have this already ?

With the Jaguar system, any time you get a fault message, a code is generated and stored. If the cause of the fault disappears on its own, the fault message disappears, but the code remains in store for a period defined by the importance Jaguar place on that fault symptom. Some codes get deleted fairly quickly, others after several successful journeys. A few remain in memory until deleted by input from a technician. So it seems you may have a fault symptom that is not particularly serious. Of course, restricted performance is a damned nuisance as it takes you so much longer to get home !

By the way...

"wires behind head light were broke off"

Do you mean the earths (US=grounds) to the bulkhead behind the headlights were broken off ? If so, this is a very common fault, as the positioning of these earths is really perverse, being as they get all the salt-laden spray of the road onto them !
You might like to check the hood release cable and latches as these also seize up. A new cable is not expensive, and if you have to fit one, make sure you run oil all the way down it. Jaguar never lubed these cables, shame on them.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:17 PM
Talking codes and wires

yes the wires behind head light, and no I'm not so smart, I found them by reading about it here about the wipers. my wipers would kill the engine every time they made a pass. and as for the code reader I have bought one from London am waiting for it. I understand my snap on reader doesn't read all jag codes.
thank you all for your replies and I hope I didn't sound like I was tooting my own horn. just wanted all to know that I do and can understand a few things when explained. and thanks to this sight I'm learning more every time I log on.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:14 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

Repair the grounds behind the headlights. That will fix your engine dying and many other of you elec issues.