XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

New here and first Jaguar (2005 XJ8 super v8)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here and first Jaguar (2005 XJ8 super v8)

Crazy story! My truck broke down right before Thanksgiving. I had planned to visit my daughter. Decided I'd literally buy a car to go see her because there was no way to fix my truck on the day before Thanksgiving. Everything I looked at was horrible condition and asking 5k plus for trash. Found a post for the 2005 Jaguar for $3800. Check engine light on but it drove so nice and had 70000 miles only. It got me to Charleston SC and back for Thanksgiving and now I am screwed. NC requires emissions pass to tag a vehicle. No one will work on it. Even the Charlotte Jaguar referred me to somewhere else. I live an hour from Charlotte and two hours from the referral. The electric brake is constantly faulting. It pulls a code for 02 bank 2 p4806 or something like. I found a local who said hed look at it and could probably get it to pass inspection but this idiot couldn't even get the brake figured out. I had the car for a day and figured out atleast how to get the brake to release although its annoying but eventually works. Yay! Now I am here.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:00 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

yes, crazy story, but the low price should have screamed...."I'm broken and need help!". Super nice car once you fix your issues. Search online for a foreign car repair shop that knows Jags and fix the issues and you'll have an excellent car.

Oh, the check engine light could be a bad o2 sensor and they are cheap. I replaced mine in 30 minutes and the cost was less then $100. Don't know anything about the parking brake except you can calibrate it. See your owners manual or ask someone on this board. Best of luck!

Old 12-11-2020, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by aceler8
yes, crazy story, but the low price should have screamed...."I'm broken and need help!". Super nice car once you fix your issues. Search online for a foreign car repair shop that knows Jags and fix the issues and you'll have an excellent car.

Oh, the check engine light could be a bad o2 sensor and they are cheap. I replaced mine in 30 minutes and the cost was less then $100. Don't know anything about the parking brake except you can calibrate it. See your owners manual or ask someone on this board. Best of luck!
I'll definitely check into doing it myself. Thanks for the reply. I figured the paint job and blown speakers was the reason for the low price. It is a nice car and the engine is better than anything I could have found for 3800. I got to see my daughter so even at that it was worth the money. Is there a diagnostic tool that would work on Jaguars and would it reset the code just long enough for me to ensure that the code I get is the only code? I had the inspection station say I got one code and then another mechanic say there are 3 pages of codes.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:54 AM
Received 2,678 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Use a smart phone with the Torque app to communicate with the PCM through the OBD port via a Bluetooth adapter to read DTCs. Post DTCs here for help.

See the X350 forum for DTC definitions as many are Jaguar specific.

The emissions monitors need to be complete for the vehicle to pass an emissions test, depending on your local jurisdiction and rules.

Also, what is the battery voltage, with the ignition in the OFF position, when checked with a voltmeter?

Old 12-11-2020, 12:50 PM

The battery was the first thing I changed a week ago. I'll have to check the off voltage reading once I get back. I am a truck driver so I have very little time at home. I will look at the app as well. I appreciate the help this far.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:18 PM
Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

This wouldn't happen to be the Super 8 with the clear coat peeling on the roof & hood listed on Craigslist not far from Hickory NC? Think it was also missing the leaper on the hood or it was broke off. Sounds like the same car I was thinking of taking on as another project. The speakers are probably fine and soldering jumper wires will restore the sound. The parking brake most likely wasn't reset when the battery was disconnected or replaced. If it's the same car it had sat a good while. Depending on where you are located in NC., I know of a very knowledgeable SC Jaguar mechanic who is mobile, but he is not taking on anything until after the new year. On the other hand, if it is the same car and you want to unload it, I just bought my brother a portable paint booth he's waiting to christen.