XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

new member, bad suspension, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member, bad suspension, need advice

Live outside Charleston, SC. Just purchased a pristine 2004 Slate XJR with less than 34,000 miles. Found it online in FL at a dealership and I had a friend test drive. Car checked out. Came up on a truck and the compressor and front right air shock blew within two hours of taking possession. After doing some research, I am switching to Arnott coil shocks for parts plus labor--about $2,000. Car is at a local Jag mechanic right now. I bought the Arnott $1,400 parts and he is charging me $550 in labor to convert to coil shocks.

FL Dealer has agreed to pick up $750 for repair considering that I had the car for an hour before suspension failed. Car had 30 day powertrain warranty only. Wondering if you think $750 is a fair compromise or should I be asking for more and do I have any legal rights? Again, I live in SC and I bought car in FL sight unseen. Clean carfax, always garaged, brand new tires--didn't expect to lay down $2,000 within a couple of hours of owing.

Opinions?

Attached Thumbnails new member, bad suspension, need advice-0-1.jpg  
Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by XJRinSC
Live outside Charleston, SC. Just purchased a pristine 2004 Slate XJR with less than 34,000 miles. Found it online in FL at a dealership and I had a friend test drive. Car checked out. Came up on a truck and the compressor and front right air shock blew within two hours of taking possession. After doing some research, I am switching to Arnott coil shocks for parts plus labor--about $2,000. Car is at a local Jag mechanic right now. I bought the Arnott $1,400 parts and he is charging me $550 in labor to convert to coil shocks.

FL Dealer has agreed to pick up $750 for repair considering that I had the car for an hour before suspension failed. Car had 30 day powertrain warranty only. Wondering if you think $750 is a fair compromise or should I be asking for more and do I have any legal rights? Again, I live in SC and I bought car in FL sight unseen. Clean carfax, always garaged, brand new tires--didn't expect to lay down $2,000 within a couple of hours of owing.

Opinions?
There no way you would ever get me to give up on the air suspension on my car especially not for a spring over shock system, you lose so much.

Anyway had it been my car, I would have had rebuilt or exchanged the air compressor first. Had that not sorted out your problem I would then have shelled out the approximate $800 for the 2 front replacement Arnott air shocks for your car. Problem solved for about the same money but you keep the original quality ride and handling.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:35 PM

Congratulations on your new baby, it a shame she is showing her moods within the first two hours but is sounds like a find, great color and low miles.

So I would be interested to know what you think of the ride and handling? And, if you notice any system glitches or problems with her afterwards. As I am not sure what other systems rely on the air suspension.

I think you may have gone with the right decision for the coilovers. I am considering going the same way with my XJR. The reason I want to change is if for driver feed back, and handling. My last car was a 1998 XJR. Jaguar didn't use the air suspension on the R model and I have to say it felt a lot more involved to drive. You just don't get the same feel of mechanical attachment with the air suspension. Hench my interest in the Arnott coilover kit.

Thank you.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Original reason given for the all-air suspension was that the potential load in the car was a much higher percentage of the car weight (made of aluminium), than one made of steel. However as most people don't load up their car too often, steel coil springs can work OK, but you lose the CATS. OK if you're not an adventurous driver.

However what Jaguar said is not totally true, because the successor model XJ (X351), only has air springs on the rear, the fronts are steel coils. Also when the X350 came out in 2003, the expectation was that only the more expensive versions would have air and the cheaper models would have steel coils like the S-type as the suspension is virtually the same apart from the air /shock units. As it turned out the air suspension was fitted to all versions.

Of course one can also buy Arnott air springs too, and claimed to be just as good, if not better than the Bilstein originals.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
...steel coil springs can work OK, but you lose the CATS.
Can you tell me what you mean by "CATS"?

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by darkman
Can you tell me what you mean by "CATS"?

Thanks!
CATS = Computer Active Technology Suspension

Basically it's Jag's active suspension. The shocks have electronically variable damping. The air pressure in the springs can also be adjusted, but that is not a rapid change like the shock response, more for overall conditions (lowering the nose at high speeds).

The following users liked this post:
darkman (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

XJRinSC,
Can I ask what the dealership name in Florida is?
Just asking because I had the same issue...bought my XJR in Florida, and a few hours later was towed with a bad shock. Took a long time to make it home to WI

Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats on your new car and I feel horrible for your problem. I would do as others say and keep the air suspension. Several things to note:

1) your friend drove the car and it was great
2) you had to sign a Buyers Order stating the warranty terms and other then that youre liable for any problems so the dealer has no liability
3) you did not do a PPI other then your friend with the test drive.
4) the car was in others custody before you received it (the transporters)

While I feel for you having problems especially after just getting the car, I think the dealer is going above and beyond by giving you $750 for the repair, take that and run!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:33 AM

DRB007--I bought from an Infiniti dealership in Sarasota. That's where the Jag was traded in. Nice people. 99.9% sure that they couldn't know that air shock and compressor were about to go. And BMW745ion--I picked up the XJR from the mechanic last night. Got the coil shocks from Arnott. The mechanic is a Jaguar fanatic and has been servicing for over 30 years. He said if money is an issue and you want to guard against future air shock failure, get the coil shocks. BTW, I'm not planning on driving this car 130 MPH. However on some back roads last night I got car up to 100 MPH and it felt great, drove great. At much slower speeds I went over some bumps and small potholes on a dirt road and car felt very comfortable and ride was not jarring at all. For under $2,000 I have four coil shocks from Arnott installed and have complete peace of mind. Glad I followed his recommendation. He said no doubt the next three air shocks would go before 50,000 miles. Car currently has 34,000 miles and is pristine. Damn, the acceleration is effortless and has a beautiful hum as you glide past 90 MPH on way to 100!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:29 AM

DRB007--I bought from an Infiniti dealership in Sarasota. That's where the Jag was traded in. Nice people. 99.9% sure that they couldn't know that air shock and compressor were about to go. And BMW745ion--I picked up the XJR from the mechanic last night. Got the coil shocks from Arnott. The mechanic is a Jaguar fanatic and has been servicing for over 30 years. He said if money is an issue and you want to guard against future air shock failure, get the coil shocks. BTW, I'm not planning on driving this car 130 MPH. However on some back roads last night I got car up to 100 MPH and it felt great, drove great. At much slower speeds I went over some bumps and small potholes on a dirt road and car felt very comfortable and ride was not jarring at all. For under $2,000 I have four coil shocks from Arnott installed and have complete peace of mind. Glad I followed his recommendation. He said no doubt the next three air shocks would go before 50,000 miles. Car currently has 34,000 miles and is pristine. Damn, the acceleration is effortless and has a beautiful hum as you glide past 90 MPH on way to 100!
Indeed and keeps on going and going just as effortlessly, amazing car.

Thanks for the feed back on the ride. did you notice any of the other systems in the car suffering from the loss of CATS, I have read the head lights don't self level anymore and was wondering if anything else is affected.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

glad you got the smile back on your face I was loaned a Slate 05 XJR for a bit of time and enjoyed it very much, I recently picked up an 07 XJ and have quite enjoyed it to say the least!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:51 AM

Boudicca--I only drove the car for 30 minutes before CATS failure so now that I have coil shocks it is hard to compare the two. Haven't noticed anything funny with headlights. As a fairly unimportant side note. My XJR has the rear dvd's in front headrests and control panel between seats. Doesn't seem to read dvd's that I've tried to play. Wonder if format of DVD in 2004 is different than today? Anyone?

Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

[QUOTE=XJRinSC;755879]Live outside Charleston, SC. Just purchased a pristine 2004 Slate XJR with less than 34,000 miles. Found it online in FL at a dealership and I had a friend test drive. Car checked out. Came up on a truck and the compressor and front right air shock blew within two hours of taking possession. After doing some research, I am switching to Arnott coil shocks for parts plus labor--about $2,000. Car is at a local Jag mechanic right now. I bought the Arnott $1,400 parts and he is charging me $550 in labor to convert to coil shocks.

my opinion is since the leveling system is tied into the headlight, you may get a fault code after install.I know this will work on the 2006 but I am not sure about the 2004-2005...Just a thought...I would stick with the arnott air ride because although can be troubling at times, it is what makes the Jaguar's ride.At the end of the day it will be up to you...

Old 06-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Boudicca--I only drove the car for 30 minutes before CATS failure so now that I have coil shocks it is hard to compare the two. Haven't noticed anything funny with headlights. As a fairly unimportant side note. My XJR has the rear dvd's in front headrests and control panel between seats. Doesn't seem to read dvd's that I've tried to play. Wonder if format of DVD in 2004 is different than today? Anyone?
it should play just fine, but wont play blue ray for sure.....if the dvd player was faulty your entire radio would be muted and give a code.Try another dvd...