XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

New sat nav GPS disc

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Still need to be stopped to enter addresses. Additionally, now that I've had a chance to drive the car with the new DVD installed, I have a couple of other comments. One, the new black background with white letters looks nice in daylight, but clashes with the green lighting that everything else still uses at night. Kinda wish I could re-load the original screen. Two, as I mentioned in a previous post, "user settings" now includes a daytime running light option, but on my car I tried it and the lights (xenon's) never went on, even after re-starting the car. All in all, I'm thinking if you're dying to upgrade your Nav., get one of the file downloads floating around on this site and save yourself $200.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jake1
Still need to be stopped to enter addresses. Additionally, now that I've had a chance to drive the car with the new DVD installed, I have a couple of other comments. One, the new black background with white letters looks nice in daylight, but clashes with the green lighting that everything else still uses at night. Kinda wish I could re-load the original screen. Two, as I mentioned in a previous post, "user settings" now includes a daytime running light option, but on my car I tried it and the lights (xenon's) never went on, even after re-starting the car. All in all, I'm thinking if you're dying to upgrade your Nav., get one of the file downloads floating around on this site and save yourself $200.
Thanks for the update. Daytime running lights only come on when the car is in gear, so you might need a second person to confirm if they are coming on, there is also no indicator light letting you know they are on. In the manual it says it is a feature that the dealer needs to turn on. I didn't think mine worked until the wife noticed they did.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't realize that. Will try the car-in-gear thing for the the daytime running lights. thx.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:40 PM

I thought I had read here on the forum that the 2008 disk that was available to download would allow you to enter an address while moving. Guess I misunderstood.

After my wife pointed out the DRL were working, I was able to check them myself by turning on the ignition (not starting the car) putting the car in gear with the emergency brake on and then getting out and checking them myself.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Have been able to enter address/postcode/POI etc on the move here in UK since around 2005 (and Western Europe)

Old 03-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It has been pointed out to me that offering to sell a copy of copyrighted material is illegal. In truth, I did know this, and I agree. I will not do it. Even the sale of the original disc is not appropriate if I keep any copy.

Odd as it may sound, I am someone who vehemently disagrees with illegal copies of music or movies, so it is very difficult for me to explain this laps in ethics. I supposes it was that fact that I find the absolutely horrendous price that Jaguar wants for this update so egregious that it seemed almost fair to help out others. But we all know that rationalization doesn't make it right. If they wanted to sell it for $5,000, that is their right as the owner, and as customers we have no choice but to bend over and let them rape us or do without the items we need.

I apologize to anyone whom I may have offended with the offer of sale of the Nav disc. On the other hand, I WILL sell my original factory 2007 Nav disc for $20 (and not keep any copy) if someone wants that.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 PM

Goose,

If your 2007 Nav disk is still available I would like to buy it.

Thanks,

Old 04-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 45Wheelgun
I thought I had read here on the forum that the 2008 disk that was available to download would allow you to enter an address while moving. Guess I misunderstood.

After my wife pointed out the DRL were working, I was able to check them myself by turning on the ignition (not starting the car) putting the car in gear with the emergency brake on and then getting out and checking them myself.
Any idea where you saw that available?

Old 08-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the British voice if only because she occasionally says "please!" Less helpful however, is the word "soon" which she uses quite a lot--leaving me to wonder is 'soon' a measurement of distance or of time?

Old 08-13-2015, 09:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

what is the newest version anyone is running in their factory x350?

im running a 2009 north america version currently.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:15 PM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
Default New sat nav GPS disc

Originally Posted by xylorex
what is the newest version anyone is running in their factory x350?

im running a 2009 north america version currently.
2011-2012 is the latest for our cars...

Old 08-14-2015, 09:39 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

I could really do with one of the newer DVD disks (hint, hint!!), I am running the original 2002 version I think and half the roads aren't mentioned and its a real PITA.
Just as well I stick my Iphone6+ in the ashtray area and use that as my nav devise and music player.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:19 AM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

It has been my experience, with a few different GPS units, that once the new wears off, it is rather a bother.
Unless your a frequent traveler where you may get lost in a new city, town, village, what ever, once you find your way to work and back, your set to go and the GPS is just a play thing.
My last GPS unit has been in my glove box for the last year. I may now get it out just to see if it will come on.

Cheers

Old 08-16-2015, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

I have the latest disc for the UK, it was part of the deal when I bought it two years ago, but frankly, in the UK at any rate, it's still not very good; it will take you some very peculiar routes at times.

If I have a serious need for SatNav then I forget the Jag system use my Tomtom satnav;

i) that generally seems more 'intelligent' about the routes it devises ie it usually takes me by the route I would have planned with a map, and

ii) I can mount it on the top of the dashboard (on a weighted 'beanbag' thing) where it's far easier to see than the Jag screen. (And it doesn't seem to suffer any signal reception problems even 'though it's directly beneath a heated windscreen), and

iii) it can pick up local traffic info via a special power lead.

Oh ! And ...

iv) it knows the what the speed limits are and 'shouts' if I break them, and

v) the price included free map updates for life.

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 08-16-2015 at 03:51 PM.