XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

New TRansmisison installed Issues help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts
Default New TRansmisison installed Issues help!

2004 xjr. So I had an issue with my old transmission due to running real low on fluid. I found the leak, fixed it. Refilled....Transmission was definitely shot. That being said I purchased what I was told was a low mile 2004 xjr transmission. Had the converter redone and put transmission in. To make a long story short There appears to be only two gears and the transmission light comes on. I was told by a few in this forum I should have swapped the valve body out to retain mechatronic adaptation but I did not want to risk that due to the condition of my original transmission. SO my concerns are.....Even if it was a 2004xjr transmission will it still need to be flashed? If so is that what this issue sounds like? I forgot the code right off the bat but it was like 600 or 610. Fluid looked great coming out of the new transmission as well. Now if by chance it wasn't an xjr transmission a reflash would definitely be needed....AND LASTLY!

I have the SDD software and mongoose and have it installed but have yet to use it. Can I reflash with this and nay pointers? Keep in mind I know nothing about this setup except I bought it, it loaded properly and recognized my car

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX
2004 xjr. So I had an issue with my old transmission due to running real low on fluid. I found the leak, fixed it. Refilled....Transmission was definitely shot. That being said I purchased what I was told was a low mile 2004 xjr transmission. Had the converter redone and put transmission in. To make a long story short There appears to be only two gears and the transmission light comes on. I was told by a few in this forum I should have swapped the valve body out to retain mechatronic adaptation but I did not want to risk that due to the condition of my original transmission. SO my concerns are.....Even if it was a 2004xjr transmission will it still need to be flashed? If so is that what this issue sounds like? I forgot the code right off the bat but it was like 600 or 610. Fluid looked great coming out of the new transmission as well. Now if by chance it wasn't an xjr transmission a reflash would definitely be needed....AND LASTLY!

I have the SDD software and mongoose and have it installed but have yet to use it. Can I reflash with this and nay pointers? Keep in mind I know nothing about this setup except I bought it, it loaded properly and recognized my car

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
The two gears and transmission light is a big concern.

SDD/Mongoose can reflash your TCM. I would first clear adaptations, then reflash your TCM. You may need to reflash your PCM also.

Then recheck your fluid level at 30 then 40 degrees C.

Fingers crossed... Keep us apprised.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

The mechatronic (TCM ) portion of the transmission is the black piece that is part of the valve body with the electrical connector? I was just thinking that when I was told I should swap out the mechatronic portion of my transmission to keep the adaptations that were correct for my car I originally thought it was the entire valve body thus my concern...Perhaps I can just swap out that portion? And I'm just totally lost with this.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:45 PM

The mechatronic (TCM ) portion of the transmission is the black piece that is part of the valve body with the electrical connector? I was just thinking that when I was told I should swap out the mechatronic portion of my transmission to keep the adaptations that were correct for my car I originally thought it was the entire valve body thus my concern...Perhaps I can just swap out that portion? And I'm just totally lost with this.
No worries.

Let's work through this together...

Yes the TCM is part of the valve body. The TCM programming parameters & unit may be different if the VIN range is different. Check out my previous post. Fellow forum member cambo explains this in great detail.

You would need to swap out the TCM and transfer it if you didn't have the capability to reflash the TCM but fortunately you have the equipment to do so.

Plus, even if you swapped out your old TCM the adaptions would need to be cleared anyway as it would retain your odd shift patterns from your old trans that is shot.

So, what I would do is:

First.... If you swapped out the sealing sleeve for new - measure the distance with the TCM harness fully attached/locked to the trans housing with a mm ruler.

Your gap should be between 2.0mm - 3.0mm max. If the distance is larger than 3.0mm the sealing sleeve is not fully seated into the TCM and can cause intermittent/full failure of TCM to communicate on the CAN network.

If you find the measurement out of spec, You will need to drain fluid, drop pan, release locking tab and properly fit the sealing sleeve. (It's a PITA to replace with trans in place, but doable) Despite belief you can lock the tab w/o the sealing sleeve being fully seated. (I did... But luckily realized it after measuring before reinstalling the pan)

If that checks out good, then...

With SDD, clear trans adaptions and drive it, see if that cures the shifting issue. If not..

Clear adaptations again, then reflash your TCM. Then re-check fluid level to ensure your good.

If that doesn't do the trick then you might need to drop the pan and swap out not only the TCM but I'd also swap out the valve body too from the old trans.

There might be an out side possibility the replacement trans may be mechanically shot, or the TCM/valve body or solenoid from the replacement trans but let's try all the above first.

Last edited by abonano; 05-01-2016 at 04:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-24-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 03:52 PM

Also, you can just swap out the black TCM portion from the valve body assembly...

The following 2 users liked this post by abonano:
Don B (08-24-2016), XxSlowpokexX (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Ok this helps me. Thanks! The electrical connector sleeve was swapped out and that seems good. I had properly warmed up the transmission to temp and made sure it was filled. Once I figure this all out and actually go through all the gears Ill run my SDD. Its installed my mongoose is recognized but I haven't gone past the screen where you enter vin or it reads cars vin.

I think being I have the software I'm going to give it a try. Its a heck of a lot easier than dropping the pan pulling the valvebody changing the metatronic unit and then...

So of course I have one last question. Is there anything I should be aware of when navigating the SDD. Where to find the processes to clear adaptations and reflash for example. Hate to be a pain but Ive read a few horror stories about this going wrong.

I do realize keep power to battery...Make sure laptop has continuous power as well. Any idea how long the process should take as well?

Many thanks really!

Old 05-01-2016, 10:57 PM

Ok this helps me. Thanks! The electrical connector sleeve was swapped out and that seems good. I had properly warmed up the transmission to temp and made sure it was filled. Once I figure this all out and actually go through all the gears Ill run my SDD. Its installed my mongoose is recognized but I haven't gone past the screen where you enter vin or it reads cars vin.

I think being I have the software I'm going to give it a try. Its a heck of a lot easier than dropping the pan pulling the valvebody changing the metatronic unit and then...

So of course I have one last question. Is there anything I should be aware of when navigating the SDD. Where to find the processes to clear adaptations and reflash for example. Hate to be a pain but Ive read a few horror stories about this going wrong.

I do realize keep power to battery...Make sure laptop has continuous power as well. Any idea how long the process should take as well?

Many thanks really!
Just to rule out TCM communications failure check that measurement from the harness connector to the trans case.

I believe once SDD reads your VIN you can go to Service Campaigns or Service Functions tab. (I'm not very familiar with SDD) in Service Campaigns the clear adaptations and reflash TCM will more than likely be top recommendations.

When I reflashed my TCM via WDS it took about 30 mins. (Leave drivers window down - as the vehicle locks itself when reflashing)

Yes, continuous power to both car battery and laptop. Disable all power saving functions on laptop. (Screen saver, power save, etc) choose "never" for when "plugged in"...

The worst thing would be for the laptop to go sleep while re flashing...

Last edited by abonano; 05-01-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Don B (08-24-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Wish I had good news here. My SDD decided that it needs to update and closed off all functions until I do.....WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL........ .My SDD doesn't update....Anyone in NYC area.......ugggggg!

Old 05-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Received 226 Likes on 145 Posts

What version of SDD are you using? You may be able to run without updating but you may have to reload SDD on your laptop. Also what windows version are you running on your laptop?

abonano (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 08:51 PM

Wish I had good news here. My SDD decided that it needs to update and closed off all functions until I do.....WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL........ .My SDD doesn't update....Anyone in NYC area.......ugggggg!
I hope you had your internet connectivity off...

I'm in Keansburg, NJ and I'm using SDD V144.

I also have IDS V118.5 available.

I use a genuine VCM for vehicle communications.

PM me for details if interested.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

The SDD I got was from British diagnostics. It runs on a virtual environment of windows xp however you cant use the internet because its blocked. I believe its the V130 version. Ive heard it can be glitchy however Ive never heard of this. My laptop itself runs windows 7. I contacted them to see if they will support it...the VCM also is one of the Chinese made ones however it seems to work

Old 05-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Received 226 Likes on 145 Posts

My SDD decided that it needs to update and closed off all functions until I do

The SDD I got was from British diagnostics. It runs on a virtual environment of windows xp however you cant use the internet because its blocked.
Suggest you change the computer date, say June 1 2012, when you are in the virtual xp environment and see if that prevents SDD form thinking its needs to update.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:30 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

I had an unfortunate experience with just such an update when I tried to flash the tcm and ecu and bricked the car due to cheap Chinese adapters that were not up to the task of serial line programming. Had to get an original Mongoose to flash successfully. Exactly the same happened to another member who I was able to help locally by flashing with my Mongoose.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

If you have purchased v130 and the calibration files (two CDs) from an independent supplier in UK not selling the Mongoose itself (so in principle SDD not corrupted by the Chinese crap), if you have a chinese Mongoose that works, a date blocked at August 2012 in your laptop, these are already good starting points.
You should ignore any request for SDD update and better run it without internet connection.
XP Pro with SP2 is the best OS for SDD, though it should in principle also work under W7 and/or a virtual XP.
Did your laptop read the VIN? (if not, it's not a good sign to start with)
If the SDD installation is corrupted (e.g. if you cannot read the VIN altough you are sure your Mongoose is good), you better (completely) erase SDD and restart installation from scratch following the instructions provided with your CDs.
After several unsuccessful attempts, I went the hard way of making a fresh install of the OS (XP Pro SP2) on a dedicated laptop using a recovery disc containing all the drivers, then SDD. Now works like a charm.
Good luck

XxSlowpokexX (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Originally Posted by dsetter
I had an unfortunate experience with just such an update when I tried to flash the tcm and ecu and bricked the car due to cheap Chinese adapters that were not up to the task of serial line programming. Had to get an original Mongoose to flash successfully. Exactly the same happened to another member who I was able to help locally by flashing with my Mongoose.
I have an SDD from British Diagnostics which came with a Mongoose connector from them. I have only used it to look at codes.

Would there be any point in me doing a flash update of the ECU or anything else for that matter on my 2005 XJR?

Old 05-04-2016, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jackra_1
I have an SDD from British Diagnostics which came with a Mongoose connector from them. I have only used it to look at codes.

Would there be any point in me doing a flash update of the ECU or anything else for that matter on my 2005 XJR?
If your SDD and calibration files were successfully installed and your Mongoose is able to read the VIN and codes, even being a clone, it should be able to undertake a reflash

Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paydase
If your SDD and calibration files were successfully installed and your Mongoose is able to read the VIN and codes, even being a clone, it should be able to undertake a reflash
Ok however would there be any point in doing a reflash?

Old 05-04-2016, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Ok however would there be any point in doing a reflash?
Can't tell you, it depends on how comfortable you feel in doing it.
I've never done a reflash, yet.
In principle the device allows it but I don't know what is the step by step process and what it means in saying yes or implementing the various steps.
Before doing it, have a look here, the manual helps understanding how it works:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...manual-121045/
And report back your experience if you so do

jackra_1 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you Paydase.

I do not feel that comfortable doing a reflash especially since
nothing seems wrong right now. I was simply wondering if a later than current flash would improve something and I do not know when or if the car was reflashed at some point.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paydase
If you have purchased v130 and the calibration files (two CDs) from an independent supplier in UK not selling the Mongoose itself (so in principle SDD not corrupted by the Chinese crap), if you have a chinese Mongoose that works, a date blocked at August 2012 in your laptop, these are already good starting points.
It read Vin and after it collected data it said that it needs to update and all stuff is locked. It works on a virtual machine running XP and there is no internet access...Maybe I can backdate the laptop...Never thought of that

Quick Reply: New TRansmisison installed Issues help!