XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

New water issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 04:29 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default New water issue

I have searched for a solution to a “new” issue with my 04 xj8. I made the mistake of leaving six 1 gallon plastic jugs of filtered water in the back seat (on the floor). I had the water for use in flushing my cooling system following my recent replacement of the radiator, water pump, recovery tank and all the hoses (except the valley). Because I am lazy I failed to put the extra water away when I was done and kept it with me in case I had a problem” This created a new problem.

1 gallon leaked over 3/4 of its contents onto the rear passenger side floor. I was clearing that mess when my son informed me that there was water on the front passenger side as well. I initially thought the volume of leaked water was sufficient to soak both sides of the front seat so I wasn’t very concerned. However, when I went to dry it today I discovered the entire carpet was not wet. It is mainly wet toward the front near the firewall where your heel sets. The upper portion of the firewall carpet is not wet ( just a little damp from the water wicking upward). However the trim piece beneath the glove compartment is wet and actually the carpet padding/sound deadener beneath the glove compartment is kind of separating due to getting wet. We have been getting a lot more rain lately but I do not see where it is getting in.

I have checked the cabin filter and that area is dry. The inside of the glove compartment is also dry. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:12 PM
Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Rancheroguy
I have checked the cabin filter and that area is dry. The inside of the glove compartment is also dry. Any ideas? Thanks.
If you have a sunroof have you checked the drain tubes or the A/C drain tubes under the car?

Old 03-29-2024, 07:42 PM

Thank you for the response. I do have a sunroof and I had opened it to see if I could find any signs of a problem or any water ingress. The area around the perimeter of the mechanism is dry and all of the area I can see appears to be dry and actually dusty. I seldom use the sunroof. The gasket around the assembly appears to be making a tight seal. If the surround seal is good, will the sunroof leak when the glass is closed?

Since it is raining right not I went out a looked under the dash again and the trim beneath the glove compartment is definitely getting wet. So wet that it is almost dripping. However since my interior is black and my eyesight is going bad I cannot see any source. I can rule out the AC drain as the engine is not even running and the floor is getting wet. I examined the lower windshield area and while I did not see anything obvious, perhaps there is a leak somewhere near the bottom of the glass itself that I will need to remove the cowl cover to locate. As it is now, I will probably need to find a replacement for the trim itself as it is delaminating from the moisture. If your knee touches the trim you get wet.

The location that is getting wet prior to the carpet getting wet is what confuses me. If I poured water into the glove compartment this is what I would expect. Luckily the inside of the compartment is dry (so far).

Old 03-29-2024, 10:09 PM
Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

+1 what @FreeWifi said.
@Rancheroguy This is just one way where whater MAY be coming in! It is not a fact!
Open your sunroof, look at front corners of the opening:

Look in direction of blue arrow

Red arrow points to sunroof drain hole. There are two more on the back, I am not sure you can see them without taking liner down.
Two things here:
1. this area, where drain holes are, is not SEALED from weather, regardless if sunroof open or closed. it just exposure with to weather is less with sunroof closed.
2. What you don't see is that on other side of these draine openings form a nipple to which drain line connected, a rubber tube. If and when that tube gets plugged with a debris and dust whater weight pulls it off the nipple. Next thing you know whater gets inside A-pillar and comes out under carpeting in footwell.
This scenario described on multiple occasions.
DO NOT try to check it with compressed air: you may breack inside connection if it is good!

Old 03-29-2024, 11:03 PM

Thank you for the response and the photos. I checked that area (before today's rain) and the area appeared to be dry. There was dust around everything and it had rained only 2 days prior. I will look more closely when the rain clears. Would a leak in that drain end up under the dash? When I say under the dash? Is there a way for the water to flow from the A pillar onto the trim beneath the glove compartment? It doesn't feel as though it is wet between the body work and the trim. There are holes in the trim piece fitted there that are actually dripping water onto the carpet. I thought the drain tubes ran down the inside of the windshield "A" pillar and exited onto the ground. I have not replaced the shields since I was working under the car so I will try checking the drain when the drive drys out. Also when the weather clears I will remove the under-dash trim and see if it can be salvaged, but right now I have doubts. It is so wet it is coming apart.

I did find a post that referenced leaking body seams but even then I do not see a easy path for the water to end up pooling in the area between the glove compartment and the under dash trim before ending up on the carpet. Unfortunately I recently had cataract surgery that did not really help my vision problems. Looking at the black interior while trying to find traces of a water "path" is proving to be difficult. Perhaps I will try some coolant "leak detector" to see if a florescent trail would be easier to find. At least the weather here in California is fast approaching the summer dry spell. Thank you again for the suggestions.