XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

No Engine Check Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Engine Check Light

Hello, I recently had a problem with my 04 XJ8 that required some work by my local independent shop. After they repaired the problem they told me that my Engine Check Light was not working. They charged me $240 to remove the cluster so that they could replace the bulb, but discovered that it was "not a serviceable item". They told me that I would have to get a new module from Jaguar and then have them program it.

Well, my owner's manual does not show an Engine Check Light. My question is - Is the Engine Check simply a message that comes up on my screen? The red and amber lights do come on at startup.

I did see a reference in the manual to an Engine Malfunction light, but mine does not ever come on. I wonder if this what my mechanic was referring to.

Anyway, he tells me that the Engine Check Light must be fixed before the car can be SMOG checked here in California. So, I am worried about that, but wonder if they really understood the Jaguar message system. It passed it's SMOG test ok last year.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

There is a symbol which illuminates in yellow when the ignition is on but without the engine running called "Engine Malfunction". It should go out when the engine is started, and if it illuminates whilst the engine is running it indicates a malfunction, and the car should be reported to a Jaguar dealer. There are other symbols to indicate other problems too. These are all shown and described in section 4-6 of the Driver Handbook.

All the symbols should illuminate for about 3 seconds on ignition switch-on as a check the lamp is working, (airbag warning is 6 seconds).

Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly! My "Engine Malfunction" light does not come on, ever. Replacing the bulb is not possible it seems.

So, if I understand it, the "Engine Malfunction" is the same as "Engine Check". If so, I need to have it functioning for SMOG testing purposes.

If, however, the Engine Check is a fault that comes up on my screen then I am ok for SMOG testing. Nobody that I have talked to seems to have an answer for me.

There is currently an instrument cluster for an 04 XJ8 on Ebay that I am very tempted to buy and switch them out. Apparently it can be done without reprogramming. Any thoughts on this approach?