XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

NO Power to NAV/Entertainment or Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO Power to NAV/Entertainment or Stereo

To whomever can help.

I recently bought a 2008 Jaguar VDP with Alpine/NAV/Entertainment system. It appears the vehicle may have had fresh water in the floor boards. There is a musty smell in car and the stero/NAV and entertainment systems do not power up. Is there some electronic brain under the seats that may have been shorted out. What else could be causing such a universal Power outage. Everything else works. I did notice that the AC does not respond to the temperature setting as though thethermostat is faulty. ANY IDEAS

Old 02-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you saying the nav screen is blank? How are you accessing climate control settings with a blank nav screen? If the screen is blank I would check for power and ground at the nav module in the trunk. A fault with the nav module will take the whole system down. I think the price of a new module has come down to less than $4000 now.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

man there are SO many issues to modules and the cabin harness by getting water under the seats and floor boards. If you really have water or did I would pull the seats and carpet, inspect connectors and modules for corrosion etc...

Old 02-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Default NO Power to Stereo/NAV/Rear Entertainment

Those were my thoughts as well. I am going to check for power at the Module and work my way back. I do not have the vehicle yet. I just bought in on ebay and was told of the problems. Seller even mentioned he could not adjust HVAC. Your comment below would explain that. Once get the car delivered is there any way to eliminate the GPS module as the probelm without buying a new one and replace. I only paid $24k for the vehicle so I can put some money into it if I need to and still be ahead. Would a car diagnostics be able to detect any problems with the GPS module????

Your support is greatly appreciated. I am a bit ouit of my league when it comes to electrical

Originally Posted by Real_Tech
Are you saying the nav screen is blank? How are you accessing climate control settings with a blank nav screen? If the screen is blank I would check for power and ground at the nav module in the trunk. A fault with the nav module will take the whole system down. I think the price of a new module has come down to less than $4000 now.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by kspeaks
To whomever can help.

I recently bought a 2008 Jaguar VDP with Alpine/NAV/Entertainment system. It appears the vehicle may have had fresh water in the floor boards. There is a musty smell in car and the stero/NAV and entertainment systems do not power up. Is there some electronic brain under the seats that may have been shorted out. What else could be causing such a universal Power outage. Everything else works. I did notice that the AC does not respond to the temperature setting as though thethermostat is faulty. ANY IDEAS
Those were my thoughts as well. I am going to check for power at the Module and work my way back. I do not have the vehicle yet. I just bought in on ebay and was told of the problems. Seller even mentioned he could not adjust HVAC. Your comment below would explain that. Once get the car delivered is there any way to eliminate the GPS module as the probelm without buying a new one and replace. I only paid $24k for the vehicle so I can put some money into it if I need to and still be ahead. Would a car diagnostics be able to detect any problems with the GPS module????

Your support is greatly appreciated. I am a bit ouit of my league when it comes to electrical

Old 02-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Suely an '08 car is under warranty; this should be a dealer job, not a DIY?

Old 02-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Received 199 Likes on 140 Posts

Hi Tim, warranty probably doesn't cover water intrusion.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:07 PM

Personally, it sounds like a total or a flood job that some body shop is trying to hack back together for a quick profit or someone that shouldn't have bought an auction car bought one anyways. It probably has "warranty restricted" listed on the DDW or "car reported as totalled". It's still good information for others that can use it, the nav system is pretty much the same since '04. Only an idiot would be messing with his '08 that was still under warranty.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Real_Tech
Personally, it sounds like a total or a flood job that some body shop is trying to hack back together for a quick profit or someone that shouldn't have bought an auction car bought one anyways. It probably has "warranty restricted" listed on the DDW or "car reported as totalled". It's still good information for others that can use it, the nav system is pretty much the same since '04. Only an idiot would be messing with his '08 that was still under warranty.
Real Tech,
You are absolutely correct. Only an idiot would DIY an warranty job on a2008 Jaguar. I am looking to purchase this vehicle off ebay and was advised there was fresh water on the floor boards only. NO complete flood. Pictures show now flood damage, Insurance company dried out carpets ect. Everything works ect the NAV/COM. Knowing there was water on the floor I was not sure what components/connections may have been affected. The car is "salvage" therefore no warranty but if I can repalce the NAV module as a fix the deal would be worth it. That is why I asked if the system diagnostics would uncover these types of faults. Are there relays/fuses to protect the major components from eclectrical shorting. Any insight would be great.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,492 Posts

You got such a good deal on it, is there some reason why you don't take it to a Jag dealer for a diagnostic fee? Probably save you a lot of time and time is money...

Old 02-07-2009, 06:17 PM

The problem with the diagnostics on the nav system is that it controls so many things. If the nav module is bad or power is lost to it it takes down everything controlled with the touch screen. If you have checked for power and ground at the nav module and both are present it may be best to have the car scanned at the dealer with the IDS and see if it can communicate with the nav module. At the same time this will verify communication to all of the modules. Unfortunately nearly all of the wiring to the nav unit, radio etc. is proprietary alpine/denso and none of it is called out in the electrical guides so there is nothing else to check. Now, if you have communication with the nav module you can use the codes that are present to continue the diagnosis but again these codes will only be read by the IDS, I don't know of any aftermarket scanner capable of reading codes for the nav. I've certainly seen water ingress to the nav unit as well as the amplifiers on these cars. there is a service bulletin for the amp taking on water and it is mounted right above the nav module. I really think the dealer is the next step. Guessing at a $4500 nav module is risky, especially on a known flooded car.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

i wud love to see a garage fix that kinda problem lol
i have had a few with the rear fuse boxes have water damage causing the telematics to shut down ..

Old 02-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Default NO Power to Stereo/NAV/Rear Entertainment

I am told this car only had water to the floor level and never reached the seat bottoms. (I am told !!!) What did you need to do to fix the telematics. The car runs well and everything else works. I believe the ECU for the engine id under the front seat and it does not apper to be affected. I will know a lot more once I get a shop diagnosis. Just wanted to see what issue I may have. I notoriously don't trust shops.

Originally Posted by jag_genius
i wud love to see a garage fix that kinda problem lol
i have had a few with the rear fuse boxes have water damage causing the telematics to shut down ..

Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 PM

The only modules under the seats are the seat modules. The water ingress to the trunk normally comes from above at the trunk seal or body seams in the trunk area. Unfortunately I think you will have to use a dealer if you want to continue the nav diagnosis as I've never seen or heard of an independent shop that had the ability to scan the nav module.