XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Not Happy With Adaptive Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Not Happy With Adaptive Cruise Control

Is there any way to turn off or disable Adaptive Cruise Control?

I know how to put the gap setting to a minimum but it is still annoying and in my opinion could be dangerous.

Today on the interstate I was cruising at 75mph in a middle lane with gap set to minimum. A car in the right lane safely crossed my lane on its way to the far left lane. His maneuver was not close at all and wouldn't normally even trigger a thought except my car over reacted and braked hard. Had someone been closely following me I'm not sure I wouldn't have been hit or at least caused the car behind me to take evasive action.

Any help would be appreciated. This is an option I could do without!
2X

Old 01-06-2014, 06:31 PM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2ndxk8
Is there any way to turn off or disable Adaptive Cruise Control?

I know how to put the gap setting to a minimum but it is still annoying and in my opinion could be dangerous.

Today on the interstate I was cruising at 75mph in a middle lane with gap set to minimum. A car in the right lane safely crossed my lane on its way to the far left lane. His maneuver was not close at all and wouldn't normally even trigger a thought except my car over reacted and braked hard. Had someone been closely following me I'm not sure I wouldn't have been hit or at least caused the car behind me to take evasive action.

Any help would be appreciated. This is an option I could do without!
2X
The adaptive cruise control is by no means a perfect system. In my experience, it is best used in conjunction with driver intervention. When a car is merging closer than the gap the system creates, I would disable the cruise control and then re-enable the system when the other driver had completely merged. This would make for a smooth transition.

On longer drives where there is less movement in the traffic, the system is excellent for keeping a dynamic pace behind the vehicle in front of you. Once you get used to the system, I think you'll find an appreciation for the novelty of it all. I wish all my cars had it!

Edit: To answer your initial question, unfortunately there is no way to disable the system normally.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't think there is any way to disable it, short of not using the cruise at all.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,491 Likes on 909 Posts

Someone in this post reckons you can do it if you have access to the Jaguar diagnostic gear so you may be able to:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...screwed-94999/

Last edited by u102768; 01-07-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

Here's what I do: When cruise is on, the throttle pedal goes to the full-up position and doesn't physically move, unlike the brake pedal. Since I always have my foot resting on the gas pedal, even during cruise, I can just press it down very slightly to go into "cruise override" when I see a situation developing that would cause the car to brake, such as someone changing lanes in front of me. If something happens that I wasn't expecting it proably startles me enough that I would go for the brake anyway. Cruise isn't a substitute for situational awareness.

The following users liked this post:
The_Ikon (01-08-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Was the car that cut across you going slower than you ?

I ask because in my experience the cruise control doesn't slow my car down if the car that's within the gap is going faster me, ie the gap is widening.

Are you sure it didn't pick up on another, much slower, vehicle in an adjacent lane ?

Edit: thinking about it ... if the car that moved across in front of you moved over to overtake a much slower vehicle the adaptive might well have picked up on that vehicle. Did the road have any curve to the left ? The handbook warns ('Detection Beam Issues' p.143) about the adaptive possibly picking up on vehicles in adjacent lanes when a road is curved.

(I know because mine picked up on a bicycle that I tried to pass when I had it set at about 40mph on a country road when I was driving home from the dealer !)

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 01-07-2014 at 05:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Partick the Cat:
plums (01-11-2014), The_Ikon (01-08-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 07:44 PM

The car crossing in front of me seemed to be either my speed or only slightly faster. The proximity was pretty close but not at all dangerous.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:49 AM
Received 122 Likes on 52 Posts

I find the adaptive cruise way more useful than without. Without it I used to constantly make adjustment to my speed because of the traffic in the bay area, but with the adaptive cruise I can make it all the way home without hitting the brake or gas pedal. I set it at 70 and let the car do the work. I think it does a pretty good job being a defensive driver. Even slowing down quickly below 30 when incidents happen and then promptly speed back up after it clears up.

As said before though, you can just slightly press the gas pedal to override the cruise control when there is a moment that you feel no need to slow down.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:19 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndxk8
The car crossing in front of me seemed to be either my speed or only slightly faster. The proximity was pretty close but not at all dangerous.
But people generally drive much much closer than they should ever drive.

plums (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dsetter
But people generally drive much much closer than they should ever drive.
Couldn't agree more, especially around here it seems. I can't even maintain a 1.5 car gap without some idiot forcing their way in front of me into my lane! Now I can't imagine all those people have depth perception issues, can they?

RCSnyder (01-13-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Muddybear
I find the adaptive cruise way more useful than without. Without it I used to constantly make adjustment to my speed because of the traffic in the bay area, but with the adaptive cruise I can make it all the way home without hitting the brake or gas pedal. I set it at 70 and let the car do the work. I think it does a pretty good job being a defensive driver. Even slowing down quickly below 30 when incidents happen and then promptly speed back up after it clears up.

As said before though, you can just slightly press the gas pedal to override the cruise control when there is a moment that you feel no need to slow down.
I agree it does its job accurately but it is not particularly smooth in its corrections. In my XK8 When I see the need for adjustments I can, with a foot on the accellerator, just touch the cancel switch on the wheel, when back to normal just reset the same, no one in the car can feel a thing.
The adaptive is a lot more abrupt in its corrections and with the power and sound in the XJR the acceleration rate is a little aggressive for normal driving.
I find myself using the adaptive the same way but occasionally get a surprise. It's really not a big deal but I wish I had an option on when to use it.
2X

Old 01-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OK

SO can it be disconnected?

Old 01-11-2014, 04:01 PM

It appears not unless some modifications are done short cutting computer monitoring. Not interested in that route.
2X

Old 01-11-2014, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

cruise control shouldn't be allowed at all.

especially when operated by left lane bandits totally oblivious to the line of cars waiting behind .... all because they are too lazy to override while passing.

.... hmmm .... if adaptive is here to stay maybe its time to start throwing foil chaff out the window from the right lane.