XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

OEM Wheel Construction vs Aftermarket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 09:01 PM
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts
Default OEM Wheel Construction vs Aftermarket Replacement

All-
Recently purchased 2005 Super V8 - Tires were somewhat worn (5/32) and of different makes, with front passenger being 2/32. Car had some vibration on highway which I thought due to tires alone. So bought new, balanced of course, aligned, and installer informed me that all rims were bent in some fashion and one was cracked and then welded (professionally well) which the seller told me about. Installer said highway vibration would now be a little worse due to new set up with bent rims - and it is. To some extent this voids the primary use of the car for me which is long highway trips in an ultra smooth car.

Just for background Tires I purchased were ATTURO AZ850 from Tire Simple - great price of $84ea., shipped. Got great reviews by consumers and for the first 300 miles I'm very pleased with the product.

After some study I could remedy by
1. high quality repair, we have such a shop here in Columbus, OH (about $130 per tire - doing all 5)
2. Buy factory new OEM's at $299 ea.
3. Buy refurbished OEM at between $199 or $279 ea (depending on style and extent of repairs needed)
4. Buy Aftermarket wheels from between $159 (1 piece gravity or low pressure cast) to $200 and up (flow formed LP pressure process).

Various sites with these were Tire Rack, Finish Line (found link on this forum), and Carid.

My Question is - Of what construction are the OEM wheels on my Super V8 - forged, flow formed, LP cast etc. I'd like to know to compare the cost of the LP flow formed (Advanti Rosato model) at $200 vs OEM refurb. vs cost of local repair.

Thanks for any thoughts on the issue!!!

Old 06-02-2018, 05:33 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadMaster2
All-
Recently purchased 2005 Super V8 - Tires were somewhat worn (5/32) and of different makes, with front passenger being 2/32. Car had some vibration on highway which I thought due to tires alone. So bought new, balanced of course, aligned, and installer informed me that all rims were bent in some fashion and one was cracked and then welded (professionally well) which the seller told me about. Installer said highway vibration would now be a little worse due to new set up with bent rims - and it is. To some extent this voids the primary use of the car for me which is long highway trips in an ultra smooth car.

Just for background Tires I purchased were ATTURO AZ850 from Tire Simple - great price of $84ea., shipped. Got great reviews by consumers and for the first 300 miles I'm very pleased with the product.

After some study I could remedy by
1. high quality repair, we have such a shop here in Columbus, OH (about $130 per tire - doing all 5)
2. Buy factory new OEM's at $299 ea.
3. Buy refurbished OEM at between $199 or $279 ea (depending on style and extent of repairs needed)
4. Buy Aftermarket wheels from between $159 (1 piece gravity or low pressure cast) to $200 and up (flow formed LP pressure process).

Various sites with these were Tire Rack, Finish Line (found link on this forum), and Carid.

My Question is - Of what construction are the OEM wheels on my Super V8 - forged, flow formed, LP cast etc. I'd like to know to compare the cost of the LP flow formed (Advanti Rosato model) at $200 vs OEM refurb. vs cost of local repair.

Thanks for any thoughts on the issue!!!
You didn't mention which of the many types of wheels available were originally installed, but, BBS has supplied wheels for Jaguar for decades, including the two-piece Sepangs. You might consider contacting BBS.

The following users liked this post:
RoadMaster2 (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 06:39 AM

Thanks Box -
I'm new to the forum and trying to participate as a member rather than guest - so I'm just learning to navigate things - much more here than I could imagine and reading through how to take advantage of all the features of the site is a considerable task.
And I have not yet posted pics of my vehicle - but the original wheels are still on and are the silver finish tapered 5-point star, if that helps.
From my online research, if they are BBS, then they are a quality wheel no matter the construction type.
I guess I'll check too in the post by Don B. about parts suppliers for Jaguar.
Thanks again for your reply.

P.S. - Here's a Will Rodgers quote I like
Good judgement comes from experience - which comes from bad judgement.
Have a great day.

Last edited by RoadMaster2; 06-02-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:17 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadMaster2
Thanks Box -
I'm new to the forum and trying to participate as a member rather than guest - so I'm just learning to navigate things - much more here than I could imagine and reading through how to take advantage of all the features of the site is a considerable task.
And I have not yet posted pics of my vehicle - but the original wheels are still on and are the silver finish tapered 5-point star, if that helps.
From my online research, if they are BBS, then they are a quality wheel no matter the construction type.
I guess I'll check too in the post by Don B. about parts suppliers for Jaguar.
Thanks again for your reply.

P.S. - Here's a Will Rodgers quote I like
Good judgement comes from experience - which comes from bad judgement.
Have a great day.
Welcome to the forums, and enjoy your ownership... Since you never actually mentioned tire diameter, if they are 19", more than likely, they are the "Custom" wheel. A year or so ago, I had my "Dynamic" OE wheels powder coated, the road rash from the original owner removed, and the spare which had been bent by the prior owner done at a reputable wheel house here in my home town, at $75.00 per wheel. A true wheel leads to a wonderfully smooth ride.

Attached Thumbnails OEM Wheel Construction vs Aftermarket Replacement-img_0129.jpg  

Last edited by Box; 06-02-2018 at 08:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RoadMaster2 (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 09:55 AM

Thanks David

I do plan to get my wheels reconditioned, especially after seeing your pics. I'll try to upload images of mine, and then an after repair as well.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:38 PM
Default Total solution for tire / wheel size questions

In my original post I reviewed problems I was having with my wheels - and my effort to find and learn about good / appropriate replacement wheels for my 2005 super v8. My bright idea was to search the forums marketplace after visiting a few sites selling wheels. There I found many options of used sets of wheels and tires, and wondered what might fit my car if I chose to go with other than the original size.

A search of the web yielded a Popular Mechanics article on the subject, perfect for a newbie like me that educated on the parameters of what happens when one changes wheel size - And then a gold mine - a site with a complete calculator of all the parameters to consider when changing wheel / tire size, complete with diagrams of the wheels/suspension/tires/fender clearance etc.. The diagrams even change as you input the various parameters of wheel packages you are considering.

The site is - Wheel-Size.com

In my search through the Forum Marketplace, I found that ads for wheels / tires were peppered with THE QUESTION - "will these fit my Jaguar XYZ"???

Using this site as a buyer would alleviate the seller answering the question "will these wheels fit my car" - you can now answer that question for your self by using this awesome site. On the seller side, should you wish to do the homework for your potential buyer, or even if not - just direct them to this site, it eliminates any guessing on the sellers part. Try it, you'll see.

As this was my first time using the Jaguar forums marketplace I also found that the listings about tires/wheels are somewhat incomplete in that buyers seem always to have to ask for basic fitment information that is not given. And further, rather than a seller saying "wheels/tires have about 20k on them - how about listing the actual tread depth. Especially important when any pictures given clearly show differences in tread depth between front / back for example, even though the statement "only 20k" implies that all tires have worn evenly.

Anyway a vist to the Wheel-Size.com site will quickly answer any questions one has about this important but common problem.