XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Oh Boy Suspension Fault: C2780. She seems to be sitting a little high?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 09:27 AM
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Oh Boy Suspension Fault: C2780. She seems to be sitting a little high?

Hello Everyone,

Well my new baby has a main issue I want to tackle right away.. The Suspension fault message is showing on the cluster and the scanner revealed a C2780. I did a quick search and it seems that the suspension needs to be recalibrated? It seems to be sitting a bit high.

Do I need to use the JLR SDD tool to recalibrate the Suspension? Unfortunately I don't have this tool. I own an Autel and I have access to a professional Snap On Scanner. Can either of this scanners handle the recalibration (if that is what is needed)?

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2023, 04:57 PM

Hello Everyone,
UPDATE
My brother tried setting the suspension with the Autel. It let him choose between Transportation Mode or Customer Mode. It was set to Transportation Mode, so my brother changed it to Customer. He didn't notice any difference or change in suspension height. He did not drive the XJ.

In addition the the C2780, codes B1671 and U2521 codes from the air suspension module.aka DSC (Dynamic Stability Control Module).

Where/what would you recommend we check/do next?

Thanks

Old 03-15-2023, 06:32 PM
Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

B1671 means Battery voltage out of range. Charge/change battery
U2521 CAN DSCM missing DSCM CAN circuit short to B+, open circuit, short circuit to ground. Do step 1 first.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:36 PM
Received 250 Likes on 190 Posts

These cars are extremely sensitive to battery voltage being even a tiny bit low. I had stuff like cannot set parkbrake, cruise not available, and a sometime wonky temperature gauge, none of which has happened after getting a new battery.

That doesn't mean a new battery fixes all you're seeing, but even marginally low voltage can trigger very weird things.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:26 PM

Thanks Everyone. I should change the battery just a precaution since these cars are sensitive to battery voltage.

UPDATE.. my brother took at the tape measure and measured from the center of the center caps to the apex of the wheel openings.
Front: left 350 mm right 320 mm (factory setting is 386mm)
Read: left 400 mm right 378 mm (factory setting is 373 mm)

What steps would you do to breakdown the issues? My thinking
1. Spray ALL air fittings with soapy water to check for leaks.
2. check ride height sensors(how do you check)? but wouldn't that of throw a specific code?
3. valve block by air tank defective?
4. check of the CAN circuit on the DSCM (hence the U2521 error code; thanks BigKoshka) ?
I'm also just curios what causes a C2780 to trigger?

Sorry if random with my thoughts, just thinking out loud.. I don't mind doing diagnosis work to narrow the problem.. I'm not a big "fire the parts cannon guy" but hey sometimes we have no choice lol.

thanks!

Old 03-15-2023, 08:24 PM
Received 205 Likes on 144 Posts

I'll preface this by saying I'm no expert on the air suspension, but have done some reading here & there.

Is C2780 the only code showing? If so that just means its in transport mode. You tried switching it back to customer and nothing? Do you know what the previous owner had serviced on the suspension system (sensors, replacement struts, etc)? Did he try anything to resolve it that you know of? Did this happen right after replacement of a component?

I would start with a good battery charge and then a hard reset on the battery and see what happens. With no other codes and the car sitting high I would doubt there's a leak, so possibly ASM module issue. If it were a level sensor I'd assume you'd get a code for that.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:08 AM

Hello! and thank for the feedback.. Well after setting the car back to customer mode my brother didn't drive it, so not sure if the heights will reset. I just bought the car a few days ago so I don't know if the history, but it seems to me the original owner kept up on the maintenance and the college kid who bought it and kept it for a 6 months did not...

I may change the battery for good insurance and clear the codes with the Autel. Then see what happens... The passenger front did seem low so maybe something going on there... I think the car was sitting high because it was in transport mode, but now it was changed.

Lets see what the weekend brings. I keep everyone updated. Maybe my little issue helps someone else.

I really wish I had a JLR SDD. I need to find a way to get a cheap / hacked version.

Thanks.. happy riding

Old 03-18-2023, 09:42 PM

RESOLVED!
Setting the suspension to Customer Mode worked! After I went for a ride the suspension fault message disappeared and the car is sitting perfectly. Thanks everyone for the help on this one.

Off to fix the next two problems lol

The following users liked this post:
87LC2 (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 09:49 PM
Received 205 Likes on 144 Posts

Awesome, glad it was that easy! What else needs doing?

We have twins! I still maintain that the silver over charcoal is the best color combo - only thing better would be BRG over charcoal, but those all have the horrible tan interior.

Old 03-19-2023, 09:42 AM

OMG! lol my twin brother. Mine has been in a few more brawls in its life lol so lots more dings and scratches, but hey we're still brothers. Congrats on your baby. looks amazing!

Next two items are 1) TPMS: all the sensors seem bad. I'm looking to use the JLR SDD and just shut off the TPMS system. Problem is I don't have the JLR SRR tool. so researching on how to get a cheap cracked version. 2) I also have a P0128. The code is right on because the coolant gauge is acting funky. Seems like the thermostat is stuck wide open. I think I'm going to buy the whole octopus unit(Thermostat housing) but not sure If I'll just change just the thermostat housing portion of the octopus or the entire unit... I'm researching now on how to do the job.

Today a quick interior cleaning and leather conditioning lol

Happy riding