XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

oil temperature use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:22 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default oil temperature use?

My 06 SV8 has an oil pressure switch and an oil temperature sensor and I understand the temp sensor is only on supercharged models and the others have just the oil pressure switch which makes me wonder. Since there is no oil temperature gauge and my i930 does not have a choice to graph or display oil temperature, what does the car do with this information and what adjustments might it make for oil temperature? Is there a "Oil temp too high" message that might come up? Or an oil temperature light? Just curious.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

The Electrical Guide (e.g. on JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource) seems to show it on other models, too.

In OBD you'd expect it to be known as EOT (same as the jag doc) and if it's not in the i930 that's a pity. Probably is in IDS/SDD but I don't have your car so can't be sure.

Typically the workshop manual says what a sensor is used for, though not always everything it's used for, and extra info is sometimes in the other Jag/Denso/etc docs.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
The Electrical Guide (e.g. on JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource) seems to show it on other models, too.
In OBD you'd expect it to be known as EOT (same as the jag doc) and if it's not in the i930 that's a pity. Probably is in IDS/SDD but I don't have your car so can't be sure.
Typically the workshop manual says what a sensor is used for, though not always everything it's used for, and extra info is sometimes in the other Jag/Denso/etc docs.
Thanks for the reply.

I read through the messages in the handbook and there was no oil temp warning, but I did read that the "engine Coolant Low" warning is "Displayed when the engine temperature becomes excessive. Pull off the road when safe to do so and allow the engine to cool". Here I thought there was a sensor that monitored actual coolant level.

I'll check the OBDII listings on the i930 to see if there is a EOT function. I did have an Ultragauge on the Jag but put it in my Mini Cooper S when I bought it; if I try it back in the Jag I'll check for EOT there too.

I was still curious about what the system does with oil temperature if there are no warnings and found this in the X350 shop manual:
"Oil pressure advances and retards the camshaft timing which is controlled by the engine management system via a solenoid valve mounted on top of the oil feed spider assembly. Camshaft timing, dependant on engine speed, load and oil temperature can be optimized over the adjustment range of 30 degrees.."

So it apparently does use oil temperature as a factor in adjusting the valve timing so there must be a temp sensor on any model with variable camshaft timing whether naturally aspirated or supercharged.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Received 8,083 Likes on 4,876 Posts

Jaguar added the oil temp sensor with the introduction of the AJ27 V8 (US MY 1999). All subsequent V8 models have had the Engine Oil Temp Sensor.
I'm sure the engineers like having the Engine Control Module to have as much input as possible. If one temp sensor fails,(coolant) the software might substitute another functioning sensor?(oil temp)

bob

Old 07-18-2019, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

There are plenty of EOT-related codes, too.

Those workshop manual & codes PDFs are mines of information...

Old 07-18-2019, 01:32 PM
Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

FROM JAGUAR SERVICE TRAINING (image supplyed by GGG )
Good question ..Iv an interest in the answer to this question, as i will try to explain......

Been researching this question on and off now for some time and found nothing in relation to the S/C AJ27.
The information that iv come across is only for the N/A AJ27 with vvt.
The EOT code's i believe are......

P0195 eot sensor malfunction
P0196 eot sensor range/performance
P0198 eot sensor high
p0199 eot sensor intermittent

I get the P0196 code now and then (in pending) but some times very rarely it gose into confirmed and triggers the engine management light.
I just clear it and wait till the next time it comes and do the same again,so on and so on....

Any how no other codes except the odd p0420+p0430 for the cats which im monitoring and not at the same time as the p0196.

I got a new eot sensor and when i went to fit it i found the sensor on the car just hanging near the oil filter and not screwed in to the head, looks like PO must have snapped the original eot off so i cant fit another in to the oil filter head, so i just left the sensor as it was.

I dont notice any ill effects on the cars performance at all with the eot sensor just hanging there.

Well this is why im interested in what the ecm dos with the signal from the eot sensor on the S/C AJ27 engine.....

Old 07-18-2019, 08:13 PM

When I disconnected the oil temp sensor I had the code P0198, -engine oil temp sensor high, which went away after I re-connected it and erased the code. If yours is just hanging there I assume it would be reporting ambient temperature to the computer which might affect the camshaft timing somewhat but perhaps not to a great degree.

The following users liked this post:
XKR-DAY (07-22-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 04:31 PM

SOME COPPER PLATES SOLDERED TOGETHER WITH THE SENSOR TIP PROTRUDING SLIGHTLY TO MAKE CONTACT WITH THE OIL FILTER.

NOT THE BEST BUT BETTER THAN JUST HANGING THERE, AND THE SENSOR WIRES WILL REACH OK.
Been looking at what the EOT sensor signal may be used for on other car forums (with out vvt)

* Readings are noted by the ECU to control the fuel injection system accordingly..
* Used on cold and hot starts like a choke in the old carburettor systems..
* The ECM uses the EOT input signal to protect the engine during the cold engine warm up phase..
* in the event of an oil temp sensor fault the coolant temp sensor reading may be used as the substituted value to drive the tachometer (RPM) warm up phase..
All from none jaguar forums so may or may not relate to our AJ 27 none vvt engine.

Until we can get a confirmed explanation as to the exact use of the EOT sensor signal on our engines,
im afraid its just educated guess work as to what the ECU dose with it.

I have made a quick fix for my hanging EOT sensor that hopefully will get rid of my intermittent p0196 code,
and will hopefully be better than just reading the ambient temp in the engine bay.

Good look in finding the answer to your question......

Old 07-20-2019, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by XKR-DAY

I got a new eot sensor and when i went to fit it i found the sensor on the car just hanging near the oil filter and not screwed in to the head, looks like PO must have snapped the original eot off so i cant fit another in to the oil filter head, so i just left the sensor as it was.
Well this is why im interested in what the ecm dos with the signal from the eot sensor on the S/C AJ27 engine.....
That page seems to agree with the 350 manual: "Oil pressure advances and retards the camshaft timing which is controlled by the engine management system via a solenoid valve mounted on top of the oil feed spider assembly. Camshaft timing, dependant on engine speed, load and oil temperature can be optimized over the adjustment range of 30 degrees.."

So it is apparently using oil temperature as part of the variable Valve timing algorithm. Oil pressure must be fairly constant since the oil pressure sender is just a switch that opens at very low pressure.

I admire your ingenuity in adapting the temp sensor to your filter. Was it not possible to drill out or "easy out" the old sensor? The EOT sensor on my SV8 is much easier to reach than the oil pressure switch. Its the white body one in this photo; is yours different?

Old 07-21-2019, 01:39 AM

THE ARROW IS POINTING AT THE EOT SENSOR,UNDER THAT IS THE OIL PRESSURE SWITCH.

YES THE SENSOR SET UP ON MY ENGINE IS DIFFERENT TO YOUR ENGINE.

Yes agreed the EOT sensor is defiantly used by the EMC for camshaft timing...

It may be possible to drill/easy out the old sensor but access could be difficult and there may be easier options.

WhiteXKR (TheJagWrangler) dose a jaguar v8 oil pressure adaptor for his real gauge,
The adaptor allow's you to simultaneously fit the original factory oil pressure switch
as well as the engine oil temp sensor with the common 1/8 npt fitting
The adaptor fits in to where the OPS is fitted, Then you refit the OPS and the EOT in to the adaptor.

Only trouble is the EOT sensor changed size from M12 to M18, Mine is M18 so dont know if it will fit the adaptor.
I could go back to the M12 or use aftermarket sensor but i think that will mean changing the wired plug

Old 07-21-2019, 08:56 AM

That's definitely different than my 06 SV8's setup. I emailed the adapter maker (his listing said it fits 2006 and earlier) with my VIN and asked if his adapter fit my car and got a call back from Steve who said he looked up the switch for a 2006 SV8 and it is a different part number than the switch for which he designed his adapter so he could not say for sure if it would fit. My EOT must be the larger one (M18?) while the oil Pressure switch must be either M12 or NPT since I was able to use a 1/4" NPT adapter to attach a pressure gauge.

BTW, the new switch cured my oil can light staying on problem.

BTW 2: Is your pressure switch normally closed or normally open without oil pressure? Mine is normally closed.

Last edited by philwarner; 07-21-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:12 PM

HI, Well i believe my oil switch is OPEN with no oil pressure.
+1 for curing your can light problem with the new switch,

Been looking at realgauge adaptor more closely and its for fitting a standard after market 1/8 npt oil pressure sensor so no use for what i need,
But it do's say the OEM oil switch thread is M10 x 1.25 pitch but dont know if this changes with model/vin.

i think i got the M12 wrong for the oil pressure sensor, But my oil temp sensor is the M18 but not yet sure of the pitch ( possibly 1.5 )
Looks like i may go for the oil filter sandwich adaptor if i can fined one with the correct M18 fitting port for my oil temp sensor.

Been out for an 80 mile + drive today with my quick fix fitted to the oil filter, No code yet but it is intermittent so time will tell.

Maybe the placebo effect but the engine seamed more refined and responsive.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:21 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've seen oil filter adapters that give you multiple ports for different applications. Plug the ports not used and install the sensor(s) as required.

The following users liked this post:
XKR-DAY (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:48 PM

Well iv just read your post ...Philwarner...Oil can light stays on.

Wish id read that first as you had already documented the info in that post.
All good reading and very useful information, So thank you as this has helped a grate deal.