XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

oil warning light question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 10:17 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default oil warning light question?

Hi, I took my 2006 Super 8 Portfolio out of storage last week and while driving home the check engine light came on, I thought no big deal, until I heard a little pinging noise when accelerating. I made It home, checked oil dip stick and it was dry with no sign of oil. I had a pin hole leak on one of the oil cooler lines.

My question is: Is there an oil pressure and/or a low oil warning light on this car? Because if there is, they never came on, just the check engine light did!!!

I can’t be leave they built these warnings just into the check engine light. Does anybody think I may have cut my engine life in half or worse by not thinking anything was seriously wrong just because the check engine light was on and no other lights were on, until I heard engine pinging???

Old 11-12-2018, 10:35 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

What codes came up?

Yes, there is an oil warning idiot light on the dash.

Even though your dipstick was dry you were probably down only 2 qts or 2.5 qts. The 4.2V8 has a capacity of 6.9qts so although you were kind of low I think your engine is ok.

Now the pin hole in the oil cooler line is more than likely due to the center bolt of the belly pan knocking into the oil cooler line. After you repair swap out the 3 front belly pan bolts for 1/2 the length. It's a known issue.

The following users liked this post:
Aleather (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:38 AM

The new oil line I ordered from the dealer won’t be here until next Wednesday, and I had to go out of town, but I will take and post the readings/codes when I get back next week.

“Now the pin hole in the oil cooler line is more than likely due to the center bolt of the belly pan knocking into the oil cooler line. After you repair swap out the 3 front belly pan bolts for 1/2 the length. It's a known issue.”

Does this mean, if I get on oil change at one of these oil change places like Jiffy Lube, they could potentially put back a longer bolt and cause the cooler leak again?

Last edited by Aleather; 11-13-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:22 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Does this mean, if I get on oil change at one of these oil change places like Jiffy Lube, they could potentially put back a longer bolt and cause the cooler leak again?
Not if you proactively tell them NOT to do that.

Aleather (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Robman25
Not if you proactively tell them NOT to do that.
I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not, but the day I picked up this car from storage, I had them change the oil and filter and they told me they couldn’t be leave they had to take out 18 bolts to get the belly pan off. Telling them to do something doesn’t mean they will do it; maybe I should change all the bolts holding the belly pan on to shorter bolts.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:31 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Aleather
I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not, but the day I picked up this car from storage, I had them change the oil and filter and they told me they couldn’t be leave they had to take out 18 bolts to get the belly pan off. Telling them to do something doesn’t mean they will do it; maybe I should change all the bolts holding the belly pan on to shorter bolts.
You just need to change the 3 bolts on the front of the belly pan to shorter bolts. Its actually the center front bolt that can wear into the oil cooler pipe.

Aleather (11-13-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by abonano
What codes came up?

Yes, there is an oil warning idiot light on the dash.

Even though your dipstick was dry you were probably down only 2 qts or 2.5 qts. The 4.2V8 has a capacity of 6.9qts so although you were kind of low I think your engine is ok.

Now the pin hole in the oil cooler line is more than likely due to the center bolt of the belly pan knocking into the oil cooler line. After you repair swap out the 3 front belly pan bolts for 1/2 the length. It's a known issue.
Ok, I replaced the oil cooler line, car needed 2 quarts of oil and the check engine light went off. The codes are: P0026, P0028 and U0426 and again, the check engine light is off and the car and engine is like normal and sill stupidly fast. The oil light (oil can) never came on during leak. What do u think?

Last edited by Aleather; 11-23-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

You're in the clear, I reckon. Two quarts is half a gallon and if you didn't drive like a race driver, there will have been enough oil there to protect the engine. Engines have to have a certain level of oil to prevent oil starvation when an owner corners rather too enthusiastically and causes oil surge.This surge can momentarily deprive the oil pump of oil, and potentially cause damage to the plain bearings (big ends and mains) Also the oil returning to the sump is usually aerated, and a large reservoir means this air has time to exit the oil before the pump picks it up again.

So, enjoy more happy Jaguar motoring !!

Aleather (11-23-2018)