XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

One air susp replacement, StrutMaster, Arnott, or S springs/shocks on ebay or fire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One air susp replacement, StrutMaster, Arnott, or S springs/shocks on ebay or fire?

Yes, I too am having my second go at leaky airbags. The fist car I gave away to my employee at 167K, this one has 127K and I am thinking of setting it on fire.

Here's a fun story to illustrate the point. One day I noted my emblem was missing. I thought...well, I bet it is at the car wash. Those menacing thick slapping straps must have pulled it off! Sure enough, it was there, in the rain gutter. Turns out the crappy wiring holding it on rusted through.

1-Any fix for this? I have thought of gluing it on with fastenail or some sort of industrial product. Then I wondered if they made a flat badge. I don't really like the big emblem anyway, and would prefer a Ferrari style badge.

2-Then the front end has been rattling like broken glass for about 30,000 miles. I have not fixed it because the Jag mechanic said it will cost about 2K, and it will not hurt it to drive it like this. Says it is the front rubber suspension parts or some sort of rubbish. I did read something about tie rods and front airbags making noise on this forum. I'd like to repair it, but I am not going to spend 2K, but then again, I don't want the wheels to fly off at 90.

3-The gas gauge stopped working about 30K ago as well, and I have only run out of gas twice! The first time, I was at my mountain home, and coasted down to the gate and maintenance put enough gas in to get me to a station.

Last week I had the luckiest encounter. I was heading on the interstate into town at about 80, and suddenly the car quit! Thinking quickly, I switched lanes on the three lane interstate to the on ramp lane about 1/2 a mile ahead, coasted up a hill about 2 tenths of a mile, and the road just happened to turn downhill at the light. I proceeded to give a tap on the brake, made the turn, no traffic, and coasted about another 2 tents down the hill, crossing four lanes of traffic and stopped dead silent in the correct spot, right next to the pump! For those that must know, I got 23.9 mpg according to the computer, and 521 miles on the full tank. The only think I forgot to do was purchase a lotto ticket!

How do you fix the gauge? The computer works out mileage, but the shop again said at least 600 on the gauge repair. Forget that. I'm using the trip, but stupidly switched over to B for who knows why..as I forgot.

4-Headliner is falling. Sunroof OK, but headliner needs fixing, another 200 plus. I was told by one idiot shop the rear window had to come out. What a tool.

5-The air blower has been making a squeaking sound, you know that high pitched squeal when a bearing goes out over time? Well it quit, right about he time the hot season has come along. If I drive at 90, the air is fine, the compressor works, and enough air comes out to keep me cool. It's when I'm stopped that's the issue. How did they ever do it in the old days? Not only did they wear suites and ties, they wore hats! I suppose they worked like sweat bands, keeping the sweat our of there eyes. I have looked on the forum, and it appears a module goes out that causes some consternation. I think this sounds like a blower motor. Do you agree?

6-Now for the airbag. I was sitting at a stop light late last night, when I heard what sounded like a tight *** passing gas. Kinda that squeaky sound. Of course I instantly felt the car settle on the left corner. Awaking from my stupor, it almost felt as though I was bumped from behind. I have two sharp right handers I always take at the max on the way home, and I though, well, with the left rear down, perhaps it will handle better. Then, I wonder if it will catch fire next, or perhaps I will hit a deer. I did cut a deer in half with a XJR a few years ago. It was at night, no moon out, and after doing so, I simply pulled up to my house and went inside straight to bed. That was rather odd, not even a peek till the next day, and half a deer was there as proof, dead, on the side of the road. It looked rather odd, as I am sure folks wondered where the other half was. Funny how something so bulky can get squeezed into the smallest of places.

So for this, which is the better solution? Fire, replace the bad airbag, Strutmaster, Arnott, or Stype? Oh..please let me know what you think about the other issues.

As I review this, the sqawks are adding up, this is looking more like a rag of a car. What say you.

Last edited by A Dopo; 06-05-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Save 10% on Arnott Air Suspension Products!

www.arnottindustries.com

Last edited by arnottdoug; 12-31-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Hmm, a hell of a lot to ponder over in your post ! Is your shop an independent ? I would have thought they could fix your fuel gauge by using second-hand parts. And what 'emblem' are we talking about, the radiator badge or the ones on the boot lid ?

I would get some more detail on the suspension noises, as there comes a point when wear in joints starts to get dangerous. $2000 sounds a lot of money, almost a full front rebuild ! Suspension is almost all aluminium and costly, but internet prices a lot less, provided you know what to buy, so you need to find out.

Headliner is a very weak item, Jaguar should be ashamed of themselves on this, but we don't get this much in cold and damp England, so you must be in a very hot place at least some of the time. And yes, the rear window may have to come out, but some really good trimmers can fix the thing in-situ

The climate control air blower fan is located behind the glove box, and a module on top of it fails, not normally the motor, but it sounds like yours is in need of a bit of lube, and the module is OK. Only a test of the thing will reveal the problem. Any competent mechanic ought to be able to apply a bit of lube, and put brushes in if they can be obtained. If not you'll have to swap out, but again try for a used one.

As for your air spring, go the Arnott route or get a used one off the internet, or convert to steel springs; OEM units are eye-wateringly expensive. The current XJ saloon, (the avant-garde styled car !!), has steel on the front, only air on the rear unlike us poor benighted X350 owners with air all round. So it seems even Jaguar engineers know they got it wrong in 2003 !

Old 06-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the reply. I ordered an Arnott left rebuild, and fan blower, not for the front end...