XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

One for the record books?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default One for the record books?

Most of us that have years of X350 ownership have experienced, or at the very least are peripherally aware of the horrendous mess that lies inside, just under the trim of our side view "wing" mirrors. I learned early on what happens to Mazak a lot (sometimes known as Zamak, but a better name might be along the lines of "Grey Crumble" or Corroda) when subjected to... uhmm, say: ordinary conditions that EVERY car experiences?

I saw photos of the grayish white (whitish grey?) sandy, powdery grit that is basically the metal self destructing in some sacrificial ceremony that no one gets to attend because it happens out of site, out of mind. Until those of us with power folding mirrors find them jamming, and I dont mean to Bob Marley. Then they get to see the infernal mess that at best, you can clean up, lubricate, and in my experience cover with Fluid Film corrosion inhibitor. What I didnt know was how small a percentage of the frame I was getting without completely removing the mirror.

I had coated and lubed both sides on my 07 Vanden Plas when the passenger mirror only folded part way. No success, even though I tried going back on though the bottom cover and lubricating it several times.

Then last week I bumped the passenger side mirror with my recycling bin as I walked by and, after checking that I didnt scratch it, forgot all about it. Until I found it tilted down, and, when I examined it, found the frame complet

Old 07-17-2018, 05:01 AM
Received 276 Likes on 213 Posts

Thanks for that. I have read of some problems with (initial?) X350 aluminium construction suffering some corrosion problems, especially around riveting with that 3.5 Billion year old Iron/Steel.

It seems that Jaguar is sticking with Aluminium body from X350 through current models. Hopefully they solved any corrosion problems, though I wouldn't know for sure.

As a matter of interest to no-one in particular, my 1974 Series 2, in England in just 5 years ie 1979, (Salt Roads, British Leyland, Margaret Thatcher) had to have the sills replaced coz they rusted through. Hells Bells, Current Model 5 Years.
"And I loved her..."
Errm..I mean my Jag...

AND my E-Type (originally from English salted roads) had rusted sills. Multiple embarrassments for me:
1) I knew about this problem after my XJ6, S-Type, how long does it take to learn?
2) The E-Type dealer caught me with a screwdriver secreted up my sleeve, pecking away at the sills. Let's just say he forgot his sales pitch.
3) How was I to know the sills rusted from the inside-out, thereby still presenting clean metal under the paintwork?
4) I bought it. (didn't really regret it, given it was an E-Type in my price range at the time)
and 5) The Mark10 was NZ-New. Eat your hearts out :-) Oh alright, had to replace the motor but No Rust.

Last edited by ChrisMills; 07-17-2018 at 05:44 AM.