XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

P0171 only, thoughts on what to try next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Will these OBD scanners also show chassis codes?

Old 01-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Received 12,942 Likes on 6,466 Posts

Originally Posted by ayavner
Will these OBD scanners also show chassis codes?
My setup of Torque Pro and an inexpensive ELM327 bluetooth adapter will only read the Powertrain (P) codes, like most generic OBDII scanners. To read C, B and U codes, the options I'm aware of include the iCarsoft i930 Jaguar edition handheld scanner; a laptop running the Jaguar IDS, WDS or SDD software and a Ford VCM or equivalent interface cable such as the Drew Technologies Mongoose; or a high-end third-party diagnostic system such as AutoEnginuity with the Jaguar Expansion.

Of these, the iCarsoft i930 may be the simplest and most affordable option. Search the forum for reviews from the guys who have bought one. There is also a lot of information in the forum about the Jaguar SDD system.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-01-2016 at 11:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ayavner (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 11:35 AM

That makes this sort of thing confusing :

2015 New D900 Universal Car Vehicle Failure Code Reader Scanner Diagnostic Tool | eBay

reading the description, and with the logos, it kinda implies that it does them all. Makes me wonder why in reality it would be any harder for them to go ahead and supply those codes to any reader rather than only make them available to expensive specialty equipment :-(

Old 01-01-2016, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ayavner
...reading the description, and with the logos, it kinda implies that it does them all. Makes me wonder why in reality it would be any harder for them to go ahead and supply those codes to any reader rather than only make them available to expensive specialty equipment :-(

Here's the important statement from that eBay listing:

"Reads and clears all generic, and some manufacturer specific DTCs"

The core Powertrain codes are standardized in the OBDII specifications, which have been enforced by Federal law in the U.S. since 1996. Since 2001, there has also been a European OBD standard, EOBD. Since the standards exist as part of efforts to control vehicle emissions, all of the standard or "generic" codes are emissions-related Powertrain (P) codes and are the same for vehicles from all automakers.

Confusingly, the laws allow for additional Parameter IDs (PIDs) and diagnostic codes that are defined by each automaker, in part under EOBD2, which stands for Enhanced On-Board Diagnostics, Second Generation. Each automaker is free to define these additional Powertrain, Body, Chassis and Undefined (mostly Network) codes in whatever manner it chooses, though they do tend to follow certain patterns. In order to extend the functionality of the On Board Diagnostics system, manufacturers can even incorporate additional electrical contact pins in the data port connector, and standard OBDII scanners do not have corresponding pins in their connectors.

Obviously, it takes a great deal of work by a scanner manufacturer to research all the codes for each automaker, negotiate with each automaker for permission to use its proprietary information (probably requiring the payment of license fees or royalties), program their scanners to read the proprietary codes and design their interface cables with all the necessary contact pins, then constantly work to keep all of this information up-to-date as automakers' standards continually evolve year after year.

That's why the makers of generic OBDII scanners only include the legally-mandated Powertrain codes, and why systems that can read the additional proprietary manufacturers' codes tend to be very expensive.

The above is off the top of my head, so hopefully someone will correct anything I've misstated above. I'm too lazy today to look it up!

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-01-2016 at 04:28 PM.
ayavner (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 12:28 PM

that iCarsoft i930 looks to be just the ticket.

Happy New Year everyone!!

Old 01-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

I'm very happy with my icar soft. Made my $ back after 2 uses, At $80.00 per hour from the dealer. Very easy to use, and works on my wifes Range Rover too. Although it supplies much more data for the Jag.

Don B (01-02-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 10:32 PM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

Don B----
Reading somewhere in the DTC Summaries about a 0171 code, one of the things to look into was the fuel filter.
I had one I purchased earlier, so decided to change it. Up on the lift it goes and ???? where the heck is it, mine was nowhere I could look....

Thanks and Happy 2016..

Old 01-01-2016, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
Don B----
Reading somewhere in the DTC Summaries about a 0171 code, one of the things to look into was the fuel filter.
I had one I purchased earlier, so decided to change it. Up on the lift it goes and ???? where the heck is it, mine was nowhere I could look....
Hi Chuck,

If I recall correctly, on our '04 XJR the fuel filter is in the fuel line that runs along the left underside of the car from the fuel tank under the rear seat toward the engine compartment. I think it is hidden by a long plastic splash shield that must be removed in order to access the filter. I believe your XJ8L will be the same. I remember finding the location and procedure for changing the filter in the Workshop Manual - probably the Powertrain section.

You can download the entire manual in six sections from the 'HOW TO' quick links thread on the home page of this X350 forum.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-02-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi independent Jaguar shop owner and mechanic here. P0171 and p0174 are quite common on the 4.2 and the most common cause for these lean codes are vacuum leaks. The only way to correctly find the vacuum leak is with a diagnostic smoke machine when the engine is cold. There are several spots that these engines will develop vacuum leaks from. You can email me at the address below and I can help you in the right direction and also go over all the spots that these engine will have vacuum leaks.

Edmunds Jaguar & Rolls Royce service
Palm Desert, Ca

edmundce@gmail.com

Old 01-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Default Codes P0171 & P0174

Don B.
I'M still facing the code problem with my 350, but have come to find this out since it has been so long.

I have found that I get the codes only after a start up (first, second or how ever many I make) and a drive for maybe 5 minutes. The code comes on (clear the codes while driving) and if I don't stop and start over on my trip, the codes do not re-appear. Strange----

I would think that if there was really a "Two lean bank 1 or 2" I would get the codes during a drive or at least after coming to a stop at a light, but nothing. The caution just happens if I stop and shut down. When I come back to the car, start up and drive away, in about a three mile run "Pop" the cautions come on.

Note: I keep my reader plugged in since I started to get these codes as I drive, so as I drive, I can clear the cautions if and when they come on. I don't like to ride around with a "Restricted Performance" caution on.... That's just me----

Any ideas?

Last edited by Chuck Schexnayder; 01-06-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:53 PM

Hi Chuck,

It may be that the ECM is programmed to not re-trigger a code that is cleared while the engine is running - I really don't know.

Have you worked through any of the possible causes listed in the DTC Summaries manual to rule any of them out?

By far, I would say the most common cause of P0171 & P0174 together is an intake air leak somewhere between the MAFS and intake manifold gasket. Have you carefully inspected all the air intake pipes, breather hoses, etc.?

Please let us know what you've done so far so we can work with a shorter list of possibilities.

Cheers,

Don

Old 01-06-2016, 10:02 PM

Don--I've started all over again, so will give a heads up as soon as I can...

I appreciate the help-------------

cheers.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Default Codes P0171 & 174

Well Don, I give up.
I thought--since I couldn't find any leaks anywhere, I would check the "O" rings on the two lines coming off the intake after the MAF and they looked fine, so I put some white Lit grease on them and today took it for another ride. Pop, same deal. After about 3 or 4 miles the codes came up again.
I give up for now, and parked the car and will drive the XK8 for awhile. Maybe when I swap out the cars again, I'll do a hard reset and see if that does any good.

Will continue to think about it, but for now I'll just enjoy the convertible.

Cheers

Old 01-10-2016, 12:06 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

How old are your Spark Plugs? I was getting the 0171 and 0174 code continuously, i cleaned the MAF to no avail, replaced the MAF to no avail and couldnt find any vacc leaks. I had the plugs changed and havent had those codes since. my mpg also went back up to 30 on the hwy. Im just assuming the plugs were my problem since i didnt do any other work to the engine.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi independent Jaguar shop owner and mechanic here.

A common cause for multiple misfire codes and or lean codes on this engine is due to vacuum leaks. Only way to find all the leaks is with a smoke machine . Do you have any sort of scantool to monitor live data for the fuel trims? I can go over a few common spots that cause vacuum leaks. The engine oil dipstick has an oring on it. Pull out the dipstick slightly and push it back into the dipstick tube. There must be some resistance when the oring hits the tube indicating a seal fit. If the dipstick goes in and out freely with no resistance felt at the oring there will be a huge vacuum leak here. Its a simple fix just replace the oring. another spot is the orings failing on the plastic crankcase valve that is on top of the passenger size valve cover. It can be hard trying to match up these orings i would recommend just replacing the whole valve. This is an easy repair aswell. The next common spot is where the plastic brake booster pipe enters the throttle elbow underneath the throttle body. There is a plastic sleeve and oring that must be replaced and this is not easily accessible unfortunately. Its not a matter of if these 3 spots will fail its a matter of when. If these havent been fixed already atleast once in this cars lifetime i would highly suggest looking into these 3 spots. The first 2 spots apply to the non supercharged engine aswell. The non supercharged engine will fail at the intake manifold aswell.

monitoring the fuel trims under certain conditions is the only way to determine exactly what is going on here as well and getting the engine smoked. If a smoke test reveals no leaks and fuel trims show fine at idle but show lean under acceleration i would suspect the outlet duct plates leaking under boost. There is always a possibility of a bad MAF aswell but not as common as vacuum leaks.

If you have any questions you can email me Edmundce@gmail.com

Edmund Jr
Edmunds Jaguar & Rolls Royce service
Palm Desert, CA

Last edited by edmundce; 01-10-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For everyone, to close the loop on this thread (since I resolved it yesterday)...
  1. I went out and bought a ScanTool bluetooth OBD2 scanner (
    link link
    ) ... it works great with my windows phone and android phone
  2. Looking at the LTFT it was pretty clear that as i was hitting 14%+ accelerating up to highway speed, that it was indeed running lean, and no indications of bad O2 sensors
  3. I cleaned the MAF, reset the code, and it came back, so no change on that attempt
  4. I tried the leak test using MAF cleaner, sprayed it around some things based on other threads and couldn't detect any noticeable changes in RPMs... so struck out on that attempt
  5. I didn't have a smoker, so I took it in to my local mechanic and he did a smoke test on it and found out that it was a broken vacuum line... He replaced the line, reset the code, and all runs well now (sorry i don't know exactly which line it was, forgot to ask at the time)

Hope that helps someone down the line.

The following 2 users liked this post by KarmaPolice:
Don B (03-17-2016), paydase (12-28-2016)