XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

P0171 and P0174 (Solved)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default P0171 and P0174 (Solved)

Banks 1 and 2 lean. Could be MAF, Fuel Filter. Any other ideas? Oddly it happened on the way home from the Dealer. Oil Change and Rotation.

2004 XJ8 VandenPlas

Last edited by MK 82; 09-13-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Since it happened on the way home from a service, I'd check the air path from filter to throttle-body...they probably "checked" your air filter and mayn't have got everything back together just so.

But you are correct...lots of possibilities. Numerous discussions on it over in the Stype section if you want to sneak in there and do a search. I had 'em on my wife's 3.0 S, and solved by swapping the MAF with my daughter's 3.0L S. No codes either car whilst swapped...but swap 'em back and codes return to the wife's car. Couldn't find any vacuum leaks anywhere...and graphed the fuel trims and other data and all I could come up with was that the "problem" MAF reported greater airflow than the other one....which should lead to the opposite of lean codes...but go figure!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Since it happened on the way home from a service, I'd check the air path from filter to throttle-body...they probably "checked" your air filter and mayn't have got everything back together just so.

!
I am with you. That's the first thing I checked. Nothing apparent. I will dig into it deeper tomorrow. It's my wife's car and as usual they were trying to sell her all kinds of service. Wanted to change the fuel filter and do an injector service, whatever that is.
Thanks for the reply.

Eddie

Old 09-14-2011, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

It could be from PCV hose, my dad's ride did exact things with a massive fuel consumption and replacing the PCV itself solved the problem .We were thinking about 02 sensors as well

Old 09-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Banned

Mystery solved-Case closed. Aholbro1 was right on.

The mechanic left the rubber intake from the maf to the throttle body very loose. That is where the unmetered air was entering. $125/hr Jag mechanic.

Eddie

Last edited by MK 82; 09-14-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Great news that it was an easy (and cheap) fix!

Old 09-15-2011, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Good to see it was that easy

Old 09-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by MK 82
Mystery solved-Case closed. Aholbro1 was right on.

The mechanic left the rubber intake from the maf to the throttle body very loose. That is where the unmetered air was entering. $125/hr Jag mechanic.

Eddie
Unfortunately, sooner or later that kind of thing happens to the best of us. I would however, suggest calmly letting the dealership management know it happened, so they can use it as a teaching moment. [HOPEFULLY]

Cheers,

Old 09-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by mk 82
mystery solved-case closed. Aholbro1 was right on.
since it happened on the way home from a service, i'd check the air path from filter to throttle-body...they probably "checked" your air filter and mayn't have got everything back together just so.

the mechanic left the rubber intake from the maf to the throttle body very loose. That is where the unmetered air was entering. $125/hr jag mechanic.

Eddie
actually we do not mess with that connection or clamp when checking the filter. You only unclip the 2 clips on the box and lift enough to look at the filter. You can even change the filter this way. But that connection does pull loose all the time with no one touching it. And many of those issue where found at dealers from the factory. If the clamp is evewn alittle loose the engine torqueing on acceleration can pull that loose......
And the only way to check that clamp is to remove the engine cover, not that easy and we are human(basically we take the path of least resistance and areant going to do all that to check an airfilter) and fyi not one of us are $125/hour tech. Most masters get about $25/hr+/-

Old 09-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brutal
actually we do not mess with that connection or clamp when checking the filter. You only unclip the 2 clips on the box and lift enough to look at the filter. You can even change the filter this way. But that connection does pull loose all the time with no one touching it. And many of those issue where found at dealers from the factory. If the clamp is evewn alittle loose the engine torqueing on acceleration can pull that loose......
And the only way to check that clamp is to remove the engine cover, not that easy and we are human(basically we take the path of least resistance and areant going to do all that to check an airfilter) and fyi not one of us are $125/hour tech. Most masters get about $25/hr+/-
I have no issue with saving a little time, however the mechanic is responsible in the end. Actually you do "mess with that connection," in a roundabout way. If he is aware that the hose to TB connection may come loose then he should check that as I did. The engine cover takes 15 secs to remove. If you aren't willing to do all that, then don't check the filter. The bottom line is the mechanic did not do his job properly. I was an Airline Captain for 23 years. If I did my job improperly, 250 people could die.

As for the rate, I have no idea what the mechanic gets but the dealership gets $125/hr from my pocket. They charge $120 just to change the oil.

I spoke with the service manager to tell him what happened so he could school the mechanic. Jaguar is an elite brand and it's customers demand a higher level of care.

Eddie

Last edited by MK 82; 09-22-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Unfortunately, sooner or later that kind of thing happens to the best of us. I would however, suggest calmly letting the dealership management know it happened, so they can use it as a teaching moment. [HOPEFULLY]

Cheers,
Did exactly that. People make mistakes. Hopefully only once.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by MK 82
Did exactly that. People make mistakes. Hopefully only once.
Well done. I would expect, in fact prefer that to happen if I were to have made that error.

Cheers,

Old 09-22-2011, 12:32 PM

Yes and the shifter cable bolts may fall out too, and the idler pulley and tensioner pulleys may fail too. The washer hose might break, the hose may split on the radiator, the radiator may crack. The headlight bulbs may burn out. The plastic headlight adjusters may break. The wiper blade may split. The door handle clips inside the door may come loose when opening the door. The fuel pump may fail next start. Any bulb may burn out, check engine light may come on.....i meen really, where does it stop. You cannot check all the "potential" things that might happen. How do you know the tube was in fact not pulled loose as you took off from a light anyway. There is not enough time in a day to check all the issues that we know can be an issue at any given time
and last time I checked no one I know can see in the future either....
And when I was in the Air Force working on F-16's. yes the pilot was ulitmatly responsible for his/her aircraft. That meens in a "round about way" you should have been pointing the finger at the service manager. ultimatly he/she is the one responsible for everything done or not done in the their shop and the lives of 1000's a people who may die on the road as a result of a mistep...But wait as a pilot youre responsible for your aircraft. Doesnt that also meen that as the "pilot" and owner of your car that actually makes "YOU" the responsible person. Did you check your tires, light, fluid levels etc everyday before you get in your car and drive on the roads???? If you have a commercial drivers license, that would be exactly what youre supposed to do each and every day BEFORE you hit the road. This applies to everyone of us...... We as the PILOTS of our vehicles are resposible for its safety and road worthiness. Just as you stated you are as a pilot of a plane.
CHEERS

Old 09-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Banned

You need to get laid more often. Either that or some whole bran cereal.

AMF!

Old 09-23-2011, 05:31 PM

AMF right back at cha chief

Old 09-24-2011, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

I certainly hope that "AMF" is referring to Alpha Mike Foxtrot.

Be easy guys

Old 09-25-2011, 10:23 PM

hmmm. I took it as Adios ****** Focker,I hate when people blame a mechanic for something that happens alot when no one touches it......................much less after an oil change. But then the assumption is we all have crystall ***** an are always responsible for anything that happens to the car right after we touch it.....every dent and scratch and dirt spot in the interior was never there till we touched it....
sorry last week and especially friday were bad days and to the point Im looking to get out of this industry, just for these kinda attitudes and crap...
Maybe I should be a plumber. I dont think people blame them for the faucet leaking just cause they were there to fix the garbage disposal do they???

Old 09-26-2011, 06:03 AM
Received 6,310 Likes on 5,497 Posts

I thought it was Adios my Friend.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (09-26-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

Since I was quoted in this dust-up...let me make it clear I did not intend to bring shame on MK82's tech in any way....same as if I got a CEL after I'd been puttering around on my own car...I'd check the last things I touched if they could be remotely connected to the codes I'm getting. Advised him likewise. For my part...I WISH my wife's P0171/174's woulda been due to a loose hose whether it fell off on its own or was missed by some tech (more likely, "your's truly!") on a service. Either way....I'm a very happy camper when I can tighten a hose clamp and extinguish a light!

So Brutal, and any others.... if my remarks were interpreted to be scornful of MK82's tech, or of any others in general, I am quite sorry for that. It was not my intention at all. I have the greatest respect for you guys. Hang in there, PLEASE! don't want to contemplate the board without you, Brutal!

Anybody can have an "off" day....I note that MK82 "missed" it on his first pass, too, according to his 9/13 post....

Old 09-26-2011, 09:00 AM

Fellas, I think it's time to put this one to bed..............Moderators?

Quick Reply: P0171 and P0174 (Solved)