XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

P050B

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 02:28 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default P050B

Anybody have anything new on the P050B code? Engine idle's good, no stalling, starts good, fuel mileage 20-22 around town.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts
Old 10-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts
Old 10-05-2017, 11:27 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Hello WOOX4,
Yes I have seen both and that was all I could find. I tried the procedure but after about a minute of the RPM's going up and down they went so low the engine stalled. It started right back up and idled strong at 600. After 2 days the code came back. I wonder since my car is out of the TSBs VIN # range has any effect on the cure.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:32 AM
Received 205 Likes on 144 Posts

Barry - Did you ever get this sorted? I know its an old thread, but my car threw the P050B code yesterday and being outside of the VIN range in the TSB it seems I'm in the same boat as you were. If you ended up getting this fixed please post the solution.

My car has has a bit of a wandering idle since I've had it (around 8500 miles now), but always smoothes out and drives fine. Now with the CEL on I guess its time to figure out what's going on with it.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:23 PM
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello 87LC2,

Were you able to figure out the P050B code? This past week I've thrown this code twice, but the car runs perfect otherwise. Maybe a slightly surge when starting. It seems to pull immediately after start up. I read a few posts about a hard reset procedure and the TSB XJ303-13 but my VIN falls outside the range specified. I did notice that before going to inspection my O2 system test did NOT pass and this is supposed to immediate. TheTSB mentioned changing out the O2 sensor and a reprogram. maybe the cause?

Below is the freeze frame. Anyone notice anything off? Thanks for the help!

Old 04-05-2023, 06:22 PM

I cleared the code and it hasn't come back since, about 1000 miles driven. At this point I figure it was just a fluke and since my car is outside of the TSB vin range I'm not going to worry about it unless it comes back for good.

I'll update if it comes back. My car does have a bit of a hunting idle at times but nothing to worry about. Hope it doesnt need an update, don't want to bring it to a dealer. I don't mind having issues, but taking it to a dealer and hoping they do something right is not on my wish list.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:38 PM

That's good news! Nice to see the Big Cat heals itself. I'm hoping for the same self healing powers after resetting my codes. I'm also outside the vin range also.

I'll keep everyone posted and hope it is just a random code and gone.

The following users liked this post:
87LC2 (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 06:44 PM

This car has self-healed quite a few times actually. When I bought it last year it only had 40k miles and mostly sat around, especially for the past few years as the original owner got into his 80s. There were a lot of little issues when I first got it and most just sorted themselves out and the car has been perfect since. People always say these cars like to be driven regularly and I believe it. I've put 12k miles on it in 6 months and its been great.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:47 AM

Code came back yesterday. Started it up after work and light came on after about 3-5 seconds of idling. Cleared it again when I got home. Went out last night and when starting the car a couple hours later the rpm just shot up on their own (to about 3K). Gave it some throttle and they came back to idle. Somethings going on here but not sure where to start.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by 87LC2
Code came back yesterday. Started it up after work and light came on after about 3-5 seconds of idling. Cleared it again when I got home. Went out last night and when starting the car a couple hours later the rpm just shot up on their own (to about 3K). Gave it some throttle and they came back to idle. Somethings going on here but not sure where to start.
reflash ecm

reflash ecm

reflash ecm

reflash ecm

reflash ecm

no help provided until you’re on the latest vbf

Last edited by xalty; 04-18-2023 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by xalty
reflash ecm

reflash ecm

reflash ecm

reflash ecm

reflash ecm

no help provided until you’re on the latest vbf
My car is outside of the VIN range, does that matter? Who can reflash, just a dealer? If that's the case not going to happen, no dealers around me.

Guess the question is what's the end result here if I dont do anything? Code will jsut keep coming back and I clear it, or will something eventually fail?

Old 04-18-2023, 10:58 AM

My code also came back a few times over the past couple of weeks... Every time it pulls on a few seconds after start up, but one time is was accompanied by a P0133 code (Oxygen Sensor Slow Response). This makes sense since my O2 readiness never completes after I clear the code and the TSB XJ303-13 (Oxygen Sensor Calibration) mentions changing out the O2 Sensors.

Since I pulled the P0133 I'm going to change out both upstream O2 sensor w/ Denso 234-9125 units. Hopefully (fingers crossed) this solves the issue. Sensors won't be hear till next Monday so once complete I'll report back...

Please let me know what you find out also. thx!

Old 04-18-2023, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

My car is outside of the VIN range, does that matter? Who can reflash, just a dealer? If that's the case not going to happen, no dealers around me.

Guess the question is what's the end result here if I dont do anything? Code will jsut keep coming back and I clear it, or will something eventually fail?
dealer if they have a mongoose or red brick which is like a couple of them. jlr corporate blacklisted these guys from using the black vci to program pre-2011 ecms.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...-v8-2006my.pdf

Last edited by xalty; 04-18-2023 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-19-2023, 04:34 PM

Hello . I apologize in advance if these questions are silly.

Can I reflash the ecm myself with the JLR software? I purchased the v1.31 and v1.64 from an ebay vender. this week. I'm getting the cable shipped to me.

My O2 sensors don't seem to be commuting with the ECU.. I think.. The O2 Readiness test never passes and when I try to test the upstream sensors the mV PIDs on my Autel are missing. I bought the new Denso upstream O2 sensors, but maybe my car just needs a reflash first?

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2023, 04:44 PM

Obviously I have no clue, but if so it would be a reason to get it so hopefully someone chimes in. I did hook up a better scanner today with more JLR capability and got a P050B84 which says the cold start ignition timing is retarded rather than advanced but that doesnt help me much. Also noticed there were faults in just about every module in the car. I think my next course of action is a hard reset and go from there. If it comes back with no O2 codes or anything like that I'll have to figure a way to get it reflashed. Other than the cold start the car runs perfect, steady idle once in closed loop and no driveability issues.

Old 04-19-2023, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Obviously I have no clue, but if so it would be a reason to get it so hopefully someone chimes in. I did hook up a better scanner today with more JLR capability and got a P050B84 which says the cold start ignition timing is retarded rather than advanced but that doesnt help me much. Also noticed there were faults in just about every module in the car.
not the hard reset 🤦‍♂️ you’re better than this

Old 04-19-2023, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by xalty
not the hard reset 🤦‍♂️ you’re better than this
Haha, you're right. Still going to do it. Finally hooked up a decent scanner and 14/28 modules had old fault codes. Most don't mean anything but figured it cant hurt to start fresh. Will it help? Probably not, but nothing to lose. I have read on the UK Jag forum that people experience better driveability after a reset and I'm curious. I've always felt the trans to be clunky at lower speeds (apparently this is common), but some reported the car smoothing out a bit when re-learning from scratch.

I'm sure the code will come back and I'll have to deal with it, just need to find somewhere to get it done. There is a Jag dealer halfway between home/work off the Turnpike, might stop in and ask if they're familiar with the TSB and see what they can do. Last thing I want is for them to start trying to replace parts (I've heard this dealer likes to do that), so as long as they're willing to just do a reflash I'll go that route.

Would love to find a good independent shop around here for issues like this that I cant fix myself, but I don't know of any. If anyone happens to know of one in the PA/NJ area I'd appreciate it.

Old 04-20-2023, 08:53 AM

Wow we both have the exact same issue. I also have the P050B84 version of the code. I've used Jaguar Land Rover Parsippany (220 Route 46, Parrisppany, NJ 07054, 973-575-8055) for parts and was going to reach out to them to see if they could reflash the ECUs.

BUT

First I'm going to start my research to see if it is possible to reflash with JLR SDD v1.31 or 1.64. I know the experts on here are probably tired of answering these questions, so I started using the SEARCH lol and been reading a bunch on it. (VID Blocks, TSB on the WSD to reprogram, etc). If I can't figure it out then I'll reach out to the dealer.

Old 04-20-2023, 09:19 AM

Yea, pretty funny we both have the exact same issue on cars outside of the TSB range and from my searching this seems to be a rare occurrence. I was also thinking - I wonder if you have @Clamdigger (Barry's) old car who started this thread. Looks to be the same year and spec as yours and he lives in Jersey. Wouldnt be socked if that was the case.

I'm a decent mechanic, but the computer stuff is not my strong suit. I can use a scanner and all, but my laptop tuning is limited to my 87 Grand National, and that is super simple stuff being OBD1 and running a wideband. If you do get it figured out maybe I could pick your brain a bit and figure out what I need and how to get it working.

I'm still driving the car and just leaving the light on for now. Oddly enough, since the light has been on I've had no issues with cold idle. I drive the car 500 miles a week and doubt it will hurt anything, but I'll try and stop by the dealer within the next couple weeks.

Quick Reply: P050B