XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Paranoia Pays Off...a little...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 03:18 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Paranoia Pays Off...a little...

So, the warranty on my Car runs out in a few days so i decided to put the car in to Jaguar for a check on all my little niggle paranoid thoughts I generally have with this car.....I think more so on the thought of having to pay for something... Knowing that everything seems expensive.... here were my issues:

Ignition Key - Previously reported this and was told its normal, so this time I emphasis the point, when turning off the ignition from running mode it seems to stick, needs a little force to get it round which is more of an annoyance than anything else..... Result - Ignition barrel getting replaced.

Last week I lent into the car to start it and noticed the car rising, checked it over the next few days and seemed ok, no drop or rise on start up... Result - Compressor faulty, getting replaced.

Now here is the two items that I am really unsure about and they have not replicated it...will go in and go for test rive with mechanic...but anyone got any thoughts on it:

In slow start/stop conditions or going over a speed hump I find it difficult to control the speed.....If I drive as I woud normally drive any other car including my X308 I fin the car wants to jump done to 1st and sprint off....Only way to avoid it is by pulling off very slowly and it tends to be ok, but annoying that I always need to concentrate on this and not just drive as normal...... what you think

Brakes: Brake pads and rotors have been replaced 6 months ago, been in a twice since and been regreased as they say.... but I find when the car is cold the brakes creek at low speed.... forward or reverse...like biting but not quite so car moves along slowly and brakes creek. Happened before and after pads and rotors replaced.... anyone else notice this....its not a problem, just that it does not happen in my cheap run around and does in my "Jaguar" per say.

Fingers crossed all is well in the near future......

Good Luck and Thanks.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:18 AM
Received 13,086 Likes on 6,519 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty1511
Last week I lent into the car to start it and noticed the car rising, checked it over the next few days and seemed ok, no drop or rise on start up... Result - Compressor faulty, getting replaced.
Hi Scotty,

Thanks for your very informative post! On behalf of those of us who are attempting to understand the air suspension system, I would love to know more about how the dealer diagnosed the compressor as faulty. According to the manual, it is not uncommon for the vehicle to rise when you unlock the doors. If the car has been sitting for awhile and the Air Suspension Control Module has opened the exhaust valve one or more times to help keep the vehicle level, when you unlock the doors it will allow pressurized air stored in the air reservoir to raise the vehicle if possible. If you can get any more detail from your dealer about why they felt the compressor needed to be replaced I would appreciate the knowledge.

In slow start/stop conditions or going over a speed hump I find it difficult to control the speed.....If I drive as I woud normally drive any other car including my X308 I fin the car wants to jump done to 1st and sprint off....Only way to avoid it is by pulling off very slowly and it tends to be ok, but annoying that I always need to concentrate on this and not just drive as normal...... what you think
My first thought is that the torque converter is not releasing properly, and the first thing to suspect is that the transmission fluid should be changed and its proper level confirmed. Unfortunately, the dealer may be unwilling to change the fluid if Jaguar considers the fluid to be good for the "Lifetime" of the vehicle. The second possibility is that your torque converter has a problem and needs to be replaced. Search this forum for posts from owners who had to have new torque converters. This is definitely something you would want to have corrected under warranty.

Brakes: Brake pads and rotors have been replaced 6 months ago, been in a twice since and been regreased as they say.... but I find when the car is cold the brakes creek at low speed.... forward or reverse...like biting but not quite so car moves along slowly and brakes creek. Happened before and after pads and rotors replaced.... anyone else notice this....its not a problem, just that it does not happen in my cheap run around and does in my "Jaguar" per say.
On our '04, we occasionally have some noises when braking, and to my ears they sound more like suspension creaks than brake pad/caliper/rotor noises. Apparently the X350s are known for failing suspension bushes, and my assumption is that some or all of our bushings are failing. Your car is only 5 years old, so this may not be the issue for you, but it might at least be worth asking the dealer to inspect all your suspension bushings before your warranty expires.

Please keep us informed!

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 07-21-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 754 Likes on 632 Posts

" Result - Compressor faulty, getting replaced."

That does not make any sense at all in my opinion.

How many times do they 'regrease the brakes' before they realise that is not the problem?

They sound incompetent to me.

Don's explanation much more likely.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-21-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 04:57 AM

Don,

Thanks for the feedback, have only been given info over the phone so far, will get full details when I get into the dealer, but this is the basic so far:

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Scotty,

Thanks for your very informative post! On behalf of those of us who are attempting to understand the air suspension system, I would love to know more about how the dealer diagnosed the compressor as faulty. According to the manual, it is not uncommon for the vehicle to rise when you unlock the doors. If the car has been sitting for awhile and the Air Suspension Control Module has opened the exhaust valve one or more times to help keep the vehicle level, when you unlock the doors it will allow pressurized air stored in the air reservoir to raise the vehicle if possible. If you can get any more detail from your dealer about why they felt the compressor needed to be replaced I would appreciate the knowledge.
They stated the the system was not maintaining full pressure and leaking at the compressor. (When I say dropped I mean more than usual...use to the car venting and dropping a little but always checking if it drops more than an inch) similar to 6 months ago when they replaced a front suspension shock under warranty about 6 months ago also as it was leaking from the top and the suspension dropped considerably when left for a few days.

My first thought is that the torque converter is not releasing properly, and the first thing to suspect is that the transmission fluid should be changed and its proper level confirmed. Unfortunately, the dealer may be unwilling to change the fluid if Jaguar considers the fluid to be good for the "Lifetime" of the vehicle. The second possibility is that your torque converter has a problem and needs to be replaced. Search this forum for posts from owners who had to have new torque converters. This is definitely something you would want to have corrected under warranty.
Thanks, will check the other posts.

On our '04, we occasionally have some noises when braking, and to my ears they sound more like suspension creaks than brake pad/caliper/rotor noises. Apparently the X350s are known for failing suspension bushes, and my assumption is that some or all of our bushings are failing. Your car is only 5 years old, so this may not be the issue for you, but it might at least be worth asking the dealer to inspect all your suspension bushings before your warranty expires.
They replaced the front wishbones and bushes about 6 months ago, (2000 Km ago) complaint at the time was knock when going over speed bump.... No change to the shudder when braking.

Will update further when I get the info.

Last edited by scotty1511; 07-22-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:56 AM

Update.

The Air Compressor - They said that the compressor was taking longer to fill the system than normal, I suspect there must be a tolerance for this - Was replaced under warranty on this basis.

Brakes - Nothing Found - Will monitor over the coming weeks.

Gear Change at slow speed - nothing found on test run and no codes on the vehicle. This is a difficult one and I wonder if my foot is to heavy on the acceleration, will monitor over the coming weeks and try and replicate and be more descriptive.

The following 2 users liked this post by scotty1511:
Don B (08-06-2014), JimC64 (08-06-2014)