XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Park aid sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Park aid sensor

I have a fault on the park aid sensor, the system give a 3 second tone when placing in reverse and then shuts down, signified by the overhead switch illuminating, I have pin pointed (i think) to a rear sensor as this is the only one that doesn't tick when you place a hand near it, i've seen a few on Ebay and the like but does anyone know whether the rears ones have 90 deg electrical connections or are they the straight ones? I don't really want to strip it down just to have a look and would rather have a new one in my hand ready to swap.

cheers

Old 04-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try ensuring there is no dirt or polish between the inside (round thing) and outside circular thing around the round thing) sensors. When I bought my XJ6 it had been polished so many times that the build up of polish caused issues with the sensors. Once I had tcut the whole car and run a piece of card around the gao in the sensors the car looked much better and the parking sensors worked. Best thing - I got a few hundred quid off because it looked like I would have to replace a good few sensors as the seller couldn't get to the bottom of the problem. Hope this is of some help.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:56 PM

May be worth looking at, but the paint has come off on this sensor and it is corroded, so it may be worth removing and cleaning, repainting etc.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

According to the EPC fronts are 90 deg and rears are straight.

Straight fit a bit easier but the other style can be used also.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by meirion1
According to the EPC fronts are 90 deg and rears are straight.

Straight fit a bit easier but the other style can be used also.

Thanks, this is what my downloaded workshop manual suggests, just weren't sure if the cables would reach 90deg ones, I guess i'll just get the best value ones I can find and try.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:12 AM

I did buy a sensor from ebay £24! took a while to get here but looks identical and made in Germany (so it says) it was in fact a front sensor that was at fault(front inners are straights and outers are 90deg).
How i diagnosed the faulty one was to find a very quiet place and put the car in D with ignition on go round each sensor and put your finger o or near and you will here a ticking noise, my faulty one didn't tick.
Having done a few little jobs on the X350, I am of the impression that too much Ford has been put into the build quality, the front bumper was a good example, the clips where the bumper meets front wing were difficult to separate without feeling like they're going to break, one screw on the l/h side would not come out as it had seized, all the screws were rusty, i've also noticed that all the fasteners under bonnet have gone rusty as have the pulleys and sprung type hose clips, couple this with door cards that snap on like an old 70's Ford Cortina, by comparison my old Mercedes which was 4yrs older with over 200kmiles on the clock was almost like new under the bonnet, all fixings, even the manifold studs were still shiny, no rusty pulleys or brackets under here, even the suspension components were still painted! Obviously it was a shame Mercedes did't put so much effort in preventing their bodies from rusting.