XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Park Brake Fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 06:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Park Brake Fault

I am finally addressing my Park Brake Fault. When I remove the battery or fuse, It asks me to reset. When I try (following all the rules) I can hear it run a partial run and return to Park Brake Fault.
rtcisoc wrote a thread on using the isolated motor to work it several times freeing it up. I have made a diagram by interpreting rtcisoc's thread. I'd like someone familiar with this to review it and make sure I'm properly interpreting it before I fry something. Thanks in advance for your help. streamsaver

rtcisoc's thread
  1. disconnected the car battery and removed fuse 32 from the fuse box next to the battery Done
  1. took out the right hand carpeting in the boot (trunk for any US people) and took the connector off the bottom of the black plastic EPB module (it has 4 thick wires and with brown + ve and black - ve although power supplied through fuse 32) Done
  2. placed a 30 amp blade fuse in the slot with the red/white cable wedged with a small crimped copper wire (otherwise it is a loose fit). Spare fuses are in the compartment on the panel at the rear of the boot to the left of center
  3. connected a cable (I stripped a bit of 2.5mm twin & earth) with a normal spade crimp connector to the green/white
Note: A normal spade crimp won't fit in the green/white connector. It requires a thin one.
  1. I used a battery booster to provide 12V and connected - ve to the other side of the 30A fuse and the + ve to the green/white connected cable for a second or two.
You should hear the electric motor run and hopefully the lovely sound of your brakes disengaging!

I've attached a couple pictures to help illustrate what is described above. This is for an '04 XJR with Brembo brakes. I believe the '06 and later have a different looking EPB module. I decided to make a jumper wire with spade connectors on the ends, and keep it in the boot next to the battery in case this happens again. A good thing to have as an emergency release!

Ve is short for positive and negative

Original link

I think the photo is self explanatory using the narrative if I've hooked it up correctly
From <https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...se-how-112294/>

Old 08-03-2020, 03:38 PM

OK I believe I gave the wrong person credit for this procedure. I've looked through all my notes and I believe it was QuikCat QuikCat has a long history of helping people solve problems and I apologize for not recognizing the correct senior member. streamsaver

Old 08-09-2020, 07:17 PM
Received 13,425 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Hi streamsaver,

I can understand the confusion given the illustrations you posted.

The EPB motor runs when the control module applies voltage to the Red wire with White tracer stripe (RW) and the Green wire with White tracer stripe (GW). The direction of motor rotation depends on the polarity of the voltage. Here's the schematic:

You can test the motor by disconnecting it from the module and applying battery voltage directly and briefly to the RW and GW wires. If the motor doesn't turn in one direction, try reversing the polarity of the voltage to see if it will turn the other direction.

I am also attaching a couple of TSBs on the EPB.

Cheers,

Don

Attached Files
Old 08-10-2020, 01:05 PM

Thanks Don. A couple of things. I can't really read the elec diagrams very well. I've read every post on here and other sites including Youtube and Google regarding the EPB. I have JEPC and JTIS working on my windows 10 pc. I purchased the correct elec guide for my Jag. I don't understand most of the electrical, but if I can create and verify a mock hook up, I can still test it and see if it will work. Is there something wrong with my current example, if so, which wire or wires would I change to make it test the EPB. Thanks, streamsaver

Old 09-27-2020, 06:41 PM
Thumbs up

I used a similar set of jumpers sans fuse to disengage my EPB. The tip about reversing polarity did the trick for me. Once the motor started to spin, the car began to roll from leaning against it.

I have a replacement module on order.

Thanks, guys.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-27-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 12:39 PM

I received my replacement module and still have the parking brake fault. The parking brake is still off which allows me to use the car.

I need to get the codes read but there seem to be a lot of different but similar EPB control modules out there with differing versions. I am curious whether the different versions made a difference in operation of the module.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:02 PM

I thought I would provide an update on the Parking Fault. I obtained a new module and a iCarsoft reader. I put in the new EPB module and attempted the manual clear process. No love. I hooked up the iCarsoft v2 and it would not read the EPB. That surprised me but may the used part was bad. Put the original EPB module back in. Same results.
EPB test and read functions but nothing is getting to theEPD module. Is it possible the wiring has been damaged? I can get the motor to move on and off using direct current but the fact I cannot see the module would indicate a different problem up stream of the module. The behavior of the motor using the switch would appear to indicate the problem with the switch or wiring between the switch and the EPB module. However the inability to see the EPB indicates a different problem. There is a trouble shooting guide in the TSBs listed earlier in this thread but the troubleshooting requires the car to be on a lift which I do not have. So it will go to the shop.

As additional information, the fault started after going through a puddle at speed. I have heard there are problems with chaffing on some of the under car lines. The fuse to the EPB is intact. Also I am able to communicate with other modules on the car with the new reader.

I am stumped. This is the first time I have not been able to tackle a problem on this car with the help of this forum.