XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Parking Assist..help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 05:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parking Assist..help needed

I have a 2003 XJ6. X350 with parking assist front and rear BUT the rear ones are not working and i get the 3sec. sound and the switch lights up when reverse is selected...

what i want to know. is there any way to test the module that lives in the spare wheel well? i do not mind buying a new module but i want to make sure the original module is donald ducked first...it is like the one below only mine looks brand new.....
any help is appreciated....
regards
John...

Attached Thumbnails Parking Assist..help needed-%24%2528kgrhqnhjdcfcimhv7%2529mbqq6z-w-lq%257e%257e60_12.jpg  
Old 10-18-2013, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jaygee
I have a 2003 XJ6. X350 with parking assist front and rear BUT the rear ones are not working and i get the 3sec. sound and the switch lights up when reverse is selected...

what i want to know. is there any way to test the module that lives in the spare wheel well? i do not mind buying a new module but i want to make sure the original module is donald ducked first...it is like the one below only mine looks brand new.....
any help is appreciated....
regards
John...
bump...

Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

BUMP......Help a brother out!

I don't own the model but have had issues with other park assists in the recent past, usually its more likely a sensor failure, have you checked this & ruled that out?

I'm sure these would be cheaper than the module itself.

You may be able to test sensors as follows..

Ignition on without starting the car and put it into reverse. If you put your ear to each sensor in turn you may hear a slight / low click click clicking sound.
This would indicate that sensor is ok, obviously check all.

The best method would be a diagnostics check of course, have you done this?

Hopefully some of the guys with specific knowledge will be along to help out sooner rather than later.

Good luck

Old 10-18-2013, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64
BUMP......Help a brother out!

I don't own the model but have had issues with other park assists in the recent past, usually its more likely a sensor failure, have you checked this & ruled that out?

I'm sure these would be cheaper than the module itself.

You may be able to test sensors as follows..

Ignition on without starting the car and put it into reverse. If you put your ear to each sensor in turn you may hear a slight / low click click clicking sound.
This would indicate that sensor is ok, obviously check all.

The best method would be a diagnostics check of course, have you done this?

Hopefully some of the guys with specific knowledge will be along to help out sooner rather than later.

Good luck

I have checked the sensors like you say and none appear to clicking and the Jaguar dealership wants £93 to connect to their Diagnostic equipment then hourly charge plus parts on top ..
i think i will just make do with the front ones working and maybe install a wireless camera...
belive it or not i drove articulated vehicles for 40+ years and am dangerous trying to reverse a car ....
Regards
John...

Old 10-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Hey John, anyone near you have diagnostic equiment willing to do a quick scan for you?

If as you say none of the sensors are clicking I'm guessing you're more than likely on the money with the control module, its unlikely they've ALL failed.

Where's all the experts when you need them John?

Hope you can get it resolved.

I have the feature front n rear myself and its great to have.
Covering many many miles over the years prior to having them I could park to within an inch front or rear at any angle.

I like to think I'm still pretty good BUT the use of the parking aid over the years takes the edge away and makes you a lot more cautious I find.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 755 Likes on 633 Posts

"Where's all the experts when you need them John?"

Err.........................Tasmania! (on holiday).

Chances are it is a sensor.

With gear lever in rev and key in position 2, drop rear bumper and substitue each sensor in turn with a good one until system works normally.

Have a look at the module PCB to ensure no water ingress there.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:38 AM
psg
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the same problem, used a stethoscope (sp?) and none were clicking so I assumed it was the module and I went ahead and bought a used module on e bay installed it and no change. Had it into an Indy Jag shop for a trans service and had him scan it for a few issues ,among them the park sensors,and he told me I have 2 failed sensors one in the front, one in the rear. It seems when a sensor fails the system shuts down and you get the 3 sec beep and none of the sensors work (click). In other words you have to have the system scanned with the Jag system or do what Meirion1 suggests.

Stu

Old 10-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Yes if the front is having issues it will affect the whole system and vice versa I'm sure.

I still maintain though, that if you put the ignition on and the car into reverse then get down close, really close with your ear to the sensor, you will hear a click click clicking of any that are working.

It will NOT be a loud clicking noise so you will have to be very close and really listen. It should sound almost like the click when you're trying to start a gas hob with an electric starter, but quieter still.

I do find it difficult to believe that ALL have failed.

Please try the check again

Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64
Yes if the front is having issues it will affect the whole system and vice versa I'm sure.

I still maintain though, that if you put the ignition on and the car into reverse then get down close, really close with your ear to the sensor, you will hear a click click clicking of any that are working.

It will NOT be a loud clicking noise so you will have to be very close and really listen. It should sound almost like the click when you're trying to start a gas hob with an electric starter, but quieter still.

I do find it difficult to believe that ALL have failed.

Please try the check again

A big thanks for all replies, i think i will have to get someone else to listen as at 72 years young my hearing is not great.
Also the front sensors work perfectly which led me to think of the Module...
will try to sort and will also keep updating the post if i find any answers..
regards and many thanks.. John...

Old 10-24-2013, 03:27 AM

Hi All...
got my brother to listen with a cheapo stethoscope and he reckons there is one clicking and possibly two ..
someone is selling brand new sensors on eBay for £23 each but i am too stiff and old to start taking bumpers off, so i will just have to do without rear parking aid ....

Old 10-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 755 Likes on 633 Posts

I find the rear park assist essential with such a big car.

Buy the used sensor(s) and get someone to do it for you.