XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Parking Brake won't release

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake won't release

Greetings

On my 2006 XJ8 na, I have a parking brake that won't release. The actuator can be heard to set and release the brake but the brake remains on and though drivable does result in a very hot left rear wheel. I get no fault messages. I removed the rear wheel (driver/left) and could see that the parking break arm was still active, and the cable had not released it so I am assuming that something is binding in cable upstream from the caliper. I was able to release the parking brake by tapping it, and went to the off and the cable "extended" as you would expect. I have gone thru the calibrate procedure once which worked until I parked the car and it would not release as described above. Also all new rear brakes and calipers on the back and it all seems assembled correctly. The brake has worked, just now seems to bind.

This has been an occasional problem in the past but now is pretty permanent so I was wondering if I could release the brake manually and then disable the brake from re-engaging by removing a fuse. This would allow me to drive and continue the trouble shooting.

Thanks for any help

Mark

Old 01-10-2020, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

It sounds like the parking brake cable for that side has partly seized up due to corrosion. You could try lubing it by removing it from the lever and try to force light oil up the cable inner. Alternative is to replace the cable. As I recall when I saw my rear X350 brakes, there is a sleeve to cover the cable inner where it comes out of the outer part just to prevent salty water from entering. What is the state of yours ?

Other thing is - is the lever on the caliper free to move that actually puts the brake on ? Also with the handbrake released is the wheel free to move ? The caliper piston may be seizing as well so you might need a new caliper. I had to have one on my X350, they don't last forever. What miles on the car ?

Old 01-10-2020, 06:03 PM

Thanks for responding
As you suggest I suspect some corrosion somewhere in the cables. So far I have only been able to remove the wheel which allows me to see the caliper and lever. The calipers are new so I don't think pistons or levers are seized. I was able to tap the "lever" in such a way the cable released (extended) and the brake was free. In fact it kind of snapped out as it were suggesting some tension in the system. As the car is effectively disabled, and it's not easy for me to get the car up high enough so that I can crawl under it to see what the deal with the cables is, I plan on removing the wheel again with the brake commanded released, leaving the key in the ignition and performing the tap to release the lever/piston. Once released I plan on removing the 30 amp park brake motor fuse so that it can't turn the brake back on when I remove the key. I am hoping that doing this will just give my XJ8 something else to complain about other than the CATS and be OK or no adverse effects until the car can be put on a lift and we be able to see what's what. So I was wondering if this would be a reasonable approach?

The car is at about 105K. Recent work is a new strut rear LHS, new rear brake pads, rotors and calipers. Earlier this year we did some control arms and tie rods on the front and are planned on the rear too. Just pacing the spend rate.

Thanks

Mark

Old 01-11-2020, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 799 Likes on 671 Posts

I f nothing else when you get the cable to release, just push down on the lever when removing your key.

I very rarely ever let the brake set, why use it every time you park the car?????

Do you use it all the time on any of your other autos???????????

As complicated a pain in the rump to replace, why constantly use it unless needed????????

Same with seat memory settings, may be a nice convince, to make you LAZY.

But what do you do when a if motor, or module fail to move the seat??????

I would much rather use these things sparingly, and have them work well.

Than having to repair them, so they function when needed.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:01 AM

Was able to reset the parking brake manually (remove wheel and push on lever). Removed PB motor fuse before removing key. Worked OK, the brake did not get set though it does bring up the dashboard brake light. No errors reported which I find odd. Will now be able to get the cables etc checked out.

I don't think I ever use the parking brake on automatic vehicles. I don't know if it is now the norm to set brakes on vehicles equipped with electric brakes or not.

Thanks all

Old 01-13-2020, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 799 Likes on 671 Posts

That sounds like another way to achieve the same result, good for you.
I have gotten into the habit of pushing down on the release when removing the key.
Same end result, but lite stays out on the dash this way.