XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Parking Distance Control Fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parking Distance Control Fault

Just bought 04 XJ8 with 52k miles for $9k. Happy so far but have some issues .... will be posting questions ... so here is the first!

I am getting 3 second fault alarm when first put into gear. I have checked the fuse, checked all front and rear sensors, and all are clicking. Checked the connection to the module. Does this mean the module is bad? Can i do diagnostics on module, or is there anything else I can check before paying for a new module?

I apologize if this has been asked & answered ... but i have not had too much success searching forum.

Thanks for any help.

Btw, if you do not have stethoscope, use a screwdriver with butt end on ear and point end on sensor.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:52 PM

Finally got my lights straightened out after replacing read fuse panel ... so now i am back to obsessing on the parking assist ... come on folks, please suggest solutions

Old 03-05-2018, 08:25 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Which fuse do you mean by "the fuse"? I went thru the entire list of fuses, and didn't find any for the park distance sensors.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

Fuses are listed in the owner's manual.

PDC system (rear) is F32 I think. Rear fuse box.

The following users liked this post:
Xeno (03-08-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 07:36 PM

F32 in cabin fuse box

Xeno (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I would think if there is no "clicking" from any sensor, then it's a module fault. I have 2 fault codes related to the Parking Aid, C1718 Front left centre sensor circuit failure, and U3FF6 Parking aid short to ground, I am assuming these are related as the front centre sensor is the only one not clicking. The clicking is barely audible, I had to get me ear right on them to hear it. I gave the faulty sensor several sharp taps, as has been the recognised final step before replacement of dodgy parts on everything from wheelbarrows to space shuttles, and the thing fell back into the bumper, one tap too many maybe. Ah well give me something to do now that the snow has gone

Old 03-07-2018, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Lots of info on this forum re PDC system suggest search using Google

Old 05-14-2018, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Sensor No Clicking

My front sensor works fine, but get 3 second beep when put in reverse; Did test and no clicking. Any suggestions? Fuse? Module? Dirt?

Also, my convenience feature, where seat and steering wheel adjust when existing the car no longer works. Could this be related?

Old 05-14-2018, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

It's usually a sensor' they are the weak link in the chain.

You can find it like this:

Ign. pos 2

Reverse selected

drop rear bumper with cables connected

Replace sensors in turn until beeping stops and sensors work

I don't think beeps are connected to your seat-I stopped mine doing it but can't remember how.

Last edited by meirion1; 05-14-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by gstromb101
My front sensor works fine, but get 3 second beep when put in reverse; Did test and no clicking. Any suggestions? Fuse? Module? Dirt?

Also, my convenience feature, where seat and steering wheel adjust when existing the car no longer works. Could this be related?
Thanks for response. As far as seat and steering wheel convenience feature, 'my bad' - easy fix; just needed to put in AUTO position on steering column. However, can't get the side mirrors to collapse when i lock the car. Any thoughts?

Old 05-15-2018, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Press lock button twice in quick succession to lock car and close mirrors.

If that does not work you will need SDD to reset it.

Can you close the mirrors manually? ie with the button on the driver's door.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:30 PM

Thanks for reply. Tried to click twice; no, mirrors do not fold. However, when i press the button inside the car, they fold properly; just not on locking car. Sorry, what is 'SDD'???

Old 05-15-2018, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

SDD is the software for interrogating and making changes to the software which

controls your Jag.

The problem could be just the button on your key. If you have another key try using it.

If not I suggest you find an honest Jag dealer (not easy) and ask them to see if they

can set the mirrors for you.

Get a quote first-it should only take 0.5 hr to do the job.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:26 AM
Default Folding Mirrors

Thanks for followup. I'll try another key, then off to Jaguar Dealer if doesn't work.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:01 AM
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Parking Sensors Fault

Just went through having the warning sound for about 3 seconds when moving the gear lever to reverse. Really, it's a relatively easy fix. Put the car in reverse without starting it. Put your ear flush against each sensor (within the bumper). You should hear a very faint clicking. If you do not, that sensor is bad and will definitely trigger the warning when putting the gear lever in reverse. You do NOT have to drop the bumper. Remove the closest taillight and reach in to the sensor. It can be done as I replaced an outer and center one if my 05 XJ8VP last weekend. I have several spare sensors if anyone would need one or if you need more specific instructions. Email me directly: benzjag@hotmail.com.

Richard

Last edited by benzjag; 05-17-2018 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Add info
Aix (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 05:54 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by benzjag
Just went through having the warning sound for about 3 seconds when moving the gear lever to reverse. Really, it's a relatively easy fix. Put the car in reverse without starting it. Put your ear flush against each sensor (within the bumper). You should hear a very faint clicking. If you do not, that sensor is bad and will definitely trigger the warning when putting the gear lever in reverse. You do NOT have to drop the bumper. Remove the closest taillight and reach in to the sensor. It can be done as I replaced an outer and center one if my 05 XJ8VP last weekend. I have several spare sensors if anyone would need one or if you need more specific instructions. Email me directly: benzjag@hotmail.com.

Richard
Exactly, however the rear bumper is not that hard to remove.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

To be honest when I did mine a long time ago now I did not KNOW that it could be done

with ign in position 2.

I therefore did it with trans in R and the handbrake on! Dodgy or what?

The other problem was that there was no clicking so I did nor know which ones had

failed.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:21 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Okay so my battle is probably in line with others - My previous X350 only had rear Parking Assist and had one occasionally kludgy sensor. It would work itself out if I left t alone. The new 07 VDP is making me a bit nuts. The symptom was long beep indicating an error. I ordered and receive a pair of sensors in prep for routing out the culprit, and wanting to have a spare on hand.

Then the first really warm day the error went away and the whole system worked - front and rear. Currently, it goes like this: Very warm to hot weather with sun shining on FRONT bumper and all is well. If it cools down, it fails again. Note: 2 front sensors look to be painted incorrectly, as in too much paint, that covers the seam between the sensor and its surround. I tried cleaning some of it up with paint thinner since the sensors are black plastic on the black car would not bother me that they aren't glossy IF they work, but no effect. SO... I am thinking its either the paint, a dirty sensor, a failing sensor or its the wiring harness has been compromised, damaged or the connector to the sensor loom is dirty etc.

Heres my dilemma (as if I didn't already lay out a fair bunch of concerns!) I have seen folks complaining of rusted bolts and clips holding the splash tray under the bumper, and such. When I went to test ONE bolt, it was rusted and frozen. I treated ALL of them with penetrant/lubricant (WD40 and Fluid Film) but can only get a liitle on them) Bad enough that I am concerned I won't be able to snap the bumper cover in when I'm done and will make a huge mess of it (I have taken bumper covers off before but on cars thet were "cosmetically challenged, LOL) I am mostly worried I will be breaking bolts and needing to drill out the remaining sections.

Does ANYONe have a bit of advice and/or some experience wth these issues and if so, can you offer some encouragement and "what to do when things go incredibly wrong!"

REALLY want to fix this, but as with a lot of X350 things, getting at the problem without breaking stuff can be hugely intimidating. Ever look up how to change a wiper motor in X350? Of COURSE you have to remove the brake master cylinder and bleed the system after - why would that surprise anyone? While both of my X350's have been VERY reliable in my experience, I have not always loved pulling things apart on them.