XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Passengers seat occupancy sensor replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 01:18 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Passengers seat occupancy sensor replacement.

I am sorry if this has been addressed in another thread I just haven't been able to find it so please bear with me.

I am trying to resolve the last couple of bugs and I've been able to make great progress with help from this forum so I'm going back to the well. In this case, I'm trying to solve the 17 Airbag blink code associated with the B2291 error code. I bought a replacement Passenger Seat Occupancy Sensing Module from eBay hoping for a cheap fix but I'm at a loss as to how to find, remove, and replace it. By this I mean, do I need to remove the passenger seat? Is the module accessible without removing the seat? Do I need to remove the seat cushion? Has anyone seen a video or described a method for replacing this module? It seems like I should be able to find this but I get tangled in some long threads that are very time-consuming. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Old 12-24-2023, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 768 Likes on 642 Posts
Old 12-26-2023, 08:28 AM
Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by russpe
I am sorry if this has been addressed in another thread I just haven't been able to find it so please bear with me.

I am trying to resolve the last couple of bugs and I've been able to make great progress with help from this forum so I'm going back to the well. In this case, I'm trying to solve the 17 Airbag blink code associated with the B2291 error code. I bought a replacement Passenger Seat Occupancy Sensing Module from eBay hoping for a cheap fix but I'm at a loss as to how to find, remove, and replace it. By this I mean, do I need to remove the passenger seat? Is the module accessible without removing the seat? Do I need to remove the seat cushion? Has anyone seen a video or described a method for replacing this module? It seems like I should be able to find this but I get tangled in some long threads that are very time-consuming. Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Here is a document that describes the system and the location of all the components that might help.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ARTS Restraints System.pdf (832.6 KB, 143 views)
Old 12-26-2023, 09:56 AM

paddyX350!

Yes! This is a great help and the best document I've seen regarding the Occupancy Sensing Module (OSM), thanks and possibly you can help me with something that is troubling me. So, I bought a replacement (or so I thought) OSM from eBay but after I received it I'm not sure that is what it is. In the schematic diagram that I attached, you'll notice that the OSM has no fewer than a 16-pin interface while the adjacent Passenger Seat Weight Sensing Module (PSWSM) shows only 10 pins. The part I bought is listed as (Ford) 3W93-14B422-AB and (Delphi) 12237279 and the interface connector is only 10 pins which would appear to be the PSWSM and not the OSM if the schematic is correct, yet online searches say it is indeed a OSM. This is confusing and the document you sent doesn't show what they actually look like but rather their locations as items 8 and 9 in Fig. 165. I guess it will become more clear when I take a look under the seat which brings me to my final question :-) Does the seat need to be removed to access these modules?

Attached Files
OSM.pdf (167.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 12-26-2023, 02:56 PM

Here is the latest update.

First of all, the passenger seat DOES need to be removed to access the OSM and what I believe to be the Restraints Control Module (RSM) components, but the good news is that removing the seat is very easy. Four bolts hold the seat down, the front (2) bolts require an E12 socket, and the rear 2 need a 15mm wrench or socket, and they are all easy to get to. On my 04 XJR only the rear bolts had a cover that needed to be pried off to get to the 15mm bolts the fronts were exposed. Once the seat is unbolted, it can be pivoted back since there is plenty of slack in the harness, and once tilted the modules are easily accessible.

There are 2 modules that can now be removed, a small plastic one that I believe is the OSM and a bit larger RSM in a metal case, both can be removed from the seat bottom with a T25 driver. The RSM case is held together with 5 T8 screws to access the Printed Circuit Board inside. I inspected the PCB and found nothing obvious so I put it back and then I swapped the plastic OSM with the one I bought from eBay which did NOT clear the 17-blink code. So I replaced the new OSM with the original, reinstalled both modules and refastened the seat.

So I'm not quite sure what to do next, I suppose it is possible that the B2291 fault code simply needs to be cleared but my iCarsoft scan tool isn't up to the task and I really do not want to buy one that is since I've got three already. Should I just live with the blinking airbag light?

Old 12-26-2023, 03:36 PM
Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts

A few comments;

The Restraints control module is not located under the passengers seat, it is located behind the radio/CD center console. Look on page 209 on the document I attached to my last post.
The two units under the passenger seat are the Occupancy sensing module and the Passenger seat weight sensing module.
Your flash code of 17 and dtc B2291 relate to the Passenger Occupancy sensor(s) of which their are 4, again see page 209 of the document attached to my previous post and see page 13 of the document attached to this post giving details of the different flash codes. As you can see the fault code B2291 could be a fault with any one of the four occupancy sensors, the wiring harnesses/connectors or a calibration or communications fault.
If it was me I would check all the connectors associated with the each of the Passenger occupancy sensors and the Occupancy sensing module. If you look again at page 13 of the document attached it identifies all the connectors. You can find the location of the connectors from the wiring diagrams that you already have. I think with a professional level diagnostics tool you might be able to identify which one of the occupancy sensors is causing the fault.
My only experience of flash codes was with flash code 22 and it was solved by chasing down and cleaning all the connectors associated with the drivers seat bolster airbag.
I think if you have a fault with the restraints system it disables some or all parts of it so I think you have to get it fixed. Also here in Ireland a car will not pass inspection with an airbag light fault on the cluster.
I'm pretty sure that the iCarsoft should clear the fault. If you have tried and it comes back immediately it means that the fault is still there.

Attached Files
Old 12-27-2023, 02:38 PM

paddyx350

I think I'm beginning to understand how I may have gone wrong. When I searched eBay for a replacement OSM the part that I was directed to and bought was in fact the Passenger Seat Weight Sensing Module, and since I had no idea what it looked like, I (wrongly) assumed it to be the OSM. Therefore, the module I replaced wasn't the OSM it was the PSWSM and that didn't need replacement. So now I'm aware that the metal-cased box next to the PSWSM IS the OSM which I know is what I should be concerned with regarding the B2291 code. I found one on eBay that is listed as the Right Passenger Seat Module which seems to be a misnomer but hopefully, it is the OSM and it will solve the issue. But, to your point, I will spray electrical contact cleaner on all of the connectors under the seat which seems to have solved problems for other members of this forum. Thankfully in NJ they only care about OBDII faults that trip the Service Engine light so I'm not required by law to fix it, but I'd like to just because.

Attached Files
CML.pdf (52.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-13-2024, 10:51 AM
Default Airbag 1-7 blink code RESOLVED!

Finally, after 6 years of watching the airbag warning light blink the 1-7 code every time I started the car, it's fixed. It turned out to be the Passenger Seat Occupancy Sensor Module (PSOSM) and I found one cheap on eBay. First I tried to clean the two mating connectors with an electrical contact cleaner but no luck there. Since I had mistakenly replaced the adjacent module previously, I knew how to do this and it took under 30 minutes from start to stop. I am down to the very last gremlins now which are the driver's side rearview mirror that only moves up and down, and the rear parking sensor that works intermittantly. I have all the new (and used) parts but I think I'll wait till spring to tackle those jobs, but for now I'll be very happy just to see no warning lights.

I was originally thinking that I'd be able to fix the original circuit board but without a schematic (or firmware) I'd be just guessing.

The following users liked this post:
FrankZ06 (02-28-2024)