XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Pause before second crank to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Pause before second crank to start

Hello, first post so thank you in advance for the help.
2004 XJ8, bought from bargain used car dealer early 2019 with 104,000 miles on her. First trip to gas station and fuel begins pouring out underside of vehicle after filling up to about 3/4 of tank. Had that fixed but a few weeks later she starts having difficulty starting - took her to mechanic and Fuel pump replaced (figured that's why she was traded and the previous owner knew enough to disconnect some things but not re-connect). She was good for a week and then started having difficulty starting again - had sender unit replaced and fuel system cleaned out including new fuel filter. Current situation is that she will not start first crank, BUT if I crank for 5 seconds and then turn key to full off and then wait about 8 seconds she'll start right up on 2nd try.
I have zero pressure at the fuel rail after she sits for a minute or more.
The wacky thing is that if I start the second crank immediately after the first she does not start - have to wait that 8 seconds and she starts right up. After she is started she runs like a dream.
Baffled! Should have all new check valves which I believe are part of pump and sender units right?
Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:47 AM
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

If your fuel pressure drops after the car sits for a little while then you most likely have a fuel leak. Even if your fuel pump is not working the pressure in the fuel rail should stay constant when the car is off.

Places to check for a fuel leak would be the fuel rail itself, especially around the injectors - the orings become brittle and split. I had a fuel leak after changing an injector, the leak resulted in loss of pressure at the fuel rail when sat for a while. Interestingly there was no fuel smell but it was clearly leaking.

You should also check the fuel filter connections as you mention the fuel filter was replaced recently.

I'd also check all the pipework at the fuel pump to check for a leak.

Can you smell fuel around the fuel rail or pump or filter?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 12-17-2019, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chris,
ended up being The check valve in the brand new fuel pump supplied by the dealer but installed by a different shop. Dealer would not honor the warranty claiming that the ethanol in gasoline these days makes that impossible for them?
$1250 for new pump and valley coolant hose (the reason I actually took it in as the 5 sec delayed 2nd start I could live with).

Old 12-18-2019, 03:29 PM
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Great news that you've got it fixed. It had to be something to do with the fuel supply.. Can't believe that a new pump was faulty and that the dealer would not replace it under warranty and to cost you that much as well. Thanks for the update.