XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Pedal adjusting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 04:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi gmanhorse, I could access everything from the footwell and the pedals remained in place. I am no engineer but with my limited tools I was able to take the drives apart and reassemble them.

The following users liked this post:
Jaroslav Záruba (10-28-2023)
Old 11-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Great... ANOTHER project... Thanks guys!

Really, it wasn't bad enough that I have to take my rear power sunshade apart to repair what some bozo broke weeks before I bought the car, or pull and replace the left front side marker light for rusted components (all my sidemarkers were rusted out, but this one actually broke down inside, or pull my center console out to examine the Bluetooth module that refuses to stay connected after pairing... now I realize that my pedals only move about an inch, and knew it the moment I saw this thread (I think I was in denial, since I only moved them a couple times, but they are definitely NOT moving 2.5 inches)

Sigh... it's cool. I knew these kind of things would be popping up to keep me "engaged" with the mechanical devices in my car, but I really could have waited until I finished straightening out everything else before adding another item to the list...

It's ok. I will report back how mine looks once I get in there in the next couple of weeks - very curious if I will see the often mentioned "gap" others are reporting in the gearing. Would just lubing everything up and testing full motion work? We shall see I guess! Here is a squirrel to keep the Pancake Rabbit company:

Old 05-28-2016, 07:20 PM
TJC
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone resolved this issue or answered the problem conclusively?

Old 05-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

I know that I am reviving a dead post but I thought I'd share with you all that there is a real fix for this issue. I developed a replacement gear for the Ford Panther platform a few years ago. Recently I was contacted by a Jag owner and asked if I could fix his pedals. The long and short of the whole deal is my gear is correct for your cars. You simple take the pedal assembly apart and replace the plastic gear with a graphite impregnated bronze gear and all is well. If any of you are interested in a gear please let me know! Curless Auto Repair 616-988-1315

Attached Thumbnails Pedal adjusting issue-gears-2.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Curless Auto:
Datsports (05-23-2017), Jaroslav Záruba (10-28-2023), NilsW (07-24-2023)
Old 05-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Received 226 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes I'd be interested but in the end it depends on how much the gear fix costs

Old 05-23-2017, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Curless Auto
I know that I am reviving a dead post but I thought I'd share with you all that there is a real fix for this issue. I developed a replacement gear for the Ford Panther platform a few years ago. Recently I was contacted by a Jag owner and asked if I could fix his pedals. The long and short of the whole deal is my gear is correct for your cars. You simple take the pedal assembly apart and replace the plastic gear with a graphite impregnated bronze gear and all is weall. If any of you are interested in a gear please let me know! Curless Auto Repair 616-988-1315
I keen if it fits the s type also ?

Old 05-24-2017, 08:30 AM

I sell the gears for $85 shipped to your door in the USA.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:32 AM

I have not done much research as to what Jags this fits. I know that the gentleman I helped out had an XJ8, I believe it's an 04. If you guys can verify what cars use the same pedal assembly I'll be glad to help out. I tried locating used pedals here in Grand Rapids but the local salvage yards just don't have many Euro cars...

Old 05-29-2017, 06:40 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Where is the drive mechanism for the pedal adjust? Up above the pedals someplace? What has to be done, to get at the mechanism? Any tricks to taking it apart? Any info appreciated. Thx.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freedom at Last

I had almost forgotten the niggling things that are just part and parcel to owning a Jag. Life is too short to have to battle constantly with the engineering foibles this marque is famous for. It was the most beautiful of cars I've ever owned, which is why I was so forgiving of its failures. But now I enjoy life much more, and drive an ugly duckling GLK350. And she got what it takes.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:53 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

It's terrible how they can have such badly engineered mechanism. Anyway, mine is broken too, but I just use my foot to help it along a bit. Same goes for my headrest (the kind with the screen for the backseat). It's broken on it's own too but with my help will move up or down. Totally annoying.

The following users liked this post:
Jaroslav Záruba (12-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2017, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Boomer from Boston
Where is the drive mechanism for the pedal adjust? Up above the pedals someplace? What has to be done, to get at the mechanism? Any tricks to taking it apart? Any info appreciated. Thx.

It's located on the gas pedal assembly. There is an electric motor on the gas pedal that runs the pedal in and out. They use a cable much like an old speedo cable to run from the gas pedal over to the brake pedal mechanism. It's the brake pedal side that fails. I have complete write ups on how to do a Marauder, Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, Town Car and also the Expedition and Navigator on my Facebook page (just scroll through the photos). Unfortunately I do not have a Jag to do a write up on. If anyone lives in or near Grand Rapids Michigan I'd be glad to repair your car for free if I can use it for the write up.

Curless Auto Repair on facebook... for some reason I can't link it here...

Last edited by Curless Auto; 05-30-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Curless Auto
It's located on the gas pedal assembly. There is an electric motor on the gas pedal that runs the pedal in and out. They use a cable much like an old speedo cable to run from the gas pedal over to the brake pedal mechanism. It's the brake pedal side that fails. I have complete write ups on how to do a Marauder, Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, Town Car and also the Expedition and Navigator on my Facebook page (just scroll through the photos). Unfortunately I do not have a Jag to do a write up on. If anyone lives in or near Grand Rapids Michigan I'd be glad to repair your car for free if I can use it for the write up.

Curless Auto Repair on facebook... for some reason I can't link it here...
Quite a nice facebook page, I like how you go to such detail to blog your repairs. I saw a very nice Maurader the other day at the gas station. Love how those cars are such stealth beasts.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Hoepfinger
Quite a nice facebook page, I like how you go to such detail to blog your repairs. I saw a very nice Maurader the other day at the gas station. Love how those cars are such stealth beasts.

Thank you, I try to show all of our builds we have going on... it's hard to keep up! Yes, my Marauder surprises quite a few people! I'm at 410 RWHP, roughly 500 Crank. She weights in at 4510# with me in it... runs 12.35 @111.