XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Phone (PSE) install

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Phone (PSE) install

Question for the Jag pros,

I have 04 VDP, which claims to be "prewired" for phone install. I got PSE unit from 06 XJ8 from a junkyard. As far as I can tell there is a nice D2B connector, taped to the the side wire jungle. The D2B connector is connected to a "D2B loop" cable - I'm guessing this would fit in the PSE. There is also a big flat wire harness bellow the CD changer which I guess is TL-7.

A few questions: does the head unit need to be programmed to regcognize the PSE after it is installed? Can this be done via the "secret 917" menu on the nav screen?

Looking at the electrical diagram, the mic is connected to TL68 and some sort of a bridge needs to be installed, between pins 12-13, 2-15 and 1-3 - is this something apecial or just cut wire? Where would TL68 be?

Whet needs to be done for the bluetooth gizmo to be installed?

Thanks,
Venelin

Old 01-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Default RE: Phone (PSE) install

I installed the PSE module yesterday - prety straight forward, connect the TL-7 connector in the back, remove the "loop" from the D2B connector (next to the amp) and plug it in the back of the PSE module. The car recognized it aotomatically.

Now the car says "handsfree module is in use, place the handset down" instead of "phone not fitted". Next I'll need the bluetooth thing.

I'm still wandering about the jumpers that need to be placed on TL-68 - the connector for the voice module. I don't have the voice modue, do I need to make some wire jumpers, or is there a special plug I need to get?

Is this the voice module connector, or am I looking at the wrong thing?

[IMG]local://upfiles/3929/48F6A1A8D8ED4D7D8514772619F4B11D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

There is just a lead you can buy that bypass' the voice module which isnt needed anyway . Just short the wires need i think its about three wire in total at that connector this for the micro phone to work . You will also need a blue tooth module, bluetooth antenna and the mic of course and a d2b cable to loop everything together to work in sync. This will have to be bought at a dealer or thru me and is vehicle specific. And everything will have to be programmed at the dealer for everything to work.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

And yes that the voice connector

Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 AM

thanks jag genius,

There was a "spare" D2B connector with a "loop" taped to the cables tat go to the amp, I removed the loop and plugged the D2B connector in the PSE. Is ther any way to check if the mic is installed? The car was supposed to be "prewired", which I hope means the mic should already be in the overhead console.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

Pre-wire just means the harness is there for the install but no components are installed. You will need to get the mic from Jaguar. You also need to make sure you have the modules connected in the proper order on the D2B ring by purchasing the proper D2B link lead. If the modules are not in the correct order the system will crash and you will lose functionality of everything in the audio chain. You will also have to have the audio module programmed with the IDS for the addition of the phone module. If you don't have the module programmed the system may work for a few days but it will eventually crash again causing loss of sound from everything on the D2B ring. You could either make your own jumpers for the voice module connector or buy the proper jumper from the dealer, it just bypasses the voice module for mic input to the phone module and the dealer connector just has loops of wire similiar to what you saw on the D2B jumper.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:09 PM

Thanks Real,

Do you happen to know the part numbers for the mic and the jumper?

Old 01-25-2009, 03:49 PM

hi Real,

Looking at the Jag fitting instructions it looks like there are two types of microphones, if you have voice the mic is inside the overhead console. For the phone the mic is external, mounted on the headliner.

Do you have any experience which one produces better results?

I would personally prefer the one that is inside the OH console, if sound quality is comparable.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

Unfortunately the sound isn't comparable and Jaguar released a service bulletin for this. Basically the bulletin says "if yourvoice on phone calls sounds like crap to everybody put the external mic in".I believe the only mic currently available from Jaguar is the external mic. You will need your headliner color to get the correct one.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I suspected there is some issue like that otherwise there won't be and external mic.

I worked on the Microsoft Sync for Ford for a while and the different microphones had very big impact on the phone call quality. Too bad it is not available for Jags, it is an awesome gizmo.