XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Photos of left engine mount replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 10:51 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Photos of left engine mount replacement?

Getting ready to replace my left engine mount and I've printed the instructions from the manual, but the line drawings are a little confusing. I did not find any help in the archives yet.

Does anyone have photos of the process?

I may try this on ramps rather than a lift and I do have a device to fit across the engine bay and lift the engine from above.

I am also not clear why the manual tells you to remove the left wheel or if the unbolting of the rack is to gain access to the engine mount bracket or to allow the engine to be lifted. I think I only need to lift the left side as the engine rocks up some 4 inches under torque because of the broken mount.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:05 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Do a search. It seems to me there were a few threads on this subject a few years back. I vaguely recall some photos as well.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Do a search. It seems to me there were a few threads on this subject a few years back. I vaguely recall some photos as well.
I searched for engine mount and motor mount, but not much turned up; hence the post.

If someone has done this job, please comment on the wheel and steering rack removal - necessary or not. Be nice to know before I crawl under. Otherwise I may wait for the trans mount to get here and do them both on our British car club's lift.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:50 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I think the unbolting of the rack is so that you won't pull on the ps fluid hose when you lift the engine.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what were your symptoms?

Old 01-04-2016, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlackKat
I think the unbolting of the rack is so that you won't pull on the ps fluid hose when you lift the engine.
I just put the front wheels on ramps and slid under and it looks like there is not enough room to get the left engine mount bracket out unless the rack is lowered. Also looks like there would not be enough room for me to get under a lowered rack using the ramps, so I'll wait until I can use our club's lift.

Originally Posted by mbwillgrubs
Just out of curiosity, what were your symptoms?
If you give it gas with the brake on in drive, the engine raises up on the left side several inches. It did not raise on the right side in reverse so the diagnosis was a failed left engine mount. It does not look bad from underneath with no signs of a leak, but then it could have lost fluid long ago. The straps appear to be intact so they must be limiting the upward movement of the engine on that side to keep it from hitting the bonnett underside, but it still looks like a lot of movement when viewed from above.

The other symptom is a bad "clunk" when driving over shallow potholes or railroad tracks that can even feel like a kick in the seat of your pants; we figured the clunk is the transmission tail moving up and down and hitting the support bracket; a new transmission mount is due today, so I plan to do both at the same time. The transmission mount looks to be the easier of the two and the right engine mount looks like it would be a piece of cake VS the PITA left engine mount with the steering shaft and rack in the way. You can just see a bit of the mount in the V of the rack in the photo below.

Attached Thumbnails Photos of left engine mount replacement?-left-engine-mount-1-4-16-9-.jpg   Photos of left engine mount replacement?-left-engine-mount-1-4-16-13-.jpg  
Old 11-29-2016, 04:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I rare often get the message of Gearbox Fault. will changing the gearbox mount solve this ? Also in the pics given can you please circle the mount in both pics. Also are these for engine mount or the gearbox mount ? Please give details.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:21 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just did this on my '04 VDP. Lower the steering rack, including disconnecting the steering shaft, remove the upper and lower mount nuts. (Upper is a bugger.) Using a screw jack on the left front corner of the engine, raise about 4" and maneuver the mount out. You may have to disconnect the air inlet from the throttle body. Mine was already off. No need to remove the wheel or loosen suspension.
I did this on my lift, didn't take any pics, but it is pretty straight forward, just be careful with the motor jacked up.

The following users liked this post:
abonano (12-01-2016)
Old 10-07-2017, 11:54 AM

This is an old post but...
Had the mount actually failed and what was the failure mode? Leaked fluid, something broken?
I have an 04 that I am suspecting but no point in the aggravation if this is not the problem.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:56 AM

Mount was actually broken. No leaks, straps intact, visually fine. On moderate/hard acceleration from a stop, the air duct would pull off the throttle body and cause a severe surge. Diagnosed by accelerating in gear with brakes on, hood open, saw engine lift and pull on air duct. Broken mount was obvious after removal.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:54 AM

Did you use Jaguar parts or an aftermarket brand. I am seeing Jag parts for $155 and aftermarket at $35 each

Old 10-16-2017, 11:20 AM

I believe I bought it from Rockauto. The difference is a plastic (I believe) shield vs. a metal shield on the original, and no straps on it. Works fine, holds up under torque well. I only wonder if it breaks in the future, how high will the engine lift, without the restraining straps.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

So I am waiting for my 3rd alternator and while I am waiting I thought I would replace both engine mounts at 108,000.

The alternator side is easy enough however the steering wheel shaft side not so much.

Try as I might I cannot move the bottom steering wheel clamp after taking the pinch bolt out.

If I take the upper clamp, the one that the steering shaft goes directly into, pinch bolt out will the shaft push up and out?

That spline shows no rust at all whereas the bottom one does show rust.