XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Piano Black mockup in the XJR...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 06:38 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
Nice touch with the wrap on the upper console. One reason I'm drawn to the piano black, though, is that it blends in very nicely with the navigation surround. I've never liked how abrupt the transition was at the ash tray from the Burl to the Piano black.

My only concern with using Piano black instead of some sort of wood grain is that my interior will be all black (unlike your cranberry/black two-tone), so I don't know if it will provide enough contrast. Any chance I could persuade you to photoshop the red out of your interior so I could see what the all-black might look like?
I don't do photoshop, that was Aonsaithya's handiwork

But my old X-Type was full Charcoal interior with Piano Black veneer, might give you some idea?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rim-kit-66954/

The reason I say will be, is because I haven't found the right XJR yet.. I tend to "put the cart before the horse" with these things... I've already ordered an all-leather heated wheel off of eBay in anticipation of the project, as wrapping the wood on the steering wheel seems infeasible.
Where did you get a full leather heater steering wheel? The leather wheels were not heated from the factory; only the half or full wood wheels were heated...

I put an S-Type R wheel in mine to get rid of the veneer, but I had to disconnect all the heater connections at the steering column, if I'd known there was a heated leather wheel available....

Old 10-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351

But my old X-Type was full Charcoal interior with Piano Black veneer, might give you some idea?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rim-kit-66954/

Where did you get a full leather heater steering wheel? The leather wheels were not heated from the factory; only the half or full wood wheels were heated...

I put an S-Type R wheel in mine to get rid of the veneer, but I had to disconnect all the heater connections at the steering column, if I'd known there was a heated leather wheel available....
Thank for the link to your X-Type. The more I look it over, the more the Piano Black looks better to me, even with an all-black interior. Since it will be an XJR, I think the sportier look is appropriate. I have my XK8 for when I'm feeling nostalgic about the lack of wood! The Piano Black wrap is also much more cost effective than having all of the veneer redone for $2k.

As far as the heated all-leather wheel, it came off of an S Type R. The listing advertised it as heated, but I was skeptical because I also thought they didn't offer a heated option. It was only $50, so worst case scenario I can return or re-sell it. Can you tell from the photos if it is indeed heated? I noticed it seems to have adaptive cruise control, so I'm thinking it was off of a highly optioned car...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261173728206...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What I would probably do is send my wheel off to Madera and spend the $200 to have it professionally re-veneerd in Piano Black if this one doesn't work out. PhilHef had that done to his XK8 and it looks nice. Being in Chicago, I refuse to give up the heated wheel (I'm a wuss, I know...)

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 10-30-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:24 PM

There were no full-leather heated wheels from the factory.

I just took a couple of pictures of my heated wheel, you can see the circuit board is different to the one you linked to. The heater wiring is in the top right of the board.

Compared to the one in your link

Also that wheel in your link is not from a car with Adaptive Cruise, it's doesn't have the rocker switch on the right hand side...

Old 10-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

There were no full-leather heated wheels from the factory.

Also that wheel in your link is not from a car with Adaptive Cruise, it's doesn't have the rocker switch on the right hand side...
Ahh, I was looking at the rocker on the other side.

Upon further research, the 2009 Super V8 Portfolio came with an all-leather heated wheel, but it's blue...

http://www.metrolinaautogroup.com/20..._241767683.veh

However, based on your photos, I would be inclined to agree that this wheel is not heated. Bummer. So I will attempt to send it back, or re-sell it myself, and go the route of having mine re-veneered in Piano Black.

But, nonetheless, at least I've established that I do like the Piano Black interior!

Attached Thumbnails Piano Black mockup in the XJR...-rocker.png  

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 10-30-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:39 PM

Isn't this the rocker for adaptive cruise?
The wheel is back to front, that rocker is for the audio controls, look on the other side, no switch..

Upon further research, the 2009 Super V8 Portfolio came with an all-leather heated wheel, but it's blue...
Really? That'd be a new one on me...but like you say it's blue so that doesn't help much... also don't believe what you see in that ad, I'm 99% sure the X358 Portfolio did not have a heated wheel...

Old 10-30-2014, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

The wheel is back to front, that rocker is for the audio controls, look on the other side, no switch..

Really? That's a new one on me...but like you say it's blue so that doesn't help much...
I reazlied that, yes I changed my post but you were too quick to reply haha!

But I have verified on Edmunds and NADA, as well as several other sources, that indeed a heated steering wheel was new and exclusive to 2009 only. Apparently, it was not exclusive to the Super V8 Portfolio. So there may be some black ones out there. But.. good luck finding one.. right?

http://www.edmunds.com/jaguar/xj/2009/

http://www.nadaguides.com/cars/2009/jaguar/xj-series

it looks like my best option will be to have the veneer redone in Piano Black then.

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 10-30-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:58 PM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

Looks good my XJR6 had a semi gloss dark wood look to all those pieces

I know a guy that does the carbon fibre treatment through transfers

I am getting the rear wing for my Capri X pack done like that it will look like carbon fibre but its a transfer

Being A XJR I think a satin carbon fibre would look awesome

Last edited by doc; 10-30-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by doc

I am getting the rear wing for my Capri X pack done like that it will look like carbon fibre but its a transfer

I've definitely thought about doing the carbon fiber, but I plan on adding black mesh grilles from Mina Gallery up front (ignore all the chrome on this car), so I think the Piano Black will be a nice way to tie those into the car.

The OEM carbon fibre veneer in the XK8/R Victory Editions looks beautiful

Attached Thumbnails Piano Black mockup in the XJR...-mina-black-grilles.jpg  
Old 10-30-2014, 08:18 PM

But I have verified on Edmunds and NADA, as well as several other sources, that indeed a heated steering wheel was new and exclusive to 2009 only. Apparently, it was not exclusive to the Super V8 Portfolio. So there may be some black ones out there. But.. good luck finding one.. right?

2009 Jaguar XJ Review | Edmunds.com

Used 2009 Jaguar XJ Series Values- NADAguides
I reckon they are wrong.

The offical Jag parts catalogue only lists half & full wood wheels being heated, and the Navy Blue Portfolio wheel is listed as not heated.

The following users liked this post:
01Silverstone (10-31-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I think that is the definitive source then. Surprising there's misinformation in so many places.

Actually, not really surprising...

Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

By chance, I happened to be browsing the X350/X358 section and noticed a familiar thread title.

The hue of the seats is a bit off, but you should get the idea.

EDIT:

Huehuehue.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 10-31-2014 at 07:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aonsaithya:
01Silverstone (10-31-2014), toaster (11-01-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
By chance, I happened to be browsing the X350/X358 section and noticed a familiar thread title.

You, sir, are a god. Many, many thanks!

After seeing this, I think I'm sold on the Piano Black route. There's definitely enough subtle contrast to make it visually appealing.

You also had the benefit of joining in after our incredibly confusing steering wheel debate!

(Note to self: learn Photoshop to I don't need to beg others for help with my chronic indecision...)

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 10-31-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

You, sir, are a god. Many, many thanks!

After seeing this, I think I'm sold on the Piano Black route. There's definitely enough subtle contrast to make it visually appealing.

You also had the benefit of joining in after our incredibly confusing steering wheel debate!

(Note to self: learn Photoshop to I don't need to beg others for help with my chronic indecision...)
Timing is everything ;D you're welcome.

I don't actually use Photoshop, but rather Corel's Paint Shop Pro. Not only is it far cheaper than Photoshop, I also find the user interface more pleasant (and easier to figure out). If you want to try your hand at image editing, I'd certainly recommend that program.

01Silverstone (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

EDIT:

Huehuehue.
Haha, don't give me too many choices! I wouldn't mind the factory wood if the grain was more subtle and there was less red in it, like your second mock up.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Haha, don't give me too many choices! I wouldn't mind the factory wood if the grain was more subtle and there was less red in it, like your second mock up.
Given Cambros's interior colors, I like this one as well as the grey stained maple. The grey stained maple works a bit better IMHO but both the dark stained walnut and the grey stained maple would be nice in his car.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:49 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

EDIT:

Huehuehue.

Perfect, stitched wood!

Old 11-01-2014, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by toaster
Perfect, stitched wood!
The devil is in the details I couldn't be bothered to remove the stitches, also, the steering wheel is not as glossy as the dashboard veneer. I did however remove the reflection of the red seats from the chrome trim on the glove box button!

toaster (11-04-2014)
Old 02-09-2015, 05:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loving the piano black interior Cambo, I'm thinking of doing something very similar around the ashtray and J-Gate, but having the top of the dash done in a brushed aluminium like this.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Received 122 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by doc

Here's my XJR with a 3M Satin Carbon Fiber wrap.

bxj (11-21-2022)
Old 02-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddybear

Here's my XJR with a 3M Satin Carbon Fiber wrap.
That looks fantastic, especially with the colour of your seats.

Did you make a cutaway for the airbag light? If so, was it difficult to get it to look neat?

Quick Reply: Piano Black mockup in the XJR...