XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

piece of rubber stuck behind spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default piece of rubber stuck behind spark plug

Hi,

I have a 2004 VDP. I was replacing the ignition coil on cylinder 6 (right side, second from the back), and given that there isn't enough clearance to pull the old coil straight up, I had to pull it at an angle. While doing that, a rubber fitting on the bottom of the old coil fell without me realizing it. I placed the new coil and it obviously did not fit so I tried to wiggle into place, to no avail. Finally I realized the reason, but by then the piece of rubber was lodged pretty good behind the spark plug.
My fishing expedition started, and after couple hours over two days, I was able to pull the rubber piece out, but of course, it can't be that easy. A small piece of it was torn off and looks to still be behind the spark plug.

I managed to take pictures with the phone that showed the piece of rubber.
Here's what I've tried so far, with no luck:
I've used different types of tweezers, picks that are curved at the end, thin wire, placed a garden hose at the end of a house Dyson vacuum and pushed it all the way into the spark plug and ran the vacuum.

At this point, I believe I am able to put the new coil in, but don't want to yet for the fear of pushing the piece of rubber further in.

Any thoughts on how I can get the darn thing out?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails piece of rubber stuck behind spark plug-obj1.png   piece of rubber stuck behind spark plug-obj2.png   piece of rubber stuck behind spark plug-vac_attchment.png   piece of rubber stuck behind spark plug-tools_used.png  
Old 12-10-2017, 02:32 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

If you have an air compressor a blast might dislodge it?

Old 12-10-2017, 03:09 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by mhannaoui
Hi,

I have a 2004 VDP. I was replacing the ignition coil on cylinder 6 (right side, second from the back), and given that there isn't enough clearance to pull the old coil straight up, I had to pull it at an angle. While doing that, a rubber fitting on the bottom of the old coil fell without me realizing it. I placed the new coil and it obviously did not fit so I tried to wiggle into place, to no avail. Finally I realized the reason, but by then the piece of rubber was lodged pretty good behind the spark plug.
My fishing expedition started, and after couple hours over two days, I was able to pull the rubber piece out, but of course, it can't be that easy. A small piece of it was torn off and looks to still be behind the spark plug.

I managed to take pictures with the phone that showed the piece of rubber.
Here's what I've tried so far, with no luck:
I've used different types of tweezers, picks that are curved at the end, thin wire, placed a garden hose at the end of a house Dyson vacuum and pushed it all the way into the spark plug and ran the vacuum.

At this point, I believe I am able to put the new coil in, but don't want to yet for the fear of pushing the piece of rubber further in.

Any thoughts on how I can get the darn thing out?

Thanks.
Visit the local home improvement store, and find a 6" or 8" screw and screw it into the rubber and pull it out.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 767 Likes on 641 Posts

I would unscrew the plug off the threads without pulling it out of the plughole allow it to

move down.

You may then be able to remove the rubber or if you are lucky it will come out with the plug

Old 12-10-2017, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. The piece of rubber is too small to screw anything to it, and I have not been able to prod it out with anything. I think my best bet is a powerful air compressor, then if that does not work is to loosen the spark plug then try the compressor again. I don't own one, so waiting till tomorrow to take it to the nearest mechanic shop to use theirs.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 800 Likes on 672 Posts

Hemostats are often handy at things like this.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:59 AM

To close the loop on this question, I tried to dislodge the piece of rubber using an air compressor, then followed by a vacuum, I loosened the spark plug and repeated the air and vacuum process, used different type tools, from picks to wire to hemostats, but nothing worked. The location of the cylinder is awkward and I don't have a clear view or straight access which may have contributed to not being able to retrieve the piece of rubber. I gave up for now and just placed the new ignition coil in, so I can drive the car again. I may regret doing so later on, but I'll deal with it again when I have to replace the spark plug.