XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Please help. I just need to get my wheels off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 05:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help. I just need to get my wheels off.

Long story short, I don’t have the tool necessary to get my lug nuts off. I’d prefer to not have to get in there with a dremel/chisel/extractor tool if I don’t have to. Does anyone have a link to an aftermarket tool or socket that fits the nuts on an 05 X350?

19mm, 22mm, 6 spine, 7 spine? I’m clueless.

The Jag failed my state inspection with flying colors, so I need to get in there and fix a handful of suspension problems (air shocks are fine thankfully) along with somehow finding replacement sockets and pigtails for all the marker lights. Wish me luck.

Last edited by Cneukum; 06-22-2021 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

If the OEM nuts are damaged then use a socket that you can hammer on then you will

have the grip to remove the nuts.

The following users liked this post:
philjoemill (06-25-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

Mine are 21 MM Hex. Assume yours are also.
A local Jaguar Master Tech told me he has removed thousands of Jaguar two piece lugnuts with no issues. My car has Amazon solid lug nuts.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

As you don't have a wheel brace to remove the nuts, can I assume you also don't have a trolley jack and axle stands to safely lift and support the vehicle?

I use what is now called a 4 way wheel wrench although I've always called them a spider. Two benefits - it has 17mm, 19mm, 21mm and 22mm sizes and gives a lot of leverage.

Now you need to pray some gorilla with an air wrench and no clue about torque hasn't fitted the wheels!

Graham

Old 06-23-2021, 07:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 06-23-2021, 07:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GGG
As you don't have a wheel brace to remove the nuts, can I assume you also don't have a trolley jack and axle stands to safely lift and support the vehicle?

I use what is now called a 4 way wheel wrench although I've always called them a spider. Two benefits - it has 17mm, 19mm, 21mm and 22mm sizes and gives a lot of leverage.

Now you need to pray some gorilla with an air wrench and no clue about torque hasn't fitted the wheels!

Graham

Thanks for the response! I actually do have the necessary floor jack and stands to safely work on it. I also have an array of all sockets and wrenches I might need. I’m more curious about the “spinning” lug nuts. I was under the impression that I needed a specific tool to remove them.

My plan is to replace them with more traditional lug nuts immediately after removing the current ones. I just didn’t want to damage anything removing the current nuts.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Key to success is use a hexagon socket, not a double-hex (with 12 corners). I had to buy one specially for my MG TF as I had trouble with the wheel nuts on that.

Cneukum (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 02:07 PM
Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Lug (Wheel) nuts

Originally Posted by Cneukum
I’m more curious about the “spinning” lug nuts. I was under the impression that I needed a specific tool to remove them.

My plan is to replace them with more traditional lug nuts immediately after removing the current ones. I just didn’t want to damage anything removing the current nuts.
Hi Cneukum,
I might be missing something, but I think that in some places locking (anti-theft) wheel nuts are fitted that require a special spline tool to remove. Are you talking about these? There are several different spline arrangements and usually (ha ha!) the tool is in the boot (trunk) somewhere. I understand that if you can't obtain the correct tool, then it is possible to wreck the locking nut enough to remove it. I think there are several threads about that. The original stainless steel shrouded nuts seem to be ok on mine, and I have no locking nuts. This may be a market-specific setting, my car is ex-Japan, but many UK and US cars seem to come with the security nuts, one per wheel to prevent wheel theft. Many here promote Toyota solid cast nuts as a good alternative to the genuine ones, which are SS so never really shiny. Of course I agree with the comments above about using a 6-point socket or tool, and avoiding air or electric wrenches for fitting (and probably removing) the nuts. Really keen people use a torque wrench for final tightening.

Pete

Old 06-23-2021, 02:20 PM
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts

The standard nuts are 19mm and as has been said use a 6 point socket. I'e just replaced mine and the new ones are solid nuts that are 21mm. Bin the standard nuts and for the love of God get rid of the security nuts as the are rubbish.

Old 06-23-2021, 02:46 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

What may help is an 18.5 or a 19.5 mm socket. lugnuts with sleeves can potentially be a tad bigger where say a 18 is too small, and a 19 is too big. Over use it allows for slipping and eventually stripping.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Old 06-23-2021, 04:32 PM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Tip:
If you do have smooth "locking lug nuts" that you have no key for, then do use a 12 point socket to remove them.
How? No problem.
1. Find a 12 point socket that is just the right size where it is a little too small to fit over the smooth part of locking lug nut.
2.Beat socket on with a sledge hammer (over the locking lug nut). Remove socket (with locking lug nut jammed inside) with breaker bar .

With a little work, you can tap the lug nut out of the inside of the socket and proceed to the next wheel. be careful not to mar your wheel with the hammer.
If a gorilla installed the wheel last , the socket may spin. But it worked for me.

Old 06-24-2021, 01:44 AM

Or just us some of this special sockets.
Amazon Amazon
An impact bolt and nut remover. Very helpfull.

Tigre (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lug nut nightmares

I have had such anxiety with my 2006 Jaguar Super V8 Portfolio wheels and lug nuts until I did the following:
First off, the car is METRIC so don't bother using SAE sockets that are not 19mm. That is what started the whole process and what caused them to get "rounded" along with cheap crowbars. Use a heavy duty 19mm socket and hammer it on the rounded ones. Don't be afraid make sure its seated properly and all the way on and problem solved. Then use a good quality large socket wrenches and in order to gain leverage a large breaker bar helps. Just be careful of the bar getting too close to the body and potentially doing some damage if not controlled. Make sure you have replacement lug nuts ready. I got mine off Amazon, they were inexpensive a good quality and one piece rather than the 2 piece Jaguar variety.. I spent one afternoon doing all four wheels and have had no problems since replacing them all. I have since replaced my 2 rear air struts by myself and taking the wheels off went from the most dreaded part to the easiest. Remember NO SAE tools only Metric. Resist the urge of it "kinda" fits and regain control. Hope it all works out

Old 06-25-2021, 07:12 AM

Replacing wheel studs is a pain and expensive.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...7/#post2269430