XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Please need Help! XJ6 Behaving Bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please need Help! XJ6 Behaving Bad

Hello my fellow Jaguar inmates!
Need some help here with my 1994 XJ6......

Question:can a faulty ignition amplifier cause a bad spark in the ignition coil/spark plugs and also make the fuel pump not to pump?
I´m asking this since I saw a post of another Jaguar member who says exactly this on a post here at the Jaguar Forum.

The problem:

My Xj6 is having trouble to start the engine, at first I checked the spark at the ignition coil and spark plugs, no spark.
My original ignition coil was in very bad shape, one of the post was broken so I bought a new one (Bosh original part number)

After that I got a clean and bright spark, but the engine won´t start.
Tried to put some engine start spray at the air intake but no luck, engine started but really bad, a lot of white smoke came out of the tail pipe. After a few second the engine died...

So I checked the fuel pump, fuel pump relay and electrical fuses.
Fuel pump relay got energy and it worked OK. All the electrical fuses: OK.

I couldn´t hear the fuel pump working inside the fuel tank, so I checked the fuel rail at the engine, it was dry, no fuel at all.
After that I took the fuel filter out to check. I found some fuel inside but with the key switch ON and cranking the starter no fuel came out of the line from the fuel tank.

So I take out the fuel pump and once outside of the fuel tank, I connected the pump to a 12V and the pump works! I pumps fuel very easy. With a hose I made a bypass to connect the fuel pump to the metal line from the fuel filter to the engine, the engine got fuel at the fuel rail, but the engine won´t start again.....

I checked one more the spark at the ignition coil-spark plugs and found no spark this time!

So I remember that old post from a member here that have almost the same problem with an older XJ. He found out that the ignition amplifier was causing the engine to lose the spark and energy at the ignition coil but here is the catch: also making the fuel pump not to pump fuel.

I think my brand new ignition coil is OK, I will test it today with a multimeter just to make sure (anyone knows how much Ohms do I have check?)

My pump is working pretty good outside the fuel tank, engine is getting fuel with pressure (I don´t have the special gauge to test the pressure, just assuming is OK)

Can I check somehow the ignition amplifier? Can it cause problems with the engine spark but also the fuel pump?

Please help! With the spark and fuel working and not working I´m going crazy...

Thank You! All the best

Old 08-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Ah, you're in the wrong sub-forum OM, this is for the X350 which was 2003-9.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Partick the Cat
Ah, you're in the wrong sub-forum OM, this is for the X350 which was 2003-9.
Sorry about that, you´re right!!
My mistake.....
Going to be more careful in the future, I´m new to the forum.