XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Please school me on buying an XJ!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please school me on buying an XJ!

Hi guys. Long time lurker here who just joined. Tell you a little background, I have always wanted an XJ, and I'm retiring from the police department where I have worked for 25 years in a couple of months and will be withdrawing some retirement money to buy one. My wife and others keep telling me to be "sensible" and buy an Infiniti or other Japanese brand instead. That's all well and good, and I've owned Japanese cars for many years and know how reliable they are........but I don't care. I still want an XJ. I've wanted a Jag since I was a kid, and I figure after 25 years of working I ought to be able to pick the car I want instead of the car that is "sensible" for once!

I am right now looking at several XJ8's or XJR's from 2004-2006, all with around 60-80K miles on them. I am working with a budget of about $20K, I'm withdrawing money from savings because I never want to owe money on another car again, and that's what I've limited myself to.

The first question is one you probably get a lot. Are the XJ's of this vintage reliable at 60-80K miles? I've done a lot of research and it would seem to me the answer is yes, in fact more so than most brands. However, I can also remember the old days and the bad reputation for mechanical and electrical problems that Jaguar once had. A friend had an XJ in the mid-80's and it was in the shop literally on a weekly basis sometimes. Even though I'm retiring from one job I will be going to work in a new career and need a car that's reliable, and this Jag will be my daily driver. Bear in mind I know I'm not buying a Camry and don't mind a reasonable level of maintenance, I just don't want to fall into a money pit.

Second question. Any particular things I should look at in a used XJ? I'm pretty familiar with cars and do most of my own shadetree maintenance on anything short of involving pulling an engine. However Jags are obviously a lot more complicated than Altimas and Sentras, etc. From the reading I've done here it seems the biggest problem a lot of guys seem to have is with the air suspension.

Third question. Do you think the XJR's are any less reliable than the XJ8's? I only ask because my experience with supercharged cars has always been that they tend to suffer more problems than their normally aspirated brethren, due to the extra pressure on the pistons, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the extra 100 or so horsepower (as well as that awesome supercharger whine), it's just reliability matters more to me as a matter of necessity.

And lastly, we do get a moderate amount of snow here every winter, and I am looking at the car as a daily driver. I would be using snow tires on the car during that time. Does anyone have much experience with how XJ's do in the snow with proper tires?

Thanks much in advance for any replies, and thanks for having me as a new member!

The following users liked this post:
jjd247247 (02-16-2015)
Old 07-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My 05 XJR has 63k on it now. thigns to be concernedabout are aur suspension compressors, and as youre now looking at a car that is 6-8 years old little things can happen such as a vacuem line failing, etc. Otherwise, great car. I plan on running dedicated snow tires on mine this winter on a set of 18" xf wheels.

zoostation (07-03-2011)
Old 07-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Also, jerky shifting from the ZF transmission can be a problem. Apparently it can be solved by replacing the transmission fluid/filter, and also by having the transmission reprogrammed. Could cost a few hundred dollars for these items.

My XJ has almost 50k miles on it, and the thing that is most troubling right now is the power steering. Also, the headliner is starting to sag which is very very common.

zoostation (07-03-2011)
Old 07-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a good vehicle for everyday driving to and from work. I would limited my driving for long road trips, get a beater for work. Your looking at replacing Brake Pads more often and you would want to use Ceramic Pads to slow down Brake Dust. At about 60,000 miles you will most like need a new Air compressor which lift and lower the front end. The Throttle Body replacement and the XJR has a firmer ride and you will feel every bump in the road. The XJ has a softer feel and lastly I work at the Fifth District on Bladensburg Road good luck and thank you for your service 25 years WOW!!!!!!!!!! I'm right behind you 18 months and done. I would not buy the vehicle without warranty preferably a used CPO (certified pre owned) from a Jag Dealer check cars.com within 500 miles. I hope this help.

zoostation (07-03-2011)
Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy the vehicle you won't regret it. I drive my 2005 XJR with 68,000 miles everyday in the summer only never the winter it stays inside the garage. Please don't forget I would not buy this vehicle without a warranty preferably CPO (CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED). There are at least 4 dealerships in your area pump your breaks and take your time research research research!!!!!!!!!!

zoostation (07-03-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Look for a low mileage 06 or 07. These units just came off factory ( SE or standard) factory warranties and the typical 1st owner will sell at that point. Thats how I acquired and 06 XJ8 -Base model in Winder Gold. Re: brakes; I found a receipt in the paper work from my purchase for an $895 brake job ( front only ). New jag rotors and jag pads are extraordinarily expensive and the pads are engineered to wear prematurely, after extensive research on this site I found Akebono was best selection for rear and EBC Redstuff on front. I was lucky to have all four rotors turned and baught a power bleeder from motive products.. worked perfectly. You need to keep the brake fluid fresh, so pick up a power bleeder customized for the jag. Air suspension can require service and with original jag shocks ( air spring ) at around $1000 each you can use alternatives like Arnott reconditioned... there is alot of discussion on this topic here on the site. An extended warranty will cost around 5k ... that's what it was for my 06 with 39k. Oh and no warranty company covers shocks. Extended warranties can be a hassle to deal with the providers..these people on the phone when trying to negotiate a claim are professionals in the art making you frustrated... they won;t cover full shop rates, insist on used parts. I would take the 5k and put it in jag maint kitty. Also, be aware of you auto insurance.... these cars have NADA AVC that exceeds the purchase price. This is sort the opposite of GAP feature. You need to know what your premiums are paying for. Not to be a pessimist, are paying for total loss coverage equivalent to your purchase price or paying for coverage that in line with ACV. Point being, is if someone clips you are tears off your rear bumber and dings a fender, it is highly likely that your insurance co will total the vehicle. If you find one you like, and get a high degree of confidence after chatting it up with the owner and they have all paper work, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a one way ticket to Atlanta or Houston or wherever and purchase a low mileage 06 or 07 from a private individual.
Bob

The following 2 users liked this post by locorebob:
jjd247247 (02-16-2015), zoostation (07-03-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

I think you will do well with a car in your year and price range. Considering the cost of the XJ when new, buying 'previously enjoyed' cars can make good fiscal sense.<p>

Sounds like you have mechanical know-how but you may want to consider a jag certified car. I decided that the risk-reward of a certified vehicle was worth the additional cost. I purchased mine in Mar 2009 and still have several months left on the warranty. While not needing the certified warranty for any repairs so far, some may claim that it was not a worthwhile investment. I would disagree as the peace-of-mind the certified warranty provides is worth it to me.<p>

While searching, in addition to the warranty, I looked closely at the condition of the interior, wheels, paint and chrome trim. My thinking is that if the original owner cared for these items, they probably cared for the mechanicals as well. Besides, the carfax will illustrate the facts of the service history, so the condition cosmetics can provide 'soft' details about the cars previous life. <p>

To respond to some of your questions:<p>
Are the XJ's of this vintage reliable at 60-80K miles?<p>
So far so good...I purchased at 43,000 and am now at 63,000 with no appreciable differences in performance/reliability.<p>

Any particular things I should look at in a used XJ?<p>
I would like to have the bluetooth telephone option, but that has been easily remedied with a standalone add-on device.<p>

Does anyone have much experience with how XJ's do in the snow with proper tires?<p>
No experience in snow other than snapping some photos in the driveway (see avatar), I still try to keep it out of the rain!!!!<p>

Hope this helps, enjoy the search!<p>

Last edited by magmedia; 07-03-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JAG400
Not a good vehicle for everyday driving to and from work. I would limited my driving for long road trips, get a beater for work.
I definitely agree with you there. I have a beater that I use to drive to and from work. It definitely keeps the Jaguar costs down. But then again, with my income level, I probably shouldn't be having an X350 anyway. But I could say that about a lot of things...

Old 07-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

I have a 2003 XJ and over here in the UK they did a 3.5 V8 SE, it has 160000miles on it now and has probably cost me around £5000 in maintenance over the 110000 miles I have had it. Considering the mileage I actually think this is quite reasonable, I have had it 4 1/2 years now.
I fitted Nokian winter tyres last winter and was amazed at how brilliant they were, what a change from normal tyres in the cold weather and snow.
As you have noticed on here there are some issues with the air suspension and also the wishbones will need doing, I have done all four of mine in the time I have had it. Also had a new air suspension compressor, and the main unit in the boot which distributes the air around the components, and one suspension air spring unit as well. Have also had a couple of sets of brake discs ( rotors) . Numerous sets of pads and a few other odds and ends.
Best of luck in your choice of car, I love Jaguars and am on my 8th now, still have the X350 because I like it so much and recently managed to get a new XJ as well,

Old 07-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,376 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Originally Posted by locorebob
. Oh and no warranty company covers shocks. Extended warranties can be a hassle to deal with the providers..these people on the phone when trying to negotiate a claim are professionals in the art making you frustrated... they won;t cover full shop rates, insist on used parts. I would take the 5k and put it in jag maint kitty.
My front shocks were replaced while under warranty @ 38K miles, I now have 75K and no issues. However the Jag CPO warranty does not cover them. So I spent $4K on a bumper to bumper that does cover air suspension, as well as everything else on the car except maintanance items like oil changes, filter changes, etc unless they are related to a cover warrantied part. It is good until 100K miles. You might want to look into it. I also believe Chrysler had a good warranty available for any vehicle manufacturer for around the same price.

As fate would have it, I have not had a single claim on the extended warranty since the factory one ran out. Go figure.

Good luck.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your responses to my questions. In response to some concerns, I am definitely going to be getting a service contract of some kind with whatever Jag I buy. I have had them in the past and never lost money on one. In fact I think I was up about 4 to 1 on my initial investment on the last car where I had one (an Impala).

But thanks to all. Very good info. Can't type much more now, also just getting over a cervical spinal fusion last week which is keeping me on my back (literally) quite a lot for the next few weeks. But all the better since in a few weeks when I'm better I'll be able to appreciate a new (used) Jag even more!

Old 07-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Hi zoostation

The other thing is to check the car has received all of its servicing at the correct intervals(10,000 miles or each 121 months). There is a service book in with the owners document pack and this should show the service stamps, and, hopefully, the invoices. I get them with my car when I bought it.

My X350 XJ6 which has a 3 litre V6 in it not exported to the US had been pretty good so far, although I have needed a service exchange suspension compressor. There is an active after-market in the UK and the USA for Jaguar spares as they do cost a bit from Jaguar, (just like other up-market cars). Trouble is the cars depreciate, but not the spares prices !!

Old 07-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Buy a later 2004 manufacture or 2005 if possible. Earlier built cars can have torque converter issues that are $2500 to fix.

As for an investment, make sure you car has NAV and Xenons.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Consider yourself schooled!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I disagree strongly with the posters who say this car is not a good daily driver.

I have done so for 5 years, my 2004 XJ8 has 132,000 miles with no problems at all. I have a set of snow tires I use in the winter in Buffalo, NY.

Again, those who say the vehicle is not a good daily driver are completely wrong.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned a 2006 with 53k for 4 months and really enjoy it as a commuter car- comfortable, good MPG, etc. Always look forward to driving it, too. I can understand if bad road or parking conditions cause you to drive a beater but a late model XJ is not a mid-60's E-Type so drive it...

Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Plant
I disagree strongly with the posters who say this car is not a good daily driver.

I have done so for 5 years, my 2004 XJ8 has 132,000 miles with no problems at all. I have a set of snow tires I use in the winter in Buffalo, NY.

Again, those who say the vehicle is not a good daily driver are completely wrong.
No, I agree. This has actually been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. It is almost a daily driver (sometimes it sits for a week or two while I drive one of the others) and has even been all over the country a few times. I have been fortunate.

I think what others are trying to say is that there are some issues that may or may not come up and some of the parts are very expensive. But most parts on cars these days are expensive and again I have found this to be a solidly built vehicle. You can't go wrong. Just know the service and ownership history and make an educated decision from there.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Plant

I'm not saying it's not a good daily driver, I'm saying its an incredibly expensive daily driver. Then again, that is expected--it is a luxury car!

I have a ton of nagging issues that will probably only get worse with mileage. Before I got a separate daily driver, somehow, including all my gas, insurance, fuel, maintenance and repairs, I have ended up spending about $1000/month (not including car payment) to keep this car on the road and looking and running like new. That is certainly not chump change. Let's not discount how much insurance costs to use this as a commuter car in an urban area. The price premium is almost a hundred bucks a month extra over just using it recreationally.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
No, I agree. This has actually been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. It is almost a daily driver (sometimes it sits for a week or two while I drive one of the others) and has even been all over the country a few times. I have been fortunate.

I think what others are trying to say is that there are some issues that may or may not come up and some of the parts are very expensive. But most parts on cars these days are expensive and again I have found this to be a solidly built vehicle. You can't go wrong. Just know the service and ownership history and make an educated decision from there.
Kinda funny that you say it's a daily driver, yet you have 4 cars that you, presumably, split your driving with. I bet I put more miles on mine (maybe 500 or 600 miles a month) using it recreationally than you do using it daily!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Kinda funny that you say it's a daily driver, yet you have 4 cars that you, presumably, split your driving with. I bet I put more miles on mine (maybe 500 or 600 miles a month) using it recreationally than you do using it daily!
It can vary. The XJ about 14,000 miles per year, the XK about 3,500 miles per year and the Ram about 7,500 per year so I guess you could say I drive a lot, mostly recreationally. Lol.

Quick Reply: Please school me on buying an XJ!