XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Possible new car

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new car

Hello all. I am looking at a 2004 Vanden Plas. I’ve read the common issue threds but they all look to be a few years old. Anything I should look for? And do you think $6000 is a good price for 98k miles on it? It just had the rear shocks replaced as well as a new thermostat housing. I already own an 86 Vanden Plas but it’s a completely different cat than the 2004.

Old 05-25-2024, 03:24 PM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhillzoom
Hello all. I am looking at a 2004 Vanden Plas. I’ve read the common issue threds but they all look to be a few years old. Anything I should look for? And do you think $6000 is a good price for 98k miles on it? It just had the rear shocks replaced as well as a new thermostat housing. I already own an 86 Vanden Plas but it’s a completely different cat than the 2004.
Well, you can be reasonably sure that they're not selling the Jaguar because it's working. Actually, the first thing that you should be asking yourself is to why they're selling the car in the first place. I mean , replacing the rear shocks was a sure sign that the owner was having issues with the air suspension, and you can pretty well assume that the problem still exists. What really would concern me was to why they replaced the thermostat housing as they could also have some cooling issue with the engine (for whatever reason). As for the $6000 asking price, that might have been a fair market value if the vehicle was in excellent mechanical condition (which it apparently was not).

Old 05-25-2024, 10:01 PM
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi, I am a happy owner of 2004 VDP for 2.5 years. Mine had originally 47K miles and I paid quite multiple of what Jhillzoom is quoting.
Car has factory airsuspension. This is not a daily driver, rather a garage queen. I do not drive it in winter too much sand and salt on the road.
I had to replace headliner. I knew that going in.
During my ownership following was done:
Spark plugs and coils replaced in first three months of ownership; Car threw missfire code, I replaced all eight, as long as I am there.
Replaced aircompressor seal was giving me plausability error.
Rear collision sounder.It stopped working I took rear shelf off when I was replacing original audio system with Android head unit. While at it I did replaced sounder and now it is working fine.
Changed transmission oil, filter-pan, mechatronic sleeve and transmission slevees, fuel filter; no indications, just PM.
Ah, yes windshield washer screen: failed first inspection: winshield washer was not working due to clogged pump screen
Fluids: rear differential; engine coolant; brake fluids, engine oil.
Replaced break pads 3 months ago.
I will have to rebuild CA and related components all 4 corners. All rubber bushings are split but are holding for now. I covered ball joints with new rubber boots, I guess, to prolong agony. I was hoping to work on CA's past winter, but something else came up.
For 20 years old car I think I am doing good.
Every old car is different, even if you think you have al history..