XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Possible Suspension Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Possible Suspension Problems

I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM BUT ITS NOT THE AC COMPRESSOR AS YOU GUYS MAY THINK UNLESS ITS ON WITH THE AC BEING OFF.... My car has been doing the same thing and a horrible feeling that you are experiencing . It happens when I first start the car but then goes away.. Also its sporadic as well. In my mind I have been wondering if the cold weather might have something to do with this as it has begun to get cooler here in NYC ... I haven't even bothered checking it out because I know they will try to rob me and in my mind its not that serious .. But I would love to know what the hell it is so if anyone figures it out... PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Old 12-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsedita74
I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM BUT ITS NOT THE AC COMPRESSOR AS YOU GUYS MAY THINK UNLESS ITS ON WITH THE AC BEING OFF....
Now that is a leap of logic.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:42 PM

call it what you want mk... all i know is minus that annoying noise for 5 seconds out of the day my car runs MINT...... I'm not gonna get robbed by the dealer...

Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 PM

I'm actually leaning toward the noise having something to do w the fan when it first starts up..... i got a feeling thats what it is.... I'm actually having an indie shop check it monday morning.... lets see what this bozo has to say

Old 12-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Hey jah I just noticed something... Not sure what it means though. I noticed as I started my car just now after sitting over night that the noise was present and as I pressed on the brakes while still in park the noise who stop and as I let go it would start up again? Now I'm not sure what if anything that means but maybe one of the service techs in here may have come across this issue before. Also I noticed today that the front end seems a bit low sitting parked although it looks fine once started. Maybe it's me being paranoid ? Who knows. Any input would be great !!!

Old 12-13-2011, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Problem persists...yesterday I thought the car was going to stall twice it was running so rough...

Anyone else with ideas?
i bit the bullet and swallowed my pride and brought her in for service today.... I should get a report tomorrow . I couldnt take the noise anymore and coupled w the suspension to low message I said to myself let me just drop it off and see what they tell me.... Ill let you know tomorrow what they tell me jah.....

Old 12-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by jsedita74
hey jah i just noticed something... Not sure what it means though. I noticed as i started my car just now after sitting over night that the noise was present and as i pressed on the brakes while still in park the noise who stop and as i let go it would start up again? Now i'm not sure what if anything that means but maybe one of the service techs in here may have come across this issue before. Also i noticed today that the front end seems a bit low sitting parked although it looks fine once started. Maybe it's me being paranoid ? Who knows. Any input would be great !!!
hmm, from a bozo mechanic at a rip you off dealer.. Ide have to say you have a vacuum leak at the brake booster. More pronounced when cold since seals shrink slightly when cold youll get a lean condition when the engine needs a rich condition the most(cold engine, cold start) roughness from this and since you stated the noise goes away as you push on the brake(the seal rides a differant spot and probobly seals then or just goes silent. But this is all based on conjecture over the internet based on info and experiance
cheers

Old 12-14-2011, 11:39 AM

I have done absolutely NOTHING to the vehicle except add a video module to the front nab screen and that was done months ago.... The dealer just called me and said NPF no problem found but of course its 50 degrees out today so its a bit warmer. I will go get the car today and bring somewhere else to have that checked out....

Old 12-14-2011, 11:49 AM

Did you explain to them what you just did here, cause i would say the same thing based on info. But if they cant duplicate, and or dont want to go on a limb without having definitve duplication, and using your money....

Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 PM

yes i did and his response was "its just the air suspension compressor filling up the shocks"? ummmmm what????? i don't buy it because like I said as I push the brake the noise goes away. Now I explained everything to my cousin who is a certified bmw service tech and without telling him what you told me his answer was "a vacuum leak at the booster" which is kinda similar to what you said.... and this is without even looking at the car and me just describing what the issues I'm having are

Old 12-14-2011, 03:18 PM

Lol...imagine that, 2 techs, not looking at the car and diagnosing the same fault. I guess theres alittle miscommunication between you, the advisor, and the tech. I see your cousin is real smart too huh

Old 12-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Banned

Service advisors rank below used car salesmen IMHO!

Good job Brutal

Old 12-15-2011, 01:52 PM

during a conversation w someone who turned out to be a mercedes tech I was told this yesterday..... "If I having a leaking shock and the pump is struggling to fill it up the pump will make noise from over working itself".. As far as the noise going away when I press on the brake his response was " well it could be that the air compressor is connected in some way to the brake booster" i forgot his exact explanation but it sure as hell sounded good... any service techs in here that can help out in deciphering what I'm trying to say? loll I'm sorry i was just overwhelmed last night....

Last edited by Jsedita74; 12-15-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Banned

I can promise that the compressor is not tied to the brake booster. Why would it be? The compressor gets louder as the pressure in the tank increases. It is working harder to put that last 50 psi into the tank.

The system first uses the tank if the press is sufficient, It then turns on the pump. after the system need for air is satisfied it will then fill the tank. This is usually done at road speed to minimize the noise.

What happened to the brake booster leak?

during a conversation w someone who turned out to be a mercedes tech I was told this yesterday..... "If I having a leaking shock and the pump is struggling to fill it up the pump will make noise from over working itself".. As far as the noise going away when I press on the brake his response was " well it could be that the air compressor is connected in some way to the brake booster" i forgot his exact explanation but it sure as hell sounded good... any service techs in here that can help out in deciphering what I'm trying to say? loll I'm sorry i was just overwhelmed last night....

Old 12-15-2011, 10:14 PM

omg this is killing me......... i read somewhere that there was a gauge to test the pressure of the shocks...... anyone where i can purchase this device

Old 12-16-2011, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 443 Posts

omg this is killing me......... i read somewhere that there was a gauge to test the pressure of the shocks...... anyone where i can purchase this device

You can check in

www.autoanything.com

They should be selling gauges too

Old 12-16-2011, 09:10 AM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...agnosis-42703/
YOURE WELCOME

The following users liked this post:
Jsedita74 (12-16-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 08:10 PM

what does the red light w low vehicle warning indicate? I've heard of people getting a yellow light w a warning message .. maybe that will round it down to a couple of things instead of a million ........

Old 12-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Banned

Red lights usually indicate an unsafe condition like a door open. Vehicle too low is unsafe hence the red light.

I think the car is haunted.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MK 82
Service advisors rank below used car salesmen IMHO!
:
lol!

Quick Reply: Possible Suspension Problems