XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Potential Buy - Please Advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Buy - Please Advise

Hello All,

I have recently made the decision to buy a Jag. I've been looking at two 2005 XJR's with 75-85K both priced around 16.5K. The one with more miles has some more options but I'm still not sure. I used to have an S-Class and was bogged down by huge maintenance issues. I was wondering how reliable these cars were and if the investment was worth it. Are these cars pretty good or should I run while I still can? Thanks for the advice!

Regards,
Michael

Old 06-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

I don't know that you will save a whole lot on maintenance costs vs the S Class, but the Jag is a brilliant car, IMHO. Look around the forums here for the most common problems & things to watch out for when inspecting a used one. I would strongly encourage a pre-purchase inspection by a local Jag expert, if you have one around. He/she should be able to save you some $$ for maintenance/repair work as well over the dealership.

For common stuff like oil changes and the brakes, you should be able to tackle yourself, if you're handy.

Probably the most common/frustrating things I've encountered are the Air Suspension Fault and Airbag light issues - plenty of threads discussing those around here.

You can't go wrong with the right Jag...

Old 06-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I think there is a need to separate out "Maintenance" and "Repair". For me, things that are expected to wear out regularly over the life of the vehicle like tyres, brakes, etc are "fair wear and tear" and so are maintenance. Servicing each year, (or each 10,000 miles), is maintenance. Everything else is Repair. The trouble is some things on this saloon seem to suffer from "unfair wear and tear", (my expression). They are wearing items, but don't seem to last as long as one might expect.

In my car, this manifested itself as rear suspension joints wear, and the air suspension compressor. I have also had a few transmission issues, which were all caused by software, so not expensive to fix, about 30 minutes labour time, just a damned nuisance.

Now; early on in this cars production life the above two issues caused much grief among secondhand owners due to the cost of the replacement parts. Now I have no experience of Mercedes, but there is a large aftermarket for Jaguar parts and now in 2012, these once-expensive parts are now half the price or even less. Also, if you really suffer with the air suspension, it is possible to swap it for a coil spring system made by a US supplier. Here in the UK the air suspension system doesn't seem to be a serious issue. My independent shop locally has never swapped an air spring unit, and the car was made from 2003.

The engine and transmission, drove shafts etc is pretty nigh on bullet-proof. Many forum members have posted about cars on over 200,000 miles, or even more. So they can run the marathon, or even go to Mars and back. It is however, important to buy a car that has been looked after by the previous owners; neglect with any up-market car is fatal.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,100 Likes on 773 Posts

Doesn't $16.5K for such an example of an automobile deserve and substantiate the need for appropriate maintenance? After all you could by a ________ (fill in the blanks) for $30K ;-)
FWIW, I am Very happy with my 04 XJR. However, the moment there is a maintenance issue, I get it looked after. I would say that the car spends 1 week / year in for service.
Bushings, Brembo brakes, transmission fluid changes, engine oil changes, tires!... to name a few are necessary expensive regular maintenance requirements.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Some things to check and look out for, based on my experience:

Vehicle undertray (if it's cracked, replacements are $500)
HID bulbs-if they flicker, they need replacement; they will auto level, don't be alarmed at that. Not a big deal.
Rear back up sensors-they should work automatically ever time you put it in reverse. Test it. If they don't work, insist they are completely fixed and warranteed. I've chase my tail on this issue a lot.
Fuel filler-if the tank level reads funny or the car won't take gas easily, this is a TSB issue. Not a big deal-I ignored it and not had a problem ever or even a symptom in a year.
Windshield wipers-if they stop in the middle of the windshield, your motor stops are bad and you need a new windshield motor-this is an expensive repair and a real pain. Wipers won't stop working, just makes you look silly :-)
Steering wheel squeak-another little TSB issue. Not a big deal.
Air shocks-ask if they are original, check out the car on level ground while it's running in park-it should be level. New air shocks are very expensive.
Coolant hoses and reservoirs-the XJR has two radiators, one for the engine, one for the intercooler; the numerous corresponding hoses occasionally crack or need replacement, as well as the level tank. Not too expensive, just a pain in the butt-keep an eye out for leaks under the car, and if you ever get the 'coolant level low', pull over and turn off the car.

Like an S class or any competitor, these have lots of toys that can break, but the engine and transmissions seem to be very solid, and they are great, fun, special cars. Don't be afraid of taking them to normal competent mechanics.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

i have two jags now owing a total of 4 in my time. on a 2005 super v8 which has the same engine as the xjr your looking at. as far as the motor you shouldn't have to worry too much, they are seemingly bullet proof in that arena. jags are sensor happy, they are sensitive in that arena most of your problems if any will be this and easily fixed. of course the air suspension (if equipped) as Guy mentioned have it checked out before purchasing especially the air suspension. it is a very costly repair in every aspect. also the HID lights (if equipped) they are sensitive also but only so many things go wrong with these. its usually a ballast, automatic day/night or height sensor, but can be expensive if the head light assembly goes out which is a rare occasion. scroll through the forum you will see the frequent problems owners have, that can be a deciding factor. other than these problems that i mentioned often occur. I've owned a mercedes s class, a bmw 5 series and 4 jags if you get a properly well maintained jag like i have, you will be a returning buyer. theres a certain cozy comfort that the jags have that no other cars do, with plenty of power to boot when needed. hope this helps.

Last edited by josh_77073; 06-14-2012 at 11:45 PM.