XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Exclamation Power steering leak

Ok guys so I have a small power steering leak that has me filling power steering fluid every 3-4 days. I have looked underneath and noticed a leak coming from the general area of where the power steering pump is, particularly a hose that connects to the reservoir that is visible from underneath the car. has anyone had this issue and if so how did you resolve it? Furthermore, whats the easiest way i would gain access to the area to confirm where the leak is coming from and what lines i would need to replace? thanks guys!

Old 09-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Had similar issue with my 04 xjr. The power steering return hose started to leak. It is an L shaped hose that was cracking at the Elbow. A direct replacement hose would have cost 60-80 bucks if I remember correctly, not the route for me. I went to the local autoparts store and got a universal power steering return hose for about 6 bucks. It didn't have the 90 degree elbow in it so I ran a slightly longer hose as to not have a link but an arch. That was about 6 months ago and no problems since. Make sure to retain the heat shield from the old hose. It didn't take long to replace.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:14 PM

AWESOME! I will try that because it looks like it is coming from that hose. What size hose did you buy?

Old 09-27-2014, 09:36 AM

So I took the hose out that black kat was referring to, but unfortunately it seems that the hose isn't the problem. It seems that the leak is coming from the pump itself, maybe from behind the pulley? Anyone have this issue before? It seems like I will need to replace the entire pump, has anyone done this and can point me in the right direction? Thanks guys! I'm at a bottle a day of fluid!

Old 09-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Well we found out over on the S Type forum that the 4.2L V-8 SC and NA use the same pump but the best news is so does the Lincoln LS 3.9L V-8!!

This is great because you can get the Lincoln pump most anywhere and it's pretty cheap. Well under $100 for me but you will need to check your local prices.

Now what I don't know is the XJ8 the same? I think it is and without the SC motor you can get the pump off without too much hassle. Then take it to the parts store to compare to the Lincoln one.

Mine was from O'Reilly's and it's A1 brand #21-5353 $85 with a $25 core. Mine did come with a bent pulley so I swapped my original one over. I normally would have taken the new pump back and swapped it out but it was Sunday afternoon and my STR is my daily driver. Both old and new pumps even had the same numbers cast into the pump body!

I have run it about 13K miles without any problems.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:43 PM

I beleive the XJ uses the same pump. I would double check since I'm basing off memory.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:47 PM
The following 2 users liked this post by BlackKat:
etaent (09-29-2014), knacklz (06-09-2021)
Old 09-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by etaent
So I took the hose out that black kat was referring to, but unfortunately it seems that the hose isn't the problem. It seems that the leak is coming from the pump itself, maybe from behind the pulley? Anyone have this issue before? It seems like I will need to replace the entire pump, has anyone done this and can point me in the right direction? Thanks guys! I'm at a bottle a day of fluid!
Yes, had the same ps pump leak on my super v8. Multiple clamps on the hose, to no avail. Purchased a replacement from rock auto. Flawless since-going on 2 years 20k miles.

Thanks
-mag

Old 09-29-2014, 12:12 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys! I am going to get the pump from parts geek for 66 bucks! Can't believe it's so cheap! But now to the elephant in the room, how do I get the old one out and the new one in? Can anyone share your experience and any tips or advice? It seems like a daunting task to do but I'm always up for a challenge!

Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Well I have a STR and the SC motor is a bitch to work on!!!

I found that removing both nuts on the motor mounts (They point straight down and are easy to get to) and then use a piece of wood on the oil pan you can jack up the engine a surprising amount. This is my best tip.

I had a hard time with the hose clamp on the large diameter return hose so be sure you have a pair of cable type pliers. You really need a set anyway if you are doing any hose changes on a Jag. Just no room to work!

The P/S mounting bolts go into Aluminum so don't cross thread anything! It's easy to do is those close quarters too. After removing the pump I chased all the mounting holes and then used anti-seize. Watch how the bolts come out because it's a real time saver to leave them in the pump because you have no room to completely remove them.

The following users liked this post:
etaent (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the tip! I have a pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers so i should be ok with the hoses. I didnt see the mount bolts when i was under the car but i will check it out this weekend when i attack the job! Which mount bolts are you referring to? Left side? Right side? Rear? Front? Thanks again!

Old 10-01-2014, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member

The two motor mounts have a stud sticking straight down. Look around the steering rack and you will see two round tubes. Up inside that is the stud and nut.

etaent (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 12:21 PM

Thanks Club! Also, how do i release the tension on the serpentine belt?

Old 10-12-2014, 11:00 PM

Ok so I attempted the pump change today and got as far as getting the two engine mounts disconnected, the air box assembly out of the way, and the serpentine belt removed. But I could only get two out of 4 bolts removed. Further more, the bolt visible from the top on the pump and on the side of the pump closest to the firewall, has somewhat stripped when trying to take it out with a 10mm wrench. I have a 10mm socket thAt fits over the bolt perfectly but I can't get the engine high enough to get the ratchet in there. Any suggestions on rAising it more? Also, I can't seem to get to the bolt on the lower side and closest to the pulley. Any suggestions? Thanks guys, I'm driving with no power steering now

Old 10-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

I had to use various extensions and knuckle joints. But you should be able to use a gear type wrench.

The engine will only go so high. Have you reached the limit? I started lifting the car when the transmission contacted the drive tunnel.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 AM

Ok so UPDATE!!! I was able to get the engine higher and gain access to that stubborn bolt that wouldnt come out. I was also able to gain access to the lower bolt by taking out the ac compressor. Now my issue is the coupling that goes into the pump. It seems that i may have cross threaded it a bit and it is still leaking. I am going to attempt to repair it this week by lowering the engine when i attempt to screw it in rather than keeping the engine lifted.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:56 AM

Update:Through much determination, I was able to finally install the pump, line, and reservoir and have power steering once again! Since I have not seen a detailed write up of how to go about changing it, I felt I should take it upon myself to do so (thanks to clubairth1). Here goes:

Power Steering Pump Removal (Non supercharged 2004 XJ8 North American LHD)

1-Jack up the front of the vehicle or drive it up two rhino ramps as i did

2-remove the air filter box, connector hose, and engine cover.

3-Remove the power steering reservoir with an 8mm wrench and drain fluid into appropriate container by removing the large diameter line that goes to the pump itself from the reservoir. It is held on with a hose clamp

4-Use a serpentine belt tool with a 3/8'' drive end and remove the serpentine belt from the pump and compressor

5-Get under the car and towards the rear of the engine, there are two engine mount bolts that need to be loosened. They are 15mm bolts so use a ratchet, extension, and a long socket and remove the drivers side bolt. Loosen the passenger side bolt until the end of the screw but dont remove it

6-Jack up the drivers side of the engine under the oil pan with a jack and a good strong piece of wood to prevent damage to the oil pan

7-the engine will lift a great deal giving access to the power steering pump. Use a 10mm wrench to undo the top two bolts on the pump

8-Get a 16mm wrench and remove the pressure line attached to the power steering pump. This coupling is easy to take out, but not so easy to put into your new pump.

9-Now get under the car and from the drivers side wheel, turn the wheel or remove it to give you access to the third power steering pump bolt on the right side. It will be right above the ac compressor and is the only bolt accessible at this point. The final bolt is inaccessible until you slightly remove the ac compressor.

10-Now remove the ac compressor bolts that are visible, also 10mm bolts. One is towards the bottom of the power steering pump, the other is towards the bottom of the compressor. Both of these bolts are towards the front of the compressor by the pulley. The last bolt is not visible unless you get under the car. It is towards the top rear of the compressor. This bolt does not need to be completely removed, just loosened enough.

11-Separate the ac compressor and get the long extension you used before and a short 10mm socket to get the last power steering pump bolt out and remove the pump

12-Installation is the reverse, however if you have trouble like i did putting the pressurized hydraulic line into the new pump, then a little trick i learned was removing the line from where it attaches to the rack and pinion under the car. Its an easy removal, its a torque 40 screw. by doing this, it will give you enough slack to pull the line up and attach it more easily to the pump before you mount the pump back to the motor.

13-now after everything is mounted back up, fill the reservoir, i used mobil 1 synthetic atf fluid. Once filled, turn the car on and turn the wheel fully to each side so the pump can circulate the fluid and you can top it off with more fluid. now sit back and enjoy trouble free power steering!

Last edited by etaent; 10-16-2014 at 10:50 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by etaent:
knacklz (06-09-2021), Mark in Maine (09-30-2015), swanky (12-08-2014), XJPurr (02-09-2018)
Old 10-18-2014, 10:17 AM

We'll done, persistance pays!

Old 10-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Good job! I tried to hit the big things because everyone's skill level is different.

How did you fix the leaking line? It's an O-ring seal so you might have to replace that.

I did find it easier to attach the O-ringed pressure hose to the pump before it was bolted to the block. Then I could twist the pump enough to see and align the hose fitting and the pump body. Very hard to stab and start the fitting when it's bolted down.

Also leaving all the bolts in the PS pump and taking everything out together was the best. Do the same going back in. As you know room is at a premium and I don't like to take off more stuff than I have too!

Old 10-20-2014, 11:26 AM

The leaky line was cross threaded into the pump, so by pulling it completely out, i was able to thread it correctly and get it working! And yes, room is at a premium!

grandhaze (11-21-2014)

Quick Reply: Power steering leak