XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Premium Sound System - Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Premium Sound System - Replacement

I know there are hundreds of threads with this title but please hear me out on this one.

I love the X350, I had a UK RHD 2003 XJ6 3.0 Sport with all the toys, full touch screen NAV etc and adaptive cruise control and 40 mpg, I added the Jaguar Audio module and thus could use my iPhone etc. I was hooked, moved on the the XF 3.0 and it left me a bit cold.

Recently moved to Florida so when looking for a second hand car I was pleased to find a lovely low mileage LHD 2004 X350 XJ8 4.2 (would never consider it in the UK but with gas a $1.84 per GALLON why not?)

I was careful to not to get the touch screen version because although I liked it, the upgrade options are just not there. I thought I had a winner, beautiful car with a sound system I could bring into the 21st century.

I looked at all the wiring diagrams for the 2003 premium system and bought all the bits I needed but..... my car does not match the diagrams and I cannot find a wiring diagram that matches.

I have scoured this and other forums (sorry there are other forums) but cannot find a resolution.

Here is my problem....

I have a Premium system.... Subs on the back shelf, and no screen up front, I do however have a DSP button (which is where I think I went wrong) because upon removing the head unit there are only 10 wires connected to the 22pin connector, the wires for the speakers are not there. a peek in the boot and sure enough hidden behind the panelling, an AMP (my X350 had this in the stack by the NAV and CDC so I did not think to look behind the panel.)

So despite the Fibre connection in the centre console being marked CD CHANGER, it is clearly a loop to the CDC and AMP.

So not being a boy racer and needing 30,000 watts of power what are my options for getting bluetooth phone and a bit of music to work?

I have an aftermarket head unit (DVD BT etc) that will deliver 4x85W and an X Type surround from Metra which all looks nice fitted, I know (think I know) what the cables in the multi block do but the only speaker cables I guess are in the boot.

I am assuming that I can just run speaker cables into the boot from the the head unit and connect to the speakers but locating which is which is going to be trial and error as I simply cannot find a wiring diagram for this setup.

Can I just wire up the tweeters etc in parallel?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-23-2016, 05:25 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

You should wire in a four channel amp and just run rcas to the amp in the boot. The speaker wires are all there if you are equipped with a factory amplifier.

As for finding the speaker leads. Use a 9 volt battery to pop and find the speakers.

With a Volt meter put it on ohms and make sure the wires you probe are speaker lines
if you get 2-8 ohms they should be speakers. Usually the speaker lines are twisted pairs. As for polarity you can shine a light thru the speaker grille on the door and pop the speaker with the 9 volt battery and if it pushes out its positive if it sucks in its negative.

If you dont want to install an amp then run four speaker lines up front. You will only have enough power for the four channels ie door speakers with deck power

The tweeters are already capped from the factory so you cant blow them

Old 01-23-2016, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI Evan

Thanks for the reply.

I may try the direct wire and see if that does it for me, if not I will add an amp and run RCA's as suggested.

Thanks

Old 01-24-2016, 12:31 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by smartbuddy
HI Evan

Thanks for the reply.

I may try the direct wire and see if that does it for me, if not I will add an amp and run RCA's as suggested.

Thanks
No problem! Also if your after market radio allows it you can retain all steering wheel controls with your new radio. I can guide you through that as well