XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Problem with driver's door opening from inside the car

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem with driver's door opening from inside the car

I have a problem with the driver's door.
After starting the car, I can open or close the door locks through the door handle. However, once the car is in gear and the door is locked, I cannot open the door through the door handle, but I can open the door through the remote control and the buttons on the center panel.
Can someone tell me which direction should I go to solve this problem?
Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-20-2024, 01:25 PM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by wewin
I have a problem with the driver's door.
After starting the car, I can open or close the door locks through the door handle. However, once the car is in gear and the door is locked, I cannot open the door through the door handle, but I can open the door through the remote control and the buttons on the center panel.
Can someone tell me which direction should I go to solve this problem?
Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Do you have a sunroof?

Last edited by Thermite; 04-20-2024 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 01:27 PM

yes . i have

Old 04-20-2024, 01:40 PM

yes . i have
More awkward than lowering the driver's side window to bail out of, but it can serve in a pinch.

The vehicle thinks it is doing you a service to lock all the doors when you put it in gear - rather than awaiting a certain speed.

Above my pay-grade, but that may even be a "choice" in the Car Configuration File?

EX: US market, remote can command all windows full-DOWN at a go, but is optioned to NOT allow remoting of all UP at a go. Guillotine-effect liability-avoidance thing.

Other jurisdictions all four CAN be fully raised on command.

Putting it back into "Park" before trying to open the door isn't a BAD move, is it?

Then, too that one door gets far more use than any other, so you may just have a worn or damaged over-ride mechanism, handle and adjacent 'rocker' - next to its pivot-point.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-20-2024 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 01:50 PM

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear.
I locked the door after I put it into gear, but once it was locked and the car was put into park, I couldn't open the door from the driver's door handle, but other doors could be opened through the handle.

Old 04-20-2024, 02:03 PM

I locked the door after I put it into gear, but once it was locked and the car was put into park, I couldn't open the door from the driver's door handle, but other doors could be opened through the handle.
Ah, so.. Sticky or worn or damaged, then.

Google will find you several threads in this forum going back many years as to what's involved in correcting it.
There are also at least two you tube videos.

Handle mechanisms, "pre-owned" are showing on eBay for a bit either side of $50 USD this hour.

My medical coverage isn't good enough to cover the reaction off asking for dealer prices, new, if even they can still get new ones at all. Jagbits list both new and used:

https://www.jagbits.com/category/XJ8...anical_20.html

They have competition.

You don't want to mess with the driver's door electronics portion on an X350 if you can avoid that.
No other door has the security "brains" nor even provision for a physical key.

Having a window down (and sunroof open) before you start could be wise, not a joke!

Last edited by Thermite; 04-20-2024 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 04:31 PM
Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

There is a microswitch in the driver's door lock that is prone to fail, there are lot's of threads in the forum about this. The lock modules of the other doors can fail ,as well, but the driver's door lock module is different in having minimum one microswitch more than the others and off course is the one prone to fail earlier as it gets used more.

When you have this issue, do not double lock the car anymore until the problem is solved, meaning the door lock has been replaced or repaired.

I had the same on my car, at the beginning it was only sporadic that unlocking only worked via the dash button, and with time it became more frequent, until one day nothing worked anymore and I had to exit and enter the car from the passenger side (not funny because of the front armrest).
The car was double locked, and I feared the worst... if you read the threads about people who had to remove the door card with the door closed, you will understand why.

Fortunately for me, I was able to unlock the car a final time with the key from outside and thus was able to open the door. I did not repair the lock (it seems that the microswitch can be replaced), but I just replaced it with a new one.
The part is pretty expensive (around 400 EUR here in Germany), but used ones are, too, and the price difference was not enough for me to risk an new failure with a used one.

The replacement of the door lock (or actuator, as it is also called) is pretty simple.

I found again these two threads relating to the matter, but there are more.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...repair-132821/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-issue-238210/

Best regards,

Thomas

The following 2 users liked this post by Thomas-S.:
Thermite (04-20-2024), XJ8Germany (04-21-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Thomas-S.
There is a microswitch in the driver's door lock that is prone to fail, there are lot's of threads in the forum about this. The lock modules of the other doors can fail ,as well, but the driver's door lock module is different in having minimum one microswitch more than the others and off course is the one prone to fail earlier as it gets used more.

When you have this issue, do not double lock the car anymore until the problem is solved, meaning the door lock has been replaced or repaired.

I had the same on my car, at the beginning it was only sporadic that unlocking only worked via the dash button, and with time it became more frequent, until one day nothing worked anymore and I had to exit and enter the car from the passenger side (not funny because of the front armrest).
The car was double locked, and I feared the worst... if you read the threads about people who had to remove the door card with the door closed, you will understand why.

Fortunately for me, I was able to unlock the car a final time with the key from outside and thus was able to open the door. I did not repair the lock (it seems that the microswitch can be replaced), but I just replaced it with a new one.
The part is pretty expensive (around 400 EUR here in Germany), but used ones are, too, and the price difference was not enough for me to risk an new failure with a used one.

The replacement of the door lock (or actuator, as it is also called) is pretty simple.

I found again these two threads relating to the matter, but there are more.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...repair-132821/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-issue-238210/

Best regards,

Thomas
Thomas,thank you!

The following users liked this post:
Thermite (04-20-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

"I locked the door after I put it into gear"

How did you do that and why did you do it?
Your car has drive away locking as soon as you move

Old 04-21-2024, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by meirion1

Maybe Zombies were chasing his ****?

Alleged shortest horror mystery story written:

"The last man on Earth sat in a locked room."

Ever-frugal Oz topped it with but 3 characters :

"P76"

If British Leyland has been missed? Blame faulty ammunition..

Last edited by Thermite; 04-21-2024 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:31 AM
Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by meirion1

My X350 also locks the doors as soon as I put it into gear, and not only when it starts moving. If I take it out of my garage space, which is a corner space with the wall on the passenger side, I always have to unlock the car when I stop again for passengers to get in. As far as I know, that's the standard for Jaguar if you have that option enabled.

My Audi A4 only locks the doors from a speed of 20 Km/h upwards.

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 04-22-2024, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Thomas-S.
My X350 also locks the doors as soon as I put it into gear, and not only when it starts moving. If I take it out of my garage space, which is a corner space with the wall on the passenger side, I always have to unlock the car when I stop again for passengers to get in. As far as I know, that's the standard for Jaguar if you have that option enabled.

My Audi A4 only locks the doors from a speed of 20 Km/h upwards.

Best regards,

Thomas
US & Japanese for US market are generally at 5 to 9 MPH AKA 15 km/H or under.

Our skin is thinner than Germans, even though we bounce better off the extra padding.

Perfidious Albion's extra caution is to keep the hooligans out, and the cash-cows IN.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-22-2024 at 06:45 AM.