XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

problem with Mongoose Pro driver install

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015 | 05:39 PM
|
Default problem with Mongoose Pro driver install

I installed XP Pro on my old Sony Laptop and was able to install SDD V125 files and it runs, but when I try to install the Mongoose Pro drivers it pops a window that says "installation directory must be on a local hard drive". I have tried letting it use the default directory on C drive, changing to another existing directory on C drive, and even creating the default directory path on C drive before running the driver install, and I get the same window and it won't continue.

I've tried the driver install using a downloaded driver file on C drive, using a driver file on a thumb drive, and using the driver file on the DVD that came with the Mongoose. These are 32 bit driver files and all are the same size so I assume they are the same file;

"J2534_MongoosePro_JLR_x86.msi" (Downloaded from Mongoose Pro web site)

and

"drivers for MongoosePro_JLR.msi" (on the DVD that came with the Mongoose Pro Chinese clone)

Any ideas why the install program doesn't see C drive as a local hard drive? It is the only hard drive in the Sony and, except for trying to run the install using a file on the thumb drive, the only hard drive on the system.

Old 11-18-2015 | 06:19 PM

Please see this video on you tube.

Seems like you may need to open an administrator command prompt along with msiexec /I and the path to the executable.

Hope that helps
-mag

Old 11-18-2015 | 06:22 PM

Or, preferring plain text over video, please see:

http://ephams.com/2013/03/10/msi-ins...al-hard-drive/

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Mag

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015 | 11:12 AM
|

Originally Posted by magmedia
Or, preferring plain text over video, please see:

MSI Installer Error: ?Installation Directory must be on a local hard drive? | ePhams

Hope that helps. Thanks Mag
Thanks for the links. I tried the text version first and then again several times using the video, but I am not getting the same results in XP Pro as he is in the OS he is using.

EG: I do not get the "Copy as Path" by shift/right clicking the msi file nor the choice of "run as administrator" by right clicking the command prompt. I do get a "run as..." choice and I can choose to change users to run as administrator in the window that comes up. I tried that by entering the password I set up for the administrator account when XP Pro was installing, even though my user account has administrator privileges, but the cmd window that comes up does not say administrator at the top, and entering the msiexec /i and the path to the driver file (with or without the quotation marks) runs the driver installation program but ends with the same "installation directory must be on a local hard drive" pop up window.

I was able to clear the temp files with the instructions but when I tried following the directions from the all programs/accessories/CMD menu and from a CMD icon I copied to the desktop as both administrator and as my user account with administrative priviliges and I still get the error message each time.

I'll do a net search in case there is a proceedure especially for XP Pro. I had no problem with the 64 bit driver install on my Win7 Toshiba, but still no joy on the 32bit drivers on the Sony.

Old 11-20-2015 | 08:35 AM

Install XP Pro to SP3 and try it again. Here are the links to the stand alone installers.

SP3 here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=24

SP2 Here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=28

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015 | 10:53 AM
|

Originally Posted by trosty
Install XP Pro to SP3 and try it again. Here are the links to the stand alone installers.

SP3 here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=24

SP2 Here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=28

Thanks, trosty, I'll give these a shot.

UPDATE: I installed SP2 and then tried the driver install again without the special commands, I just right clicked the msi file and chose install, and it ran through just fine keeping the default install directory. Woo Hoo! Now if I can just get XP Pro activated, I may be in business.

Last edited by philwarner; 11-20-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2015 | 05:55 PM
|

UPDATE: I installed SP2 and then tried the driver install again without the special commands, I just right clicked the msi file and chose install, and it ran through just fine keeping the default install directory. Woo Hoo! Now if I can just get XP Pro activated, I may be in business.

Old 11-20-2015 | 08:35 PM

Good work. Way to stick with it...

-mag

Old 11-20-2015 | 08:58 PM
|

Originally Posted by magmedia
Good work. Way to stick with it...

-mag
Thanks for the encouragement.

Unfortunately after installing SP2 the JLR-IDS program would not run as before - it just opened an empty IE window that showed an error at the bottom. I installed SP3 and am now in the process of uninstalling V125 to start over installing it in SP3. (fingers crossed that this works)

incidently when I installed SP2 and SP3 it reverted to 30 days to activate XP, but apparently hosed the JLR-IDS install. I am contemplating installing V130 instead of V125, but don't know if it has any advantages over V125.

Old 11-21-2015 | 11:28 AM
|

Update: After uninstalling and re-installing V125 files and running the JLR-IDS from the desktop icon, I got the same blank IE window; Darn. But then I discovered that it was set to "work offline" and unchecking that let JLR-IDS go ahead and and tell me it couldn't connect and let me re-enter the user and password, but when it came time to connect the Mongoose it said the wrong device was connected. I uninstalled and re-installed the Mongoose drivers, and then connected the Mongoose and let it find the "new hardware" and automatically install the drivers again, and starting JLR-IDS again with the mongoose already connected it seemed to run again. I was able to enter my VIN and it knew what the car was and gave a number of choices. So far, so good, but momma is taking the SV8 to some church function today so I will have to wait to see how it works when connected to the OBDII. I did connect an OBDII splitter I had in the LR so I can connect the Mongoose easier and keep the Ultragage connected too.

On the positive side, this is the first time the temp has dropped below 30F and the suspension gave no faults when I started the engine to make sure the splitter and UG were connected correctly.

Attached Thumbnails problem with Mongoose Pro driver install-jlr-ids-error-page.jpg   problem with Mongoose Pro driver install-jlr-ids-incorrect-device.jpg   problem with Mongoose Pro driver install-jlr-ids-start-up-9.jpg  
Old 11-22-2015 | 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

I'd be worried about that splitter especially on the ISO 9141 line(s).

Old 11-22-2015 | 11:51 AM
|

Originally Posted by JagV8
I'd be worried about that splitter especially on the ISO 9141 line(s).
I'll try it later today; momma has the car again this morning.

Last evening I was all ready to experiment and took the Sony to the car after it said it had over four hours of battery power, but the IDS did not seem to react. Since IDS had been up for most of the morning while the Sony was plugged in, I shut it down, restarted the Sony, and ran it again, but just about the time it was all the way up the Sony battery crapped out and it shut down again. Looks like I'll have to keep it plugged into 120V and try again.

If it is squirrely on the splitter I will try plugging it directly. That plug is a bear to reach under there, hence the splitter to make it easier. I think I bought an OBDII extension too if I can find it, but I think it had a 90 degree end that pointed the wrong direction for the Land Rover's OBDII plug.