Problems After Front Air Spring/Damper Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Pod
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problems After Front Air Spring/Damper Replacement

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi JackieO,

To answer one of your questions, a standard OBDII scanner can read the P-prefix (Powertrain) codes, but it cannot read the proprietary Jaguar codes associated with with the air suspension, which are C-prefix (Chassis), B-prefix (Body), or U (Undefined, mostly network-related) codes. Knowing the codes that are stored would probably help speed the diagnosis.

If only one of your rear air springs was high I would first suspect the ride height sensor for that corner. But if both rear air springs are too high, it is unlikely both ride height sensors are malfunctioning. One possibility is a problem in the valve body, which apportions pressure to each rear air spring independently, and to the front air springs either independently (early cars with four ride height sensors) or together (most X350s with only one front ride height sensor).

The ride height can be adjusted at all four corners using a dealer-level diagnostic system such as IDS or SDD, but the trouble codes may help explain the cause of the problem.

Cheers,

Don
Hi Don,
Firstly let me say personally your wealth of knowledge and obvious generosity to help people like myself is magnanimously appreciated ... I have put a new front shock in my XJ8 2005 and the problems are a few.. 1)First the compressor failed to kick in.. 2) Plugged in the SSD and got it working firat time.. Deflate and inflate shocks.. But front won't go back down?? Help! 3) Then tomorrow I will go back to the garage and try and recalibrate all 4 corner heights.. Please can you suggest some tips to get this sorted so after a month I can drive home on the motorway to my house 400km away in Swaziland . Thanks

Old 04-25-2018, 01:04 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Pod
Hi Don,
Firstly let me say personally your wealth of knowledge and obvious generosity to help people like myself is magnanimously appreciated ... I have put a new front shock in my XJ8 2005 and the problems are a few.. 1)First the compressor failed to kick in.. 2) Plugged in the SSD and got it working firat time.. Deflate and inflate shocks.. But front won't go back down?? Help! 3) Then tomorrow I will go back to the garage and try and recalibrate all 4 corner heights.. Please can you suggest some tips to get this sorted so after a month I can drive home on the motorway to my house 400km away in Swaziland . Thanks
Pod, please open a new thread with your specific issue.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:23 PM
Received 13,203 Likes on 6,552 Posts

Hi Pod,

Thank you for your kind words! As abonano suggested, I have moved your post to start your own thread.

Given your symptoms, there are a few things you can try. First, if it was the front left air spring/damper you replaced, check the ride height sensor at that corner to be sure the electrical connector wasn't disturbed or the poke yoke arm was not bent.

When the air compressor will not run, often, clearing all the air-suspension-related diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) will allow it to run again. Some codes apparently disable the compressor.

I don't know why your front end won't go back down, but I would expect the problem to be resolved by running the ride height calibration procedure. The correct ride height range is given in this post:

Air Suspension & ECATS System Summary: Components & Operation

Please keep us informed!

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-25-2018, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 637 Posts

If the previous advice does not work you can try this:

Depressurise complete system by breaking pipe connectors at ballast tank in boot

and top of struts if necessary.

Disconnect battery and touch battery leads together for a couple of minutes.

Remake pipe connections and run engine and if nesessary drive vehicle for up to

20 mins.