XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Are programmable features dependant on the SDD version?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 06:36 PM
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Are programmable features dependant on the SDD version?

So I finally connected to my car using the SDD+PSU+Mongoose combo, only to find out that I can't find either of the two programmable options I was interested in.
those were:
- Driver's mirror dip in reverse enable,
- Global close... well, this one I am confused about (see my other post)

...I got the names of the programmable features from this motorcarman's post:
Originally Posted by motorcarman
There is a list of convenience options that can be configured. Driver's mirror 'dip-in-reverse' CAN be enabled but it is NOT the default setting.
There are also Security/Locking, Safety and other features that are 'programmable'.

When I worked at the dealer I would try to get the customer that purchased the NEW CAR into the shop to get the features configured during PDI.
It is easier to get things all done at once instead of several trips to the dealer. Many people have different preferences. Some HATE the 'dip-in-reverse' and some want BOTH mirrors. Some HATE 'drive-away-locking' etc.

Find someone with PDU, WDS, IDS, SDD etc. to perform the configuration.

Here is a table from which to choose the options.
So my two questions would be:

1) Is the set of the programmable features ("Service functions") in the "Recommendations" dependent on the version of the SDD? (Mine is 130.03)

2) Why is the list of available features named "Recommendations"? Does that mean there are more programmable features available, like in a secret list named "All"?

Last edited by Jaroslav Záruba; 07-10-2024 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2024, 01:19 PM

Tried 160.4, still haven't seen the 2 options listed

Old 07-13-2024, 02:29 AM
Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

I don't know whether these features are related to SDD version, but I believe that (at least for me) the older versions are more intuitive and user friendly to use than newer ones.

So, I have a V130 that I almost do never use, and a V125 that is my preferred choice when working on the car. I have invested into a genuine VCM after having problems with the mongoose clone that came with the V130, and since then I everything works fine.

I cannot recall to have seen two different lists of features to be activated, only one.

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 07-13-2024, 03:50 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I use V130 with XP with a china mongoose-clone. It works quite nice, although pretty slow.
I enabled mirror dip with SDD.
SDD is somewhat strange, as I'm also missing a complete list. One way is to enter some symtoms close to the location you want to change something. Usually this makes the required menu entries appear.

Old 07-13-2024, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by nebelfuerst
I enabled mirror dip with SDD.
👀 Would you recall how did you trick SDD into revealing that option? And whether it popped in the Extras tab (which tab I am yet to see with my own eyes), or did it show up in the Recommendations?

Originally Posted by nebelfuerst
SDD is somewhat strange, as I'm also missing a complete list. One way is to enter some symtoms close to the location you want to change something. Usually this makes the required menu entries appear.
This is me trying the symptoms way yesterday:
(no result)

Old 07-13-2024, 06:27 AM

I seem to remember that in V130, going via the symptoms does not help you in releasing blocked functions. Have you tried via the "service functions"?

V125 is, in my opninion, easier to use and suited better for the car.

Best regards,

Thomas

Last edited by Thomas-S.; 07-13-2024 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Typos
The following users liked this post:
Jaroslav Záruba (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 07:15 AM

Service Functions was what I inspected first.

Also I am pretty sure I re-visited the page after I clicked through the Diagnosis thing, the desired items did not show up still.
(In this demonstration it seems like the author does expect to actually find new items in the Recommendations list after running the Diagnosis.)

I never clicked the Key icon on the left to enter the Engineering mode though... And no one even brought that up in those last couple of days of me spamming the forums. (It was demonstrated in a guide linked by @ctsemicon here.)
I am wondering if that's because the Engineering mode is not needed, or if it is considered something everyone knows to do as the very first thing?

As for SDD, I can't recall last time I was this confused about how an app is supposed to work. 😂

Old Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Heeheehee...Now you see why I can't remember the specific steps to get to Configuration page; every time I fire up SDD it seems like it takes me 10 dead ends, then suddenly "boop" up comes configuration screen and then its just a "enable/disable", followed by the incredibly unnerving process that is required to download to car and save (the ignition on, off, position 2, lights blink, rotation of Earth briefly changes direction, global warming is momentarily reversed).

After 4 late model Jags (XJ8, XK, XKR, F-type) Not Once was it either simple or easy, but it did work, I never fried a module, so don't give up.

Seriously, I do remember that "clear all codes" is performed when done. And I always use my charger in "power supply" mode to maintain voltage.

Jaroslav Záruba (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM

I hope I don't actually need the Engineering mode, last night I found out that the python password script does not work. (Tested in SDD without a car.)
Edit: I just realized I was running the password-guessing python script on a machine with different date/time from one the password would be used on.
Edit (2): Just tested with "proper" time, still, the SDD (without a car) doesn't recognize the password - the app says nothing, i.e. no error in response to the password but also won't show the orange bar.

As for power supply, I am using this thing (tuned to 13.8V)

HP DPS-600PB B

Last edited by Jaroslav Záruba; Yesterday at 08:13 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM

How many amps does the thing give? When hooking up with SDD, the car needs a power supply able to deliver a minimum of 25Amps continous stabilzed pover, ans some say that a capability of 40 to 50 Amps would be better.

I have seen the car going up to 25 Amps myself when using SDD.

Best regards,

Thomas

Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Thomas-S.
How many amps does the thing give?
at 13.6V it was 42A, allegedly

Thomas-S. (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM
Thumbs up success!

In the end I executed the already mentioned "Complete car - Dealer options" routine, which took me here:

The reprogramming itself then took under 1 minute, and only asked once to switch the ignition off and then on.
I have tested both these tweaks right away, and both work as expected. 👍🏻
(No Engineering mode needed, no selecting symptoms in Diagnosis needed.)

zenderman (Today)
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Well Done ! .

Jaroslav Záruba (Yesterday)