XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Prospective new owner 2008 or 09 VDP

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 05:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Prospective new owner 2008 or 09 VDP

Hello everyone! I was directed to this site by a wholesale dealer in Arizona, Lux4less, Jaguar Jack. Has anyone had any experience with him? And what are your thoughts on buying wholesale vs certified from a dealer. I know the cost difference is about $3,000 to $7,000 but you do get a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper from the dealer. Anyway, the luxury for less people seem very helpful and honest.
I'm also very interested in your comments and experience with the 2008 or 2009 XJ VDP model in terms of common issues and problems I should know about. Back brakes is one apparently. Is this vehicle worth the investment? I drove a certified used 1998 Benz 350 some years ago that I bought from the dealer that was a piece of junk. First time I ever bought a used car.Thankfully, the extended warrenty covered everything. I don't want to go through that again.
I think the lines and look of the Jag are superb. Very classic and like no other (although I'm not sure I like the 2011 version)

I'm looking forward to your comments and I'm happy to be aboard. P.S I'm just learning how to naviagate on the site!

Old 04-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Go for it! You will love it! Every car can have its issues and the Jaguars are no exception. It will probably serve you much better than a BMW or a Mercedes. I have friends with both and they are always in the shop. I am usually taking them to the shop to pick up their cars in my Jaguar.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Here in the UK it doesnt matter whether you buy from a Jag dealer or anywhere else.As long as the servicing has been done by a VAT (value added tax) registered garage (think it means it has to have a turn over of at least around £31000/yr to be VAT registered) and OE parts used then the warranty must be honoured here by UK law.
My car was bought at 2.5 yrs old and needed a service at 102000 miles.
Had it done at an independant garage who provided an itemised receipt showing all Jaguar parts were used.
The warranty here is 3 years bumper to bumper and 6 years on paint
Since then had a PDC sensor,diesel injector,paint bubble,DPF mounts,DPF cleaned out,clock bulbs,battery,headlights auto levelling reconfigured, and diff seal replaced (and also driveshaft due to modified diff seal) all replaced under warranty.
From what you are saying it sounds as though you wont get the Jaguar warranty if you dont buy from a Jagaur dealer which if so is outrageous if the servicing has been done on time using Jag parts.
PS Would definately buy another...magic carpet like ride,space in the LWB,entertainment for kids in the back (std on LWB),heated reclining rear seats....fantastic car to be featured in June issue of Jaguar Enthusiasts Club magazine in comparison to my ex X type and hopefully by then will be remapped to add an extra 100Nm torque and 64 Bhp
Buy one!

Old 04-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I'd go for the new one, but the old one is cool too. My car has been as bullet proof as any competing car I can think of. I'd go for the Super V8 over the VDP.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased my 2008 VDP several months ago from a non-Jaguar dealership in Dallas for a good price with factory warranty remaining. No problems so far. Very satisfied. This is my third Jaguar. No other luxury car in the VDP price point (in my experience) gives as much overall satisfaction driving and admiring it. Make sure you ask a local Jag dealer to check the prospective used car service history (you'll need the VIN). I did so to be sure my car was properly serviced and had no bad history. Just do your homework on your prospect car. Once you find one; you should experience the joy of jaguar ownership. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:37 AM

Thanks lou. That information is very helpful. I wonder if you purchased from Texasdirect? How was that experience? Have you purchased a certified Jag from a dealer in the past or are they all wholesale? Your thoughts on that, please. Thanks again, Lou.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gallo, I have looked many times at TexasCarsDirect, however, I've never ended up purchasing there. I just happened to find my current VDP at Snell Buick. My previous Jags were wholesale from an independent broker and from Overseas Motors pre-owned. I've learned that no matter what a salesperson tells you; always check out the written service history of the car. I also once used an independent auto inspector before purchase. That was worth the under $200 cost. These cars have gotten so electronically advanced that it is difficult to analyze a prospect just from one test drive (or more) and by my own close visual inspection. I've learned to walk away from high-pressure sales and sellers unwilling to allow inspections and disclose car records. Take your time with each prospect VDP Jag, ask plenty of questions, know where your car is from (i.e., was it from an area with recent floods?) who owned it (prior lease or individual owner), and get the service history (check books and records too see if all matches), and study the title history from CarFax. I've turned down other cars that were certified pre-owned once I studied the service history which the dealer was willing to provide me.
For example, once I noted that the owner of a Lexus had returned it several times for warranty work on a particular factory wheel and tire problem. Since the car had the same factory wheels; I elected not to buy it and have to also buy new wheels. I also use Edmunds.com to see how many Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) are out for any particular make/model. In the end; I weigh all the evidence together and make my decision whether or not I want the car. I do not let my emotions get the best of me anymore since there are always plenty of used cars around. I hope this helps.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Go for the Jag, no doubt. The interior on MBs always seemed to have too much plastic and felt too utilitarian to be. No where near the refinement of the Jags.. and as you mentioned the body lines are timeless.
Reliability wise you'll be fine. A few air suspension and throttle body issues here and there, but nothing that should be a deal breaker.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:08 AM

Much helpful, Lou. Thanks for taking the time. I had one bad experience with a certified MB 1997 E 350 and I'm gun shy. I really think the Jag is the nicest car at that price point by far. Thanks again. Gallo.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:49 PM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

I've purchased from Texas Cars Direct, a few times. Great place, great guys (Ask for Dewayne), some of the best prices around, all within the mileage range/condition of the car, etc. They don't buy junk.

Often, if I'm needing pricing info, I wll look on TCD site. If there is a comparable car/MY/Mileage, that price becomes my standard. Not the absolute lowest, but very close to the bottom.

No affiliation with TCD, other than a repeat customer.

Last edited by steve11; 05-04-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:00 AM

Thanks Stevetech. Again very helpful. Anyone have any dealings with the folks out of Arizona Azjags? I've spoken with them before and they seem very upfront and helpful. Jaguar Jack as he calls himself has never returned any of my calls but his staff has been very responsive.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:07 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

Can't help you w/AZJags, but I think half of the car dealers out West have salesmen named "Jack"...."Cactus Jack" comes to mind. I think this name is used quite often. Sorry, don't mean to make light of your question.

I would Vet them well before buying. Check BBB, google them and look for a Kudzu input or a Yellowbot input. People will seldom post positive experiences, but do go out of their way to post bad ones. Try AZ/Jags+complaints, if that is their street name...or try Jaguar Jack+complaints. If no negative posts, it still doesn't mean they're clean, but at least it is a step in the right direction.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I have bought two cars from Texascarsdirect in the last three years. The last one, a 2006 XKR coupe, I bought without going to see it, they shipped it to me.I have never done this before! My experience has been very good. I can't say that everyone will be happy but I have been.