XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Putting Her Back Together

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 06:16 PM
Received 127 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Putting Her Back Together

Thinking through the process of putting her back together. Any help from your experience is, as always, much appreciated.
  1. Attach radiator hoses & work towards back.
  2. Reinstall Thermostat Housing & attach hoses & ends of knock sensors.
  3. Install supercharger. Will see if I can slide TB roughly into place without bolting 1st.
  4. Install throttle body with EGR Valve with metal pipe attached to EGR (Or, would it be easier to attach the metal pipe at the bottom first?) Where possible, install small hoses before putting TB in place for ease of assembly?
  5. Install intercoolers, elbows, etc.
  6. Install upper plastic bulkhead.
  7. Attach heater hoses.
  8. Be sure that all electrics are attached.
  9. Fill with coolant
  10. Reattach the battery and push her out of the garage. Wife insists that when I crank her, she will not be in the garage in case she blows.
  11. Assuming she doesn’t ignite, leak or manifest a plethora of codes, take her for a spin.
  12. Break open the Pappy Van Winkle!!
  13. After 100 miles, replace all of the plastic.
  14. Host a celebratory dinner party & of course, everyone contributing will be invited.
Plan B: Call the wrecker!

The following users liked this post:
Jaroslav Záruba (06-18-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 08:42 PM
Received 199 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Xjrsteve
Thinking through the process of putting her back together. Any help from your experience is, as always, much appreciated.
First..... are you dead-certain you have accomplished all you NEED to do BEFORE you even START to "put her back together"?

04Xjrsteve (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 09:08 PM
Default Certainty

“So what do we do? Anything. Something. So long as we just don’t sit there. If we screw it up, start over. Try something else. If we wait until we’ve satisfied all the uncertainties, it may be too late.”Lee Ioccoca

Old 06-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Received 199 Likes on 179 Posts

“So what do we do? Anything. Something. So long as we just don’t sit there. If we screw it up, start over. Try something else. If we wait until we’ve satisfied all the uncertainties, it may be too late.”Lee Ioccoca
C. Alan Peyser's maxim:

"Try it."

"If it doesn't work? FIX it!"

"But fix it FAST!"

So.. what we *did do*, spring of 1960? Was 'borrow' a buddy's DAD's Sunoco garage only ONE of the two bays had a lift.
We were cleared hot from closing time 'til o-dawn's-early....the next morning.

We needed two nights in a row, to "fix it FAST", because...

...we buttoned-up the '55 Pontiac 289 V8 with all new piston rings, rod & main bearings... and left the oil pickup tube submerged in the oily black solvent of the parts washer.

AND NOT submerged in the clean oil in the sump ..

.... that those new-for-only a minute or three bearings could only WISH they had gotten a ration of lube oil from.

Or...... over-confidently "timing" a FIAT 124 DOHC perfectly... but exactly 180 degrees out of phase... so it needed new pistons, valves, valve guides with seals, "etc."

Checklists..... work best when a body makes more than one... at intervals.

Compare and find you left-off critical stuff, one vs the other, and each go? Human nature, that.

Learn & live...

Last edited by Thermite; 06-17-2024 at 09:41 PM.
04Xjrsteve (06-17-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 02:39 PM
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

1. Attach radiator hoses & work towards back.
  2. Reinstall Thermostat Housing & attach hoses & ends of knock sensors.
  3. Install supercharger. Will see if I can slide TB roughly into place without bolting 1st.
  4. Install throttle body with EGR Valve with metal pipe attached to EGR (Or, would it be easier to attach the metal pipe at the bottom first?) Where possible, install small hoses before putting TB in place for ease of assembly?
  5. Install intercoolers, elbows, etc.
  6. Install upper plastic bulkhead.
  7. Attach heater hoses.
  8. Be sure that all electrics are attached.
  9. Fill with coolant
  10. Reattach the battery and push her out of the garage. Wife insists that when I crank her, she will not be in the garage in case she blows.
  11. Assuming she doesn’t ignite, leak or manifest a plethora of codes, take her for a spin.
  12. Break open the Pappy Van Winkle!!
  13. After 100 miles, replace all of the plastic.
  14. Host a celebratory dinner party & of course, everyone contributing will be invited.
Plan B: Call the wrecker!
Hi Steve,
I wouldsay that you have to check the order of precedence tof your list of works. For me, it does not sound right.

You should work in the reverse order of the removal. For example, radiator hoses for me would be one of the last items, I would basically work from back to front. Also, the intercoolers should go in before the supercharger.

This might help, I believe thaat you should have it already:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...valley-134108/

Best regards,

Thomas

The following 2 users liked this post by Thomas-S.:
04Xjrsteve (06-18-2024), Thermite (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 03:17 PM

Thanks, Thomas.
Unsurprisingly, upon reflection, I think you are correct! I might temper your suggestion with installing the hoses between the bumper and the thermostat housing first & then move to the throttle body & move forward. However, that may be a distinction without a difference. In deference to the fact that I wouldn't have made it this far without your sage advice, I will certainly heed it now.

There is another piece of plastic near the bumper that needs to be removed for easier access to a couple of hoses.

The new hoses and a few of the seals arrive any moment. BTW: The service and prices from Harper have been as good as it gets. More on that note later.

Einen schönen tag! Steve S.

Thermite (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 08:11 PM
Default Have we got hoses or what??

All appears to be accounted for. I think it will be a minor miracle if I don't need something else. Oops, yep; don't think I needed to remove this one, but I sliced each end by 2"!. I can see if it will work after I get the intercoolers back on, but I doubt it.

Old 06-19-2024, 10:15 PM
Default Replace or Use Original?

Pictured is the TB with pipe attached. In my shipment, I received the gasket for the top of the pipe (Where it mounts to EGR) and the gasket for where the EGR bolts to TB.

Missing is the gasket where the pipe bolts at the bottom - pictured.

I forgot to order the brass ring for the brake vacuum hose; it will be here next week.

If you were me, would you replace the gasket or just clean up the old one? It looks to be in good shape.
Thanks and best,

Steve

Old 06-19-2024, 11:17 PM
Default The Hose is the Fuel Rail Connector Hose

Embarrassed!

Old 06-20-2024, 02:37 AM

Hi Steve,

As you have to place a further order anyway, in you r place I would get the gasket, as well. It's not expensive. Metal gaskets get deformed a bit when installing them, and it might be that they leak if reused.
Actually, when I did the job, I bought 2 or 3 of them, and a good thing, it was, as I had made amistake while reasembling and had to remove the EGR again...

Best regards,

Thomas

04Xjrsteve (06-20-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 05:55 PM
Default What About This Plan?

The following are loosely attached: TB Elbow at the pivot; Thermostat Housing

On the left side of the valley is the feed to the EGR - AJ88507. Should it go up as it does from the nipple? The white mark is at the center on the nipple. Or, should I do a 180 & have the white mark at the bottom? Then this hose would travel along the floor of the valley, but I think it would turn away from the EGR.

At the center & then to the right side of the valley is the Throttle Body return hose (aka Valley Hose) - AJ89746

The knock sensors are in position.

If the above is correct, will this work (connecting electrical along the way)?

Attach EGR

Attach Throttle Body to elbow

Attach hoses to EGR & TB

Attach Intercoolers

Attach Supercharger

Attach Throttle Body Elbow to Supercharger & tighten bolts 5 & 6 on the pivot.

Remove & replace remaining hoses

Fill with coolant & check for leaks

Will connecting EGR when I propose interfere with lifting the elbow to connect the last SC bolt? If so, when is the best time to attach the EGR?

Thanks & best,

Steve S.

Old 07-12-2024, 06:26 PM

I believe that I should wait until the SC is in before installing the thermostat housing?

Old 07-13-2024, 02:04 AM

The following are loosely attached: TB Elbow at the pivot; Thermostat Housing

On the left side of the valley is the feed to the EGR - AJ88507. Should it go up as it does from the nipple? The white mark is at the center on the nipple. Or, should I do a 180 & have the white mark at the bottom? Then this hose would travel along the floor of the valley, but I think it would turn away from the EGR.

TS: the white marks on the hoses have corresponding marks cast into the nipples to show how the hoses need to be installed. The hose has to go up, here's how it looks like when fitted and the SC installed (circled in red):

At the center & then to the right side of the valley is the Throttle Body return hose (aka Valley Hose) - AJ89746

The knock sensors are in position.
TS: I see in your picture that you have oriented the knock sensor cables facing a bit towards the center of the valley. I think that the cables should be routed more parallel to the valley border and exit the valley more on the sides of the valley, than as centrally as shown. The reason is that as they are shown in your picture they might interfere with the thermostat housing and become too short to reach the respective plugs.

If the above is correct, will this work (connecting electrical along the way)?

Attach EGR

Attach Throttle Body to elbow

Attach hoses to EGR & TB

Attach Intercoolers
TS: if I remember correctly, the intercoolers should go in BEFORE the TB and EGR. That's how I did it, at least...

Attach Supercharger

Attach Throttle Body Elbow to Supercharger & tighten bolts 5 & 6 on the pivot.

Remove & replace remaining hoses

Fill with coolant & check for leaks

Will connecting EGR when I propose interfere with lifting the elbow to connect the last SC bolt? If so, when is the best time to attach the EGR?
TS: I seem to recall that you first install the intercollers, then the TB and then the EGR.

Thanks & best,

Steve S.

Hi Steve,

I have inserted my answers into the text above.

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 07-13-2024, 02:08 AM

I believe that I should wait until the SC is in before installing the thermostat housing?
Hi Steve,

yes, you can install the thermostat housing after the SC, but, as you can see in the second picture of my answering post above, it is advisable to at least fit the big elbow hose to the Thermostat housing beforehand, as fixing the clamp at the valley side of it will be much more difficult with the SC installed.

Best regards,

Thomas

04Xjrsteve (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 03:58 AM
Received 177 Likes on 132 Posts

Hi Steve,
I think you should print out the pages from the service manual for refitting of supercharger in Section 18.50.15 and follow them. As a bonus the correct torque figures are given at each step. It covers everything right up to filling the coolant reservoir.
I followed this when reassembling my engine and had no issues. All you have to remember is the extra things you have done that need to be addressed.

Good luck!

Pete M

04Xjrsteve (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 10:00 AM

Thomas & Pete,

You are lifesavers! Thank you.

2 Things:

My photos show the forward ends of the Knock Sensors bolting to the top of the housing by the top Thermostat Housing retaining bolts. This looks awkward, but I am reasonably sure that is how they go. Am I correct? Thomas, I wrongly thought that the Knock Sensor Cables were to go under the forward SC support stand, hence, they were angled. Thanks for the correction.

Also, the valley hose: Does it go behind the plastic boot protecting the wiring bundles or in front of it? I suspect it may be obvious once I look more closely. It seems it should go just behind the TB Elbow & in front of the plastic boot.

Thanks!

Have a glorious day!

Steve S.

Old 07-13-2024, 01:50 PM

Hi Steve,

the following picture shows a connector of the knock sensor, circled in Green:

You can see both connectors of the knock sensors underneath the hoses in this picture:

The valley hose does not go behind the plastic boot, see the foloowing pictures:

Have a great day, too!

Best regards,

Thomas

04Xjrsteve (07-14-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 02:23 PM

WONDERFUL; thank YOU!!
Excellent pictures!
I removed the TB Elbow & will now put the SC on now that I know how that hose goes. Great tip re the hose under SC!
Best,

Steve

Old 07-13-2024, 03:11 PM

Thomas, Please compare my photo with yours showing the path of the TB end.

If you look at the hole clearly visible at the back. That hole is partially covered by that ****! plastic cover on my car. As long as the hose is where it should be under the SC (Great groove in the bottom of the insulation for the VH!).

I suspect that when I put the Elbow back I should see where the hose should go? Where it curves to the left, it seems like it should go behind the plastic boot.

Thanks,

Steve S.

Old 07-13-2024, 09:44 PM
Received 177 Likes on 132 Posts

Hi Steve,
Here's a photo I took that shows where I put the valley hoses. I think I differ with Thomas as to whether the supply hose goes under or over the supercharger, but the return hose should be on the left (driver's to you) side and cross over at the back to curl up around the throttle body.
The small U-shaped hose joins the outlet of the EGR to the inlet of the throttle body.

Pete M

04Xjrsteve (07-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Putting Her Back Together