XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Radio / CD / CDC cutting out intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default Radio / CD / CDC cutting out intermittently

Hi all, here's something that's been bugging me for a while now.......

The car is powered on, driving or stationary and the radio /CD or CDC whichever I'm listening to will momentarily cut out?
There seems absolutely no rhyme or reason to it, stationary or driving, hot or cold etc it just mutes.

This happened infrequently some time ago, I'm unsure if it's my imagination or not but it now seems more frequent and lasts for maybe 5-10 seconds or so, then comes back as normal.

Switching between modes has no effect whatsoever
Looking at this thread here....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...=radio+cutting

Does anyone else have these issues or any ideas?
Thanks, any relevant advice welcome

Old 12-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Do you only lose audio, or the entire thing (screen goes blank too)?

If only audio, I had something like this happen, and I tracked it down to a bad connector on my Fibre Optic cable loop. Since the system is in a loop (and digital and optical), I'd look for loose fit on one of the Fibre Optic connectors on all of your components in your AV stack (CDC, Nav, Phone Module etc). If there's no connection, it'll cut out. If it's loose, it may cut out and then come back again. Could also be caused by a slight break in the Fibre Optic cable, maybe lets light escape under some flex, but seals itself back up on its own. I replaced the connector, and was good to go, but if it's a brake in the cable itself, you'd have to replace the whole loop, or pull it apart and replace the offending one, assuming you can find it.

If you're loosing video too, it'll probably be in your head unit or leading up to your head unit.

Or maybe an old battery? ;-)

My apologies if I'm stating the obvious.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by anindyam
Do you only lose audio, or the entire thing (screen goes blank too)?

If only audio, I had something like this happen, and I tracked it down to a bad connector on my Fibre Optic cable loop. Since the system is in a loop (and digital and optical), I'd look for loose fit on one of the Fibre Optic connectors on all of your components in your AV stack (CDC, Nav, Phone Module etc). If there's no connection, it'll cut out. If it's loose, it may cut out and then come back again. Could also be caused by a slight break in the Fibre Optic cable, maybe lets light escape under some flex, but seals itself back up on its own. I replaced the connector, and was good to go, but if it's a brake in the cable itself, you'd have to replace the whole loop, or pull it apart and replace the offending one, assuming you can find it.

If you're loosing video too, it'll probably be in your head unit or leading up to your head unit.

Or maybe an old battery? ;-)

My apologies if I'm stating the obvious.

Thanks Andy, only audio is lost

Old 12-19-2015, 06:14 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Probably a loose or failing fibre connection.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Andy, must get it checked out, it's really starting to annoy the living daylights outta me.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey Jim I would definitely check the fibre optic connections. However if you have a factory amplifier that is usually the issue.

If you need I have extra jaguar fibre optic cables. You can have them

The following 2 users liked this post by Evan Trinh:
Deepstuff (04-15-2023), JimC64 (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Evan, thanks so much appreciate the comments and advice buddy.
I had the car in at Prestige today and had Osram nightbreaker H11's fitted to the foglights and super bright white led's to the door mirror lights, whilst there, I mentioned this issue.

Dougie also pointed to the factory fitted amp as the likely cause.

Point to note, that may be of relevance.
When I receive a phone call recently in the car, it sometimes takes 3 or 4 seconds before the sound actually comes through, some kind of pause event!
I'm wondering if this is all related, surely must be?

I have a warranty with the car and if its the amp then that's covered, I'm taking it in to Prestige again in the New Year to get to the bottom of this asap.

Thanks for any suggestions / comments
Jim

Old 12-30-2015, 07:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I shall be interested to see how you get on with this. Mine is not the same but whilst listening to radio 2 it losses audio for a split second every minuet or so i thought it might just be transmission but with the radio on in the garage it dose not happen on that one. It dose not happen on any other station ??? just radio 2. Most strange........ Something is amiss but I can't work out what as its just the one frequency.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Andy, mine was the same to be honest some time ago, although Id be surprised if it's just radio 2, have you tried listening to cd's and see if it happens there as well?

Mine used to be only for a second or two max and only every so often.
It now happens more frequently and also for longer periods, several seconds or more sometimes.

Obviously I'll update as and when I find out and advise outcome

Best
Jim

Old 12-30-2015, 11:13 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My system cuts out as well but only when I hit a bump in the road. I thought it was an intermittent loose ground. Also notice that I get poor radio reception when the front or rear desfrost is on,

Will check Fibre optics soon but feel I another issue.

Woodford Jag.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:23 AM

I have not put a CD in the car yet as the Knock sensors are fubar !!! but I have listened to all the other radio stations and they sre fine so I'm thinking the aerial. There are 4 bands of the demister not working as the tracks are damaged so maybe this is something to do with it. Time will tell as it's on the todo list, but getting it running properly is the first job. So far Ive only managed to get a couple of hundred miles of driving with no "restricted performance" this car is definity a baptism of fire for me.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:45 AM

Jim,

I had the very same problem, onlyI noticed it would cut out more frequently when it was warm outside. Probably does not apply to you neck of the woods. :-)

I took the amp out, put it back in to make sure all the connections were good. Looked at the wiring in the vicinity too, checking for bad connections. Did not solve the problem.
Then bought a used amp on eBay and swapped it with the original one. Did not solve the problem.
Put the old one back in, but before that, reset the car (remove negative lead, remove positive lead, touch positive lead to negative terminal). Solved the problem. Haven't had the issue since.

Hope it helps,

Bart

JimC64 (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for that info Bart, could come in realty useful, I'll let the Jag guys know as if they do diagnose the amp as the possible cause they'll be replacing it under warranty hopefully

Cheers

Old 01-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Well, Prestige replaced my amp today with a used one they had in stock......
To be honest, I've noticed no difference and sure the radio cut out a few times today, He had the diagnostic machine on it and no codes showing......

Back to the drawing board I think.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64
Well, Prestige replaced my amp today with a used one they had in stock......
To be honest, I've noticed no difference and sure the radio cut out a few times today, He had the diagnostic machine on it and no codes showing......

Back to the drawing board I think.
Jim if they replaced your amplifier. 100% the problem is in the fiber optic line. If there is a bend or pinch in the line the system goes nuts. Now when sound goes away press CDC and NAV and see if they switch on the screen.

If it does then only the optic line going to and from the amplifier is bad. You can easily take apart the cables and insert a new end. Start by unplugging the main line coming in from front of vehicle in the trunk. Then the ones on the entertainment stack and amp. Take the complete harness out of the vehicle. Inspect to see if you see a pinch or bend.

I have extra cables. If your confident on swapping out the lines I can ship it to you. Very easy! Im so sure this is your problem. Now there is only one more scenario

If one of the speakers in the vehicle is grounding out. (Touching Metal) but to test you need to lose sound first and test for ground with a probe every speaker. If one of the lines shows ground while no sound there it is.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Evan Trinh
Jim if they replaced your amplifier. 100% the problem is in the fiber optic line. If there is a bend or pinch in the line the system goes nuts. Now when sound goes away press CDC and NAV and see if they switch on the screen.

If it does then only the optic line going to and from the amplifier is bad. You can easily take apart the cables and insert a new end. Start by unplugging the main line coming in from front of vehicle in the trunk. Then the ones on the entertainment stack and amp. Take the complete harness out of the vehicle. Inspect to see if you see a pinch or bend.
I have extra cables. If your confident on swapping out the lines I can ship it to you. Very easy! Im so sure this is your problem. Now there is only one more scenario

If one of the speakers in the vehicle is grounding out. (Touching Metal) but to test you need to lose sound first and test for ground with a probe every speaker. If one of the lines shows ground while no sound there it is.
Hi Evan, thanks for your input, I was hoping you would see and chime in as I know this is your territory.
My Indy has mentioned about trying the phone module next, what's your thoughts on this??
As you said when sound is lost, the screen is still active and I can switch between modes but sound is still lost, so cables are looking favourite you reckon?

Thanks in advance
Much appreciated

Jim

Old 01-10-2016, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64
Hi Evan, thanks for your input, I was hoping you would see and chime in as I know this is your territory.
My Indy has mentioned about trying the phone module next, what's your thoughts on this??
As you said when sound is lost, the screen is still active and I can switch between modes but sound is still lost, so cables are looking favourite you reckon?

Thanks in advance
Much appreciated

Jim
Yes Jim! If sound is lost but you can still switch through phone, NAV, CDC etc.. And see the screen change all normal, that means the fiber optic loop sees all those components fine. If you unplug one of the fiber optic connections everything should not work because they are all looped. NO LOOP means NO Connection.

I am very confident you will be able to find and fix the issue. Worst case if you can unplug the Fiber optic harness get it to me. I will swap all the ends with new ones and when you get it back plug and play. The problem should be eliminated.

So you have factory BT phone module, NAV, CDC, Amp ? That means your harness has Four fiber connections and then loops back to the front. If there is enough slack, swap the optic connection from amp with either NAV CDC or Phone module. Lets say you swap amplifier and phone module optic plug. If the line is bad or in this case When the line goes bad hit a bump on the road (no sound) you should lose phone this time, but have perfect sound

Let me know, and lets pin point this and get you going buddy. I know it can be frustrating. I love your car!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Evan Trinh:
Deepstuff (04-15-2023), JimC64 (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Evan Trinh
Yes Jim! If sound is lost but you can still switch through phone, NAV, CDC etc.. And see the screen change all normal, that means the fiber optic loop sees all those components fine. If you unplug one of the fiber optic connections everything should not work because they are all looped. NO LOOP means NO Connection.

I am very confident you will be able to find and fix the issue. Worst case if you can unplug the Fiber optic harness get it to me. I will swap all the ends with new ones and when you get it back plug and play. The problem should be eliminated.

So you have factory BT phone module, NAV, CDC, Amp ? That means your harness has Four fiber connections and then loops back to the front. If there is enough slack, swap the optic connection from amp with either NAV CDC or Phone module. Lets say you swap amplifier and phone module optic plug. If the line is bad or in this case When the line goes bad hit a bump on the road (no sound) you should lose phone this time, but have perfect sound

Let me know, and lets pin point this and get you going buddy. I know it can be frustrating. I love your car!!

Thanks Evan, appreciate the time taken to add comments and advice, I'll take it on board for sure.
For now though, I've just sorted out a timing belt kit and water pump for my Audi A6 and also sourcing a battery for her ( they're the all singing all dancing heavy duty versions ) then I hope to have more time to get back to this.

Snap - I love your car too, wicked in white and so many mods / updates, a real beauty, surely a keeper for a while with all the time / effort / money you've put into her

Evan Trinh (01-14-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

Well, back in to Prestige in the morning.....

The plan is for them to replace the phone module as they believe it may be the issue ( although I think that Evan's theory is more likely )

It's being paid for under warranty so no harm in trying it out I guess?
We'll see.....
Whilst we're at it, I'm going to get them to replace the amp with my original which clearly wasn't the problem, then we'll go from there I guess.

I'll report back if it solves the issue or more likely if I have to go down the route that Evan has suggested
Thanks

Old 01-28-2016, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

Ok so that's the original factory amp back in the car ( the swapped out unit mad no difference so that wasn't the issue )
We now have a replacement phone module installed - its a used ( known working in good order unit )......seemingly can't get them new now??

Anyhow, all back together again.
Unsure on the radio / sound etc cutting out as before yet, still too early to tell as I haven't spent enough time In the car.
Having said that.....

I made a telephone call and all was well, I then asked Peter to call me back, as usual I accepted the call and there was still this 4 second gap, from when I received until I could actually hear them?

Still early days, but my best guess would be to say that it hasn't changed anything and the problem remains.
As I said before, it looks like Evans suggestion will be the winner.

I know it's not the end of the world, but still a right royal PITA nonetheless